2012 Explorer = Excellent SUV
By jwinco on
2012 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 6A)
Recently purchased a 2012 Explorer XLT 4WD for use in Colorado. Traded in an F-150 with the 6.2-liter V8 engine primarily for the mileage and it's paid off -- mileage is about 30% better, averaging 21.5 MPG in mixed town/highway. Overall have been more impressed with the Explorer than I thought I would be. Drives and handles beautifully for an SUV -- I don't agree at all with some of the magazine reviews that the ride is too mushy. Extremely comfortable interior that is whisper quiet even at highway speeds. It's just a pleasure to be in and drive this SUV.
Favorite Features
Many favorite features. Design/styling is one - very pleasing. Surprising one is automatic rear liftgate. Didn't want it and now find that I use it - happily - almost every time I drive. Build quality seems excellent - no squeaks/rattles. I like all the on-screen graphics in MyFord Touch, which I found pretty easy to get used to. SYNC is also great for hands-free conversations and telling various systems what you want done. Interior comfort is outstanding, very quiet, and I've been an a 2,000-mile road trip in this vehicle. Good sound system. Good handling for an SUV. Have been off road but I don't think this is meant for serious off-roading like the truck I had.
Suggested Improvements
I'd like to see more storage space up front and more cubby-holes around the rest of the vehicle. Not crazy about the graphics for the nav system - think they're a little crude. I also think Ford should put the V6 EcoBoost engine in this vehicle. If it had been available I would have bought it, because the one complaint -- and it's a minor one -- I have about the Explorer is that it could use just a bit more oomph off the line and in passing situations. High performance is not why I bought the vehicle but there are times when you need it -- lots of two-lane highways around here and some more grunt for passing would be appreciated.