Computer not functional
By deb93 on
2012 Ford Explorer 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 6A)
The computer system on the new explorer lacks the tactile functions necessary to safely drive the vehicle. I also drive a 2012 Infiniti. The Infiniti computer system permits BOTH touch screen functionality AND touch and click key strokes allowing the driver to 'feel' that the commands have been accepted by the computer. Other car makes have figured this out. Also, the trip computer also 'freezes' occasionally (2 times for me in 2 months), forcing me to pull over, turn off the car, and reset it. Ford needs to change these things asap.
Favorite Features
four wheel drive and the additional calculation displayed on the trip computer such as elapsed time time and MPG. 3rd row for passengers, ease which the 3 rows folds flat. the reply/rewind function on the sirius radio.
Suggested Improvements
The Microsoft touch screen computer system creates an extremely dangerous situation for the driver. There is no difference between using this system to operate the hot/cold air, radio, or nav system and texting on an android done. This type of touch screen should be outlawed. All main controls such as seat heaters, air temp controls, preset radio controls, to name a few, are managed through the touch screen. As the driver is not able to 'feel' the clicks, the driver needs to turn his/her gaze to the center screen as many as 4 or more times to check that the process to change any of the above is occurring. I am addicted to my droid and I feel safer using it while driving than I am the car pc
By newfordowner
on 09/06/12 11:28 AM (PDT)

OMG...I thought I was going crazy when the computer froze up - we had the navigation system going and the screen went blank! Thank God for Google Navigator on the phone otherwise we would be lost! The Touch Screen Computer has frozen up multiple times - I have reported and the dealership only states it is an issue...and they just need to reset it. Seriously??? I just hope no one gets injured by using their cell phone in the vehicle while driving because the computer system goes down again!