Almost the perfect car for us
By kris45 on
2012 Ford Explorer Limited 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 6A)
We just acquire a 2012 Limited in silver with the EcoBoost engine fully loaded. My initial impression are just Wow. We love love this car. The interior is luxurious and well put together, the configuration of the seats is nice and flexible. I do agree with an earlier review that allowing the middle row of seats to slide forward and back a little would be helpful. The Tech: I am a big tech guy, love my toys and this car fits right in with them. Voice control, touch screen, tons of options and configuration, color changing ambient lighting is cool. Proximity key is KEY! I didn't even look at the base or XLT editions because they didn't offer this feature. (continued in Fav features!...)
Favorite Features
(... continued from Review) i wasn't too excited about the power liftgate but it came with the package. now I LOVE it. easy to open and close with your arms full of stuff, easy for my wife who can barely reach the gate when it's open, to hit the button and it closes. The My Ford Touch and SYNC are slightly glitchy and pretty sluggish, frustrating if you are in a hurry but I'm hopeful some software updates will fix or improve them soon. They are functional and cool enough to outweigh the occasional inconvenience of the screen freezing up for a minute. Auto park is a cool feature, probably won't use it much but it's neat. Handling is superb. Interior space is superb. Comfort is superb.
Suggested Improvements
updates to fix My Ford Touch and SYNC I am very disappointed with the efficiency of the so-called "EcoBoost" engine. I wish I had a v6 version I could drive for a while to compare if the loss of 50 HP is worth whatever gain the EcoBoost has in MPG. When I first started driving this car it was around 11.5 MPG city. I quickly learned how to adjust my driving habits (accelerate very slowly from stops, plan ahead to maximize cruising and minimize changes in speed, etc) and have gotten to about 17.9-18.2MPG with consistency. This is ok but I wonder if the 4cyl engine just struggles too much to move the mass of the car and maybe loses it's edge over the 6cyl struggling to overcome the inertia...