Used 2012 Ford Explorer Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2012 Ford Explorer - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Explorer model:

Explorer 2012 FWD good for the city but not for the snow
By dryan865

2012 Ford Explorer Limited 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

We are a Ford family and have owned at least one Ford car as long as we have been married. We purchased the 2012 Ford Explorer FWD 3.5L V6 Limited in March and have driven it on one long road trip (5K driven). We like the features and quality of the vehicle. However, in the snow it was very disappointing. We were misled when we purchased the vehicle by the dealership. (We were told chains were an option) After I got stuck in the snow and returned to purchase chains from the dealership, I was informed by the parts dept that Ford does not support any model of snow chains for the car. We are living in the Pacific NW currently and would not dare take a road trip in the winter with it.

Some of our favorite features: * Leg Room in the back seat is awesome * With 3rd row seats down, luggage area in the back is huge. * The vista sun roof - nice * Quality of the interior is very good * Ford Sync system is great

Ford should provide a snow-chain remedy/solution for FWD owners. Gas mileage is good for an SUV but not in the range on the car’s factory sticker – the best we have been able to achieve is 19.5 on the highway.

Ecoboost Gas Mileage
By bctrane46

2012 Ford Explorer Limited 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

I love my new Explorer but the gas mileage is not as advertised. I would not have spent an extra $1,000.00 to get worst highway gas mileage than a V6 Explorer. I highly recommend the V6 verses the 2.0 liter ecoboost. After 2,000 miles and resetting my MPG counter after each fill-up I only get around 21 MPG on the highway at best. Combined mileage stays between 18 to 19 MPG which is ok but I am very dissappointed in the highway MPG. I know people with the V6 who get 24 to 25 MPG on the highway with their FWD Explorers. But we love everything else about the vehicle. It is a well equipped Limited and the ride is simply awesome and very comfortable. Go Ford, but drop the 2.0 unless MPG improves!

Seats, Blind Spot Intervention, Rear Camera, Rear AC, Stereo, HID Headlights, Smooth Ride

Better Gas Mileage With Ecoboost

I wanted an SUV not a Mini-Van
By robert200

2012 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

At first I was excited to get my new 2012 Ford Explorer but that quickly faded. After a few months of towing my trailer around with it problems started to arise. I didn’t think that my sea doo trailer “which is well under the tow limit” was going to be a problem but after bring my explorer back into the service department for the third time the service writer practically interrogated me about how I use the vehicle. After I explained that I either use it to tow my dirt bike or sea doo trailer he then says to me “Well that the problem, it’s not meant for all that” I was shocked by this response considering I bought an SUV for this purpose. I went to the dealership the next day to pick up my explorer then I drove across the street to the Dodge and traded it for a new Durango.

Looks good, comfortable and is filled with many amenities

Rename it and then design and build a real Explorer

2012 Limited...nice
By erock901

2012 Ford Explorer Limited 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

Coming from a 2003 Acura MDX, this new Explorer handles and performs much better as expected. It does feel a little heavy in the corners but body roll is well controled under normal driving. The 2nd row seating isn't as wide as the MDX. The 3rd row is much more comfortable than the MDX. Acceleration feels a little slower than expected but not bad. MyTouch/Sync is ok. I expected a lot better/more advanced functionallity since I have basically the same features in my 6yr old Lexus. Overall, I'm happy with the Explorer because of it's handling and saftey features. And it satisfied my desire to buy domestic.

The handling is much better than I expected. The relaltive 'roominess' of the 3rd row is good. All the safety features of the BLIS system are great.

The steering wheel should have a powered tilt/telescoping feature. And it should be tied into the memory seating. The 2nd row center seat is unusable by any adult. The seat belt buckles protrude up into the seating space so that if someone is sitting in that center position, the two outboard seat belts cannot be locked into their buckles. I might as well have just gotten two bucket seats for the 2nd row. The gas tank filler door should be unlockable from the inside near the driver.

Love the new Explorer!
By heymark

2012 Ford Explorer Limited 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

Previously drove Tahoes, last was 2008 LT. Tahoe is a great SUV, but wanted something smaller & less top heavy. Test drove the Ford and was impressed. After 6 months of owning, I'm still impressed. The ride is extremely smooth and quiet, especially on highway. I've not had the problems with Myford Touch locking or freezing, but have given up on using voice commands. Interior is luxurious with upgraded seats. 2nd row has cramped leg room. I'm 6' and briefcase barely fits between rows. Limited's features are awesome.

Best feature is the smooth, quiet ride. Other reviews panned the car for the Mytouch issues (probably justified), but they never talk about how it drives. Test drive one and you'll be impressed. Other faves; great looks, inside and out. Power liftgate, flat folding 3rd row, stereo Bluetooth, a/c seats and remote start. Sony audio with subwoofer sounds great. 3rd row has decent room. USB slots are great. Put all my music on an 8gb compact USB, and it reads titles and artists on the screen. Even got playlists to work.

Had the whistling noise on windshield at hwy speeds. Dealer replaced pillars and noise is gone. Left side of drivers floor has narrow foot room. Give a v8 option. The v6 is ok, but seems a little under powered from a standing start. Power for passing is good. Ford just announced a Sport model with V6 turbo ecoboost. Might be the answer. Audio has a hard drive, but doesn't allow music transfer from USB. Lame. I upgraded to the new touch and nav system. I'm not wowed by any of the changes. Need to reduce all of the black plastic on exterior. Worried it may fade and turn grey over time.