2012 Ford Explorer SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Explorer model:
Explorer Limited in Naples
By vinced on 02/28/12 15:50 PM (PST)

2012 Ford Explorer SUV Limited 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

I've driven the car for about 2 months. Overall I like the car very much. Was worried about the reliability with the reviews by the pro's. So far only issue is the My Ford Touch and Nav. I've had issues with voice command, some times does't work some times does't understand, some times system goes blank. This must be fixed with new software in March some time. The car runs great the engine has plenty of power and is smooth. The electronic steering is great and love the electronics overall. The power lift gate is a must and the rear power seats is excellent and eliminates the back of the rear seat controls, looks bettor. Controls LCD controls for radio, Nav, Air, and and phone-

a real disappointment
By stillsearchun on 02/28/12 13:43 PM (PST)

2012 Ford Explorer SUV Limited 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

I've had my 2012 Explorer for 15000 miles. I wish I didn't. The sync, even upgrade, freezes. It happened on a 1300 mile trip and I was without Nav, radio, etc. for 16 hours of driving over two days. Not the first time. It also has very poor voice recognition, takes 15 to 20 minutes to connect to my phone. The touch controls are very distracting and dangerous, and balky. Also, set the dash display the way you like for a long trip, stop for gas, and when you restart, EVERYTHING has defaulted to factory settings. It seems intentionally designed to frustrate and endanger the driver. Also, the side view mirrors are too small. There is no way to adjust them to eliminate a massive blindspo

Almost the perfect car for us
By kris45 on 02/21/12 11:27 AM (PST)

2012 Ford Explorer SUV Limited 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

We just acquire a 2012 Limited in silver with the EcoBoost engine fully loaded. My initial impression are just Wow. We love love this car. The interior is luxurious and well put together, the configuration of the seats is nice and flexible. I do agree with an earlier review that allowing the middle row of seats to slide forward and back a little would be helpful. The Tech: I am a big tech guy, love my toys and this car fits right in with them. Voice control, touch screen, tons of options and configuration, color changing ambient lighting is cool. Proximity key is KEY! I didn't even look at the base or XLT editions because they didn't offer this feature. (continued in Fav features!...)

They lied
By tsarver on 02/15/12 21:28 PM (PST)

2012 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

After reading of the sync and mytouch problems I asked several times before I bought my explorer if the problems were fixed. I was assured that these problems were updated and would not be a problem with my vehicle. Four days after I bought it, a hour from home in a snow storm of course the system freezes. Called sync support and was told I need to stop the car and pull a fuse to reset it, nice. They said there are still problems and a update is months away. I have had the vehicle a week now and it has done this twice now. The dealer lied to make the sale knowing there are still problems. When I had the repair history ran it showed there was sync issues with this vehicle before I bought it.

I want it all!!
By boatlover on 02/12/12 04:21 AM (PST)

2012 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

I bought the 2012 Explorer XLT-EcoBoost. Beautiful SUV!! I've had issues with the transmission from the word go. They fixed it I thnk-changed the Valve Body. It shifted hard when the weather starting getting cold. Still has a little hard shifting. The right side of the windshied is very noisy-worse when it's very windy outside. When it raining out, you can hear every raindrop on the top!! But the vehicle is topnotch luxury!! I love that part of it. I feel very safe in it. Has all the bells and whistles I want in a car. Come on Ford-lets get it all figured out and all in sync!!

I can't believe I bought a Ford!
By molvaro on 01/15/12 13:13 PM (PST)

2012 Ford Explorer SUV Limited 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

I've always had an import vehicle... high end SUV's.. IE Lexux RX 350.. Audi's... etc... My wife was looking to upgrade her 08 RX 350.. as we have 2 kids and were looking to get something with more space.. but the luxury of the lexus... Someone suggested the Ford Explorer.. and I've driven the old ones and thought they were terrible... then came the new redesign.. WHAT AN AMAZING VEHICLE... Quiet, Comfortable, Luxurious.. just an amazing longterm vehicle.. The test drive and features will sell you in a heart beat if your apprehensive and buying a domestic, WELL DONE FORD, WELL DONE.

Overall impressed but....
By djones67 on 01/03/12 12:53 PM (PST)

2012 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

About a month ago I was given a new explorer as a rental while on a business trip. Overall I was impressed with the vehicle except for the annoying wind noise that came from the right side of the wind shield. The wind noise was extremely noticable at speeds above 60 mph. I don't know if this was problem with just my vehicle or if others have experienced the same issue. I was impressed with the power from the engine. The ride was comfortable and the seats were supportive. Minus the wind noise I would give the explorer high marks however the wind noise was bad enough that I couldn't live with it on a daily basis. Hopefully it was just a problem with my vehicle.

2012 Explorer = Excellent SUV
By jwinco on 12/29/11 08:41 AM (PST)

2012 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

Recently purchased a 2012 Explorer XLT 4WD for use in Colorado. Traded in an F-150 with the 6.2-liter V8 engine primarily for the mileage and it's paid off -- mileage is about 30% better, averaging 21.5 MPG in mixed town/highway. Overall have been more impressed with the Explorer than I thought I would be. Drives and handles beautifully for an SUV -- I don't agree at all with some of the magazine reviews that the ride is too mushy. Extremely comfortable interior that is whisper quiet even at highway speeds. It's just a pleasure to be in and drive this SUV.

Rock Solid, Fun to drive, great on gas, value for money...
By jacob40 on 12/27/11 02:16 AM (PST)

2012 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

I was not a big fan of American vehicles, after considerable research and after waiting one year I purchased a 2012 full lodaded XLT model, my first American vehicle. After 45 days & 2500 km, I am glad I made this choice, do not have any problems to report except for some samll glitches in the voice command, need to get the software updated. The Exterior looks great, engine is crisp and refined. Overall the vehicle feels rock solid, the stiffer suspension provides a nice sporty ride. Engine power delivery is excellent with the torque peaking at lower rpm compared to competition. The interior is rich and sophisticated which you typically find in more expensive luxury SUVs.

OK but ...
By rogerd7 on 12/15/11 14:43 PM (PST)

2012 Ford Explorer SUV Limited 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

The look is great, the ride is nice but there is a wind noise around the windshield that is very annoying. The vehicle is very quiet escept for this noise. It is especially bad if you are driving into a head wind. Dealer says 2011s had this problem but Ford says they fixed it for 2012 -- they did not. Also I just got a crack in my windshield and no replacements are available yet. Thanks Ford I like driving my expensive, new vehicle around with a big crack in the windshield. I am also wondering if the cracked windshield may relate to the noise coming from the windshield since the vehicle was new.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2012 Ford Explorer Suv in VA is:

$134 per month*