2012 Ford Explorer Base SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2012 Ford Explorer - Consumer Reviews

2012 Explorer Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Explorer model:

Sort Reviews by

2012 Best Explorer Ever
By rockrat

2012 Ford Explorer SUV Limited 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

Bought this Explorer several weeks ago and must say the ride is fantastic. Very quiet, excellent handling, acceleration much better than my last Explorer V8. Four wheel drive works excellent, doesn't need a low 4WD because the first gear of the 6 speed is so low. Goes anywhere. Still learning all the electronics, loving them all so far. Getting on average 20MPG, should increase once the vehicle is broken in. Highly recommend this vehicle to everyone, so comfortable and easy to drive!

Favorite Features

Body style, interior layout, dual sunroofs, Ford My Touch voice activation, handling.

Suggested Improvements

More sensitive touch screen. Larger icons for managing while driving. Told upgrades are coming in 2013 which should address these.

Wheel Well Linners Poorly Designed
By ned12

2012 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

Recently purchased 2012 Ford Explorer XLT. Have been very disappointed when driving it through mud, slush or snow. All the road debris (snow, slush, etc.) flows through the wheel well liners because of manufactured holes and inadequate linner size (too small). The door tracks and inside rails are a dirty mess after driving though any road debris. Ford says this is the way they designed and offer no fix. Dealer suggested we buy/install mud flaps. They have had other complaints about this condition.

Favorite Features

Cruise control is very smooth. Nice ride. SYNC is working fine.

Suggested Improvements

Ford needs to replace the wheel well liners and get correct size for this vehicle. How about giving a free year of navigation system like GM does with On-Star. Also, be aware that you cannot get heated leather seats in this model unless you get My Ford Touch.

Explorer Limited in Naples
By vinced

2012 Ford Explorer SUV Limited 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

I've driven the car for about 2 months. Overall I like the car very much. Was worried about the reliability with the reviews by the pro's. So far only issue is the My Ford Touch and Nav. I've had issues with voice command, some times does't work some times does't understand, some times system goes blank. This must be fixed with new software in March some time. The car runs great the engine has plenty of power and is smooth. The electronic steering is great and love the electronics overall. The power lift gate is a must and the rear power seats is excellent and eliminates the back of the rear seat controls, looks bettor. Controls LCD controls for radio, Nav, Air, and and phone-

Favorite Features

are excellent and easy to use with the touch screen. Favorite features: Power Lift gate, Side mirror power fold, great in garage and tight spaces (should auto close when car shuts down). The rear camera and size of LCD provides a fantastic view with the ability to zoom. I also like the ability to navigate on the LCD through the radio's FM, Sirius, phone and AM channels, very easy and provides great flexibility. I also like the Fab's/IKT'S memory feature to know my adjustments (seat, side mirrors etc) when unlocking the car. So many other nice electronics and also like the power socket and rear air conditioning controls. Nice headrest adjustments and also power seats controls.

Suggested Improvements

Must fix My Ford Touch glitches and the voice control's ability to understand. Should have went to Apple but maybe Microsoft will fix with March update. Also like to see the middle seat's ability to slide and the electronic tilt steering wheel added to the 2013's will be a good upgrade. Overall great SUV.

a real disappointment
By stillsearchun

2012 Ford Explorer SUV Limited 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

I've had my 2012 Explorer for 15000 miles. I wish I didn't. The sync, even upgrade, freezes. It happened on a 1300 mile trip and I was without Nav, radio, etc. for 16 hours of driving over two days. Not the first time. It also has very poor voice recognition, takes 15 to 20 minutes to connect to my phone. The touch controls are very distracting and dangerous, and balky. Also, set the dash display the way you like for a long trip, stop for gas, and when you restart, EVERYTHING has defaulted to factory settings. It seems intentionally designed to frustrate and endanger the driver. Also, the side view mirrors are too small. There is no way to adjust them to eliminate a massive blindspo

Favorite Features

The off button. I can't wait to get out of the thing. My other car is an Avalanche. It is more comfy, safer designed, more ergonomic, and has everything the mytouch system has in a better designed, intuitive package. I really think refunds should be offered to those of us stuck with these lemons.

Suggested Improvements

Fire the designers of the the dashboard systems. Offer refunds to owners of vehicles with the mytouch. Put side view mirrors on that can be adjusted to eliminate the huge blindspot. The little blindspot detecting lights are a dangerous joke. They often fail to respond. On a recent trip I had a semi! in my blindspot and the indicator light failed to come on.

Almost the perfect car for us
By kris45

2012 Ford Explorer SUV Limited 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

We just acquire a 2012 Limited in silver with the EcoBoost engine fully loaded. My initial impression are just Wow. We love love this car. The interior is luxurious and well put together, the configuration of the seats is nice and flexible. I do agree with an earlier review that allowing the middle row of seats to slide forward and back a little would be helpful. The Tech: I am a big tech guy, love my toys and this car fits right in with them. Voice control, touch screen, tons of options and configuration, color changing ambient lighting is cool. Proximity key is KEY! I didn't even look at the base or XLT editions because they didn't offer this feature. (continued in Fav features!...)

Favorite Features

(... continued from Review) i wasn't too excited about the power liftgate but it came with the package. now I LOVE it. easy to open and close with your arms full of stuff, easy for my wife who can barely reach the gate when it's open, to hit the button and it closes. The My Ford Touch and SYNC are slightly glitchy and pretty sluggish, frustrating if you are in a hurry but I'm hopeful some software updates will fix or improve them soon. They are functional and cool enough to outweigh the occasional inconvenience of the screen freezing up for a minute. Auto park is a cool feature, probably won't use it much but it's neat. Handling is superb. Interior space is superb. Comfort is superb.

Suggested Improvements

updates to fix My Ford Touch and SYNC I am very disappointed with the efficiency of the so-called "EcoBoost" engine. I wish I had a v6 version I could drive for a while to compare if the loss of 50 HP is worth whatever gain the EcoBoost has in MPG. When I first started driving this car it was around 11.5 MPG city. I quickly learned how to adjust my driving habits (accelerate very slowly from stops, plan ahead to maximize cruising and minimize changes in speed, etc) and have gotten to about 17.9-18.2MPG with consistency. This is ok but I wonder if the 4cyl engine just struggles too much to move the mass of the car and maybe loses it's edge over the 6cyl struggling to overcome the inertia...

They lied
By tsarver

2012 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

After reading of the sync and mytouch problems I asked several times before I bought my explorer if the problems were fixed. I was assured that these problems were updated and would not be a problem with my vehicle. Four days after I bought it, a hour from home in a snow storm of course the system freezes. Called sync support and was told I need to stop the car and pull a fuse to reset it, nice. They said there are still problems and a update is months away. I have had the vehicle a week now and it has done this twice now. The dealer lied to make the sale knowing there are still problems. When I had the repair history ran it showed there was sync issues with this vehicle before I bought it.

Favorite Features

Like the interior room and style

Suggested Improvements

Dont sell a car with software issues that renders the functions useless, and dont lie to your customers

I want it all!!
By boatlover

2012 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

I bought the 2012 Explorer XLT-EcoBoost. Beautiful SUV!! I've had issues with the transmission from the word go. They fixed it I thnk-changed the Valve Body. It shifted hard when the weather starting getting cold. Still has a little hard shifting. The right side of the windshied is very noisy-worse when it's very windy outside. When it raining out, you can hear every raindrop on the top!! But the vehicle is topnotch luxury!! I love that part of it. I feel very safe in it. Has all the bells and whistles I want in a car. Come on Ford-lets get it all figured out and all in sync!!

Favorite Features

The style, and the luxury of the vehicle inside and out. It's beautiful!!

Suggested Improvements

The noise in the windshield-and the rooftop.

I can't believe I bought a Ford!
By molvaro

2012 Ford Explorer SUV Limited 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

I've always had an import vehicle... high end SUV's.. IE Lexux RX 350.. Audi's... etc... My wife was looking to upgrade her 08 RX 350.. as we have 2 kids and were looking to get something with more space.. but the luxury of the lexus... Someone suggested the Ford Explorer.. and I've driven the old ones and thought they were terrible... then came the new redesign.. WHAT AN AMAZING VEHICLE... Quiet, Comfortable, Luxurious.. just an amazing longterm vehicle.. The test drive and features will sell you in a heart beat if your apprehensive and buying a domestic, WELL DONE FORD, WELL DONE.

Favorite Features

Mysync, Adaptive speed Control, Voice controls, Blilnd spot detectors, power everything (liftgate, seats,etc) proximity key, just everything you can think of this thing has.. it even parallel parks itself... Huge bang for the buck.

Suggested Improvements

a dvd to actually explain on the options in your vehicle.

Overall impressed but....
By djones67

2012 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

About a month ago I was given a new explorer as a rental while on a business trip. Overall I was impressed with the vehicle except for the annoying wind noise that came from the right side of the wind shield. The wind noise was extremely noticable at speeds above 60 mph. I don't know if this was problem with just my vehicle or if others have experienced the same issue. I was impressed with the power from the engine. The ride was comfortable and the seats were supportive. Minus the wind noise I would give the explorer high marks however the wind noise was bad enough that I couldn't live with it on a daily basis. Hopefully it was just a problem with my vehicle.

2012 Explorer = Excellent SUV
By jwinco

2012 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

Recently purchased a 2012 Explorer XLT 4WD for use in Colorado. Traded in an F-150 with the 6.2-liter V8 engine primarily for the mileage and it's paid off -- mileage is about 30% better, averaging 21.5 MPG in mixed town/highway. Overall have been more impressed with the Explorer than I thought I would be. Drives and handles beautifully for an SUV -- I don't agree at all with some of the magazine reviews that the ride is too mushy. Extremely comfortable interior that is whisper quiet even at highway speeds. It's just a pleasure to be in and drive this SUV.

Favorite Features

Many favorite features. Design/styling is one - very pleasing. Surprising one is automatic rear liftgate. Didn't want it and now find that I use it - happily - almost every time I drive. Build quality seems excellent - no squeaks/rattles. I like all the on-screen graphics in MyFord Touch, which I found pretty easy to get used to. SYNC is also great for hands-free conversations and telling various systems what you want done. Interior comfort is outstanding, very quiet, and I've been an a 2,000-mile road trip in this vehicle. Good sound system. Good handling for an SUV. Have been off road but I don't think this is meant for serious off-roading like the truck I had.

Suggested Improvements

I'd like to see more storage space up front and more cubby-holes around the rest of the vehicle. Not crazy about the graphics for the nav system - think they're a little crude. I also think Ford should put the V6 EcoBoost engine in this vehicle. If it had been available I would have bought it, because the one complaint -- and it's a minor one -- I have about the Explorer is that it could use just a bit more oomph off the line and in passing situations. High performance is not why I bought the vehicle but there are times when you need it -- lots of two-lane highways around here and some more grunt for passing would be appreciated.