Used 2012 Ford Explorer SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2012 Ford Explorer - Consumer Reviews

2012 Ford Explorer SUV

View reviews for a specific Explorer model:

Navigation is unusable
By explorerdriver

2012 Ford Explorer SUV Limited 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

I have used different navigation systems for years, but the voice-activated navigation in this vehicle is so frustrating to use that it is unusable. Nothing about it seems to work - it does not recognize what you are saying, even when you enunciate carefully. It does not allow a passenger to manually enter information, so you must always use voice activation. Could not get it to recognize numbered routes. Would not "hear" my address which is a one digit address - kept repeating its prompt. Prompts are not helpful. There are so many bugs that I think I will need to purchase a portable Garmin unit to use in the car insead of the expensive navigation. Do not waste money on purchasing this

Favorite Features

Button to fold down third-row seats - wish that option was available for middle seats that are a little difficult to fold down. Button folds in outside mirrors on both sides. Blind-spot signals - have to learn to ignore signals for non-problems. Blue color is very attractive

Suggested Improvements

Fix navigation - redo it. New way of setting turn signals is less easy to use than old system where it was more apparent where the lever was set. Backup camera with the color lines does not give an accurate reading of how close car is to something behind.

First Ford - not very happy :(
By newfordowner

2012 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

So...I leased this vehicle because I fell in love with the body style! Well...it was 2012 demo left over - but still beautiful! So after the first month - the computer froze up - went blank...I thought for sure I did something - they said it had a virus - ok - and now month 3 months later - the transmission feels like it is slipping - so today - it is back at the dealer for that and the computer again - it froze up and went black screen again. I am not really happy with my first Ford experience so far. Also - the gas mileage has been horrible! My last vehicle a Toyota Highlander (6 cylinder) was awesome - I got at least 22-25 mpg. I am only getting 16.3 mpg - and that is highway too.

Favorite Features

I love all the cup holders and the third row seating!

Suggested Improvements

Next time - put the hazard lights above the radio controls - I keep turning them on - while changing the station. UGH - sorry drivers behind me!

Rides like an army truck
By royd4

2012 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

We got the 2 WD thinking it would ride smoother than 4 WD. Unless you are on new smooth paving the ride is jarring.' 'Seats are hard as rocks. Because they force the 3 rd row seating there is so little leg room that only a child can be comfortable in second row seats. If we would not take such a big loss we would get rid of the car.

Computer not functional
By deb93

2012 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

The computer system on the new explorer lacks the tactile functions necessary to safely drive the vehicle. I also drive a 2012 Infiniti. The Infiniti computer system permits BOTH touch screen functionality AND touch and click key strokes allowing the driver to 'feel' that the commands have been accepted by the computer. Other car makes have figured this out. Also, the trip computer also 'freezes' occasionally (2 times for me in 2 months), forcing me to pull over, turn off the car, and reset it. Ford needs to change these things asap.

Favorite Features

four wheel drive and the additional calculation displayed on the trip computer such as elapsed time time and MPG. 3rd row for passengers, ease which the 3 rows folds flat. the reply/rewind function on the sirius radio.

Suggested Improvements

The Microsoft touch screen computer system creates an extremely dangerous situation for the driver. There is no difference between using this system to operate the hot/cold air, radio, or nav system and texting on an android done. This type of touch screen should be outlawed. All main controls such as seat heaters, air temp controls, preset radio controls, to name a few, are managed through the touch screen. As the driver is not able to 'feel' the clicks, the driver needs to turn his/her gaze to the center screen as many as 4 or more times to check that the process to change any of the above is occurring. I am addicted to my droid and I feel safer using it while driving than I am the car pc

25 mpg???
By kristen7

2012 Ford Explorer SUV Limited 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

We traded in a large SUV (Navigator) in hopes of retaining some of the space we are used to while getting better gas mileage. We have owned the car 3 months and have gotten no better than 20 miles per gallon on the interstate. NEVER have we gotten near the advertised mpg. The gadgets are "cool" in the interior however, my phone is continually bumped from the system (sometimes during calls) and at times the whole console goes dark. We have always been Ford owners but this car has been a bit of a disappointment. Looks good but I miss my Navigator.