2012 Ford Explorer - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Explorer model:
Rides like an army truck
By royd4 on 07/12/12 17:23 PM (PDT)

2012 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

We got the 2 WD thinking it would ride smoother than 4 WD. Unless you are on new smooth paving the ride is jarring.' 'Seats are hard as rocks. Because they force the 3 rd row seating there is so little leg room that only a child can be comfortable in second row seats. If we would not take such a big loss we would get rid of the car.

Computer not functional
By deb93 on 06/26/12 18:04 PM (PDT)

2012 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

The computer system on the new explorer lacks the tactile functions necessary to safely drive the vehicle. I also drive a 2012 Infiniti. The Infiniti computer system permits BOTH touch screen functionality AND touch and click key strokes allowing the driver to 'feel' that the commands have been accepted by the computer. Other car makes have figured this out. Also, the trip computer also 'freezes' occasionally (2 times for me in 2 months), forcing me to pull over, turn off the car, and reset it. Ford needs to change these things asap.

25 mpg???
By kristen7 on 06/03/12 09:01 AM (PDT)

2012 Ford Explorer Limited 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

We traded in a large SUV (Navigator) in hopes of retaining some of the space we are used to while getting better gas mileage. We have owned the car 3 months and have gotten no better than 20 miles per gallon on the interstate. NEVER have we gotten near the advertised mpg. The gadgets are "cool" in the interior however, my phone is continually bumped from the system (sometimes during calls) and at times the whole console goes dark. We have always been Ford owners but this car has been a bit of a disappointment. Looks good but I miss my Navigator.

Explorer 2012 FWD good for the city but not for the snow
By dryan865 on 05/20/12 15:43 PM (PDT)

2012 Ford Explorer Limited 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

We are a Ford family and have owned at least one Ford car as long as we have been married. We purchased the 2012 Ford Explorer FWD 3.5L V6 Limited in March and have driven it on one long road trip (5K driven). We like the features and quality of the vehicle. However, in the snow it was very disappointing. We were misled when we purchased the vehicle by the dealership. (We were told chains were an option) After I got stuck in the snow and returned to purchase chains from the dealership, I was informed by the parts dept that Ford does not support any model of snow chains for the car. We are living in the Pacific NW currently and would not dare take a road trip in the winter with it.

Ecoboost Gas Mileage
By bctrane46 on 05/06/12 22:59 PM (PDT)

2012 Ford Explorer Limited 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

I love my new Explorer but the gas mileage is not as advertised. I would not have spent an extra $1,000.00 to get worst highway gas mileage than a V6 Explorer. I highly recommend the V6 verses the 2.0 liter ecoboost. After 2,000 miles and resetting my MPG counter after each fill-up I only get around 21 MPG on the highway at best. Combined mileage stays between 18 to 19 MPG which is ok but I am very dissappointed in the highway MPG. I know people with the V6 who get 24 to 25 MPG on the highway with their FWD Explorers. But we love everything else about the vehicle. It is a well equipped Limited and the ride is simply awesome and very comfortable. Go Ford, but drop the 2.0 unless MPG improves!

I wanted an SUV not a Mini-Van
By robert200 on 05/05/12 11:25 AM (PDT)

2012 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

At first I was excited to get my new 2012 Ford Explorer but that quickly faded. After a few months of towing my trailer around with it problems started to arise. I didn’t think that my sea doo trailer “which is well under the tow limit” was going to be a problem but after bring my explorer back into the service department for the third time the service writer practically interrogated me about how I use the vehicle. After I explained that I either use it to tow my dirt bike or sea doo trailer he then says to me “Well that the problem, it’s not meant for all that” I was shocked by this response considering I bought an SUV for this purpose. I went to the dealership the next day to pick up my explorer then I drove across the street to the Dodge and traded it for a new Durango.

2012 Limited...nice
By erock901 on 04/03/12 10:02 AM (PDT)

2012 Ford Explorer Limited 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

Coming from a 2003 Acura MDX, this new Explorer handles and performs much better as expected. It does feel a little heavy in the corners but body roll is well controled under normal driving. The 2nd row seating isn't as wide as the MDX. The 3rd row is much more comfortable than the MDX. Acceleration feels a little slower than expected but not bad. MyTouch/Sync is ok. I expected a lot better/more advanced functionallity since I have basically the same features in my 6yr old Lexus. Overall, I'm happy with the Explorer because of it's handling and saftey features. And it satisfied my desire to buy domestic.

Love the new Explorer!
By heymark on 03/31/12 04:55 AM (PDT)

2012 Ford Explorer Limited 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

Previously drove Tahoes, last was 2008 LT. Tahoe is a great SUV, but wanted something smaller & less top heavy. Test drove the Ford and was impressed. After 6 months of owning, I'm still impressed. The ride is extremely smooth and quiet, especially on highway. I've not had the problems with Myford Touch locking or freezing, but have given up on using voice commands. Interior is luxurious with upgraded seats. 2nd row has cramped leg room. I'm 6' and briefcase barely fits between rows. Limited's features are awesome.

2012 Best Explorer Ever
By rockrat on 03/30/12 08:02 AM (PDT)

2012 Ford Explorer Limited 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

Bought this Explorer several weeks ago and must say the ride is fantastic. Very quiet, excellent handling, acceleration much better than my last Explorer V8. Four wheel drive works excellent, doesn't need a low 4WD because the first gear of the 6 speed is so low. Goes anywhere. Still learning all the electronics, loving them all so far. Getting on average 20MPG, should increase once the vehicle is broken in. Highly recommend this vehicle to everyone, so comfortable and easy to drive!

Wheel Well Linners Poorly Designed
By ned12 on 03/13/12 12:11 PM (PDT)

2012 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

Recently purchased 2012 Ford Explorer XLT. Have been very disappointed when driving it through mud, slush or snow. All the road debris (snow, slush, etc.) flows through the wheel well liners because of manufactured holes and inadequate linner size (too small). The door tracks and inside rails are a dirty mess after driving though any road debris. Ford says this is the way they designed and offer no fix. Dealer suggested we buy/install mud flaps. They have had other complaints about this condition.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2012 Ford Explorer in VA is:

$134 per month*