2012 Ford Explorer XLT SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2012 Ford Explorer - Consumer Reviews

2012 Explorer Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Explorer model:

Sort Reviews by

Homerun with Explorer
By htown35

2012 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

I brought my 2012 Explorer in December 2011. I have the XLT Model with Leather, 20 in Rims, Power Liftgate and Dual Power Seats. I love my new explorer. Only 2 problems.... Recall for Engine Cooling at 5K and had to replace the brakes under warranty at 7K. I currently have 10K miles on it. I get a lot of compliments on my explorer. I like the ride, styling and comfort. I do not have MyFord Touch so I dont have any of those issues. I think Ford did a good job overall. First new Ford!!

Favorite Features

Power liftgate Premium Sound System 20 in Chrome Rims Comfort Exterior Lighting at Nite - I like the courtesy lights on the mirrors when it's dark out and how the headlights stay on at nite.

Suggested Improvements

To low to the ground for a crossover... I wish it was higher.

Explorer XLT - I love it
By htown35

2012 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

I brought my 2012 Explorer XLT with leather interior, 20 in rims and power liftgate in Dec 2011. The only issues I had was replacing the brakes (covered under warr) at 8,000 miles and a recall for engine cooling. Currently I have 10,000 miles. I like driving my Explorer. It gets a lot of attention with it's 20 in rims and dark exterior color. I have gotten 25 MPG on the highway and about 18 in the city. It always has enough power and all features work correctly... It's quiet and I feel very safe in it.

Favorite Features

Power Liftgate SYNC System Upgraded Sound System Power Seats

Suggested Improvements

I wish it was a lilltle higher - I know it's car based SUV but it's a lil to low for me.

Rides like an army truck
By royd4

2012 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

We got the 2 WD thinking it would ride smoother than 4 WD. Unless you are on new smooth paving the ride is jarring.' 'Seats are hard as rocks. Because they force the 3 rd row seating there is so little leg room that only a child can be comfortable in second row seats. If we would not take such a big loss we would get rid of the car.

Computer not functional
By deb93

2012 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

The computer system on the new explorer lacks the tactile functions necessary to safely drive the vehicle. I also drive a 2012 Infiniti. The Infiniti computer system permits BOTH touch screen functionality AND touch and click key strokes allowing the driver to 'feel' that the commands have been accepted by the computer. Other car makes have figured this out. Also, the trip computer also 'freezes' occasionally (2 times for me in 2 months), forcing me to pull over, turn off the car, and reset it. Ford needs to change these things asap.

Favorite Features

four wheel drive and the additional calculation displayed on the trip computer such as elapsed time time and MPG. 3rd row for passengers, ease which the 3 rows folds flat. the reply/rewind function on the sirius radio.

Suggested Improvements

The Microsoft touch screen computer system creates an extremely dangerous situation for the driver. There is no difference between using this system to operate the hot/cold air, radio, or nav system and texting on an android done. This type of touch screen should be outlawed. All main controls such as seat heaters, air temp controls, preset radio controls, to name a few, are managed through the touch screen. As the driver is not able to 'feel' the clicks, the driver needs to turn his/her gaze to the center screen as many as 4 or more times to check that the process to change any of the above is occurring. I am addicted to my droid and I feel safer using it while driving than I am the car pc

Wheel Well Linners Poorly Designed
By ned12

2012 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

Recently purchased 2012 Ford Explorer XLT. Have been very disappointed when driving it through mud, slush or snow. All the road debris (snow, slush, etc.) flows through the wheel well liners because of manufactured holes and inadequate linner size (too small). The door tracks and inside rails are a dirty mess after driving though any road debris. Ford says this is the way they designed and offer no fix. Dealer suggested we buy/install mud flaps. They have had other complaints about this condition.

Favorite Features

Cruise control is very smooth. Nice ride. SYNC is working fine.

Suggested Improvements

Ford needs to replace the wheel well liners and get correct size for this vehicle. How about giving a free year of navigation system like GM does with On-Star. Also, be aware that you cannot get heated leather seats in this model unless you get My Ford Touch.

They lied
By tsarver

2012 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

After reading of the sync and mytouch problems I asked several times before I bought my explorer if the problems were fixed. I was assured that these problems were updated and would not be a problem with my vehicle. Four days after I bought it, a hour from home in a snow storm of course the system freezes. Called sync support and was told I need to stop the car and pull a fuse to reset it, nice. They said there are still problems and a update is months away. I have had the vehicle a week now and it has done this twice now. The dealer lied to make the sale knowing there are still problems. When I had the repair history ran it showed there was sync issues with this vehicle before I bought it.

Favorite Features

Like the interior room and style

Suggested Improvements

Dont sell a car with software issues that renders the functions useless, and dont lie to your customers

I want it all!!
By boatlover

2012 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

I bought the 2012 Explorer XLT-EcoBoost. Beautiful SUV!! I've had issues with the transmission from the word go. They fixed it I thnk-changed the Valve Body. It shifted hard when the weather starting getting cold. Still has a little hard shifting. The right side of the windshied is very noisy-worse when it's very windy outside. When it raining out, you can hear every raindrop on the top!! But the vehicle is topnotch luxury!! I love that part of it. I feel very safe in it. Has all the bells and whistles I want in a car. Come on Ford-lets get it all figured out and all in sync!!

Favorite Features

The style, and the luxury of the vehicle inside and out. It's beautiful!!

Suggested Improvements

The noise in the windshield-and the rooftop.

Overall impressed but....
By djones67

2012 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

About a month ago I was given a new explorer as a rental while on a business trip. Overall I was impressed with the vehicle except for the annoying wind noise that came from the right side of the wind shield. The wind noise was extremely noticable at speeds above 60 mph. I don't know if this was problem with just my vehicle or if others have experienced the same issue. I was impressed with the power from the engine. The ride was comfortable and the seats were supportive. Minus the wind noise I would give the explorer high marks however the wind noise was bad enough that I couldn't live with it on a daily basis. Hopefully it was just a problem with my vehicle.