Used 2012 Ford Explorer SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2012 Ford Explorer - Consumer Reviews

2012 Ford Explorer SUV

View reviews for a specific Explorer model:

Like it a lot
By Bob Newell

2012 Ford Explorer SUV Limited 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

We've had our explorer about 2 years now. We've taken it across the country a couple of times and have always had a positive experience. It's comfortable, roomy and quiet. We have the AWD Limited model. I've owned numerous Fords (2 trucks, 2 Mustangs, 2 Taurus, Torino) and we like this one the best.

Favorite Features

Navigation System, My Ford Touch, AWD.

Ford needs to research this problem
By ralph1956

2012 Ford Explorer SUV 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

I have a 2012 Ford explorer that has wheel sensors on all wheels and have had to replace them all and now having to replace some again . When the sensor goes bad you have no 4 wheel drive and at times you can not drive at all. This is not reliable to me. Wondering if others are having issues with this also. Also have the check engine light come on and stay on and I am told its because of the gas tank and nothing that can be done to correct this issue.

Favorite Features

Very comfortable driving

Suggested Improvements

research the wheel sensor issues and credit back the payments already made for this problem

Explorer Quality is Poor
By kvella

2012 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

Purchased a Ford Explorer in January 2012. Within three weeks started experiencing steering problems. Also had seat defects requiring repairs. Ford announced a recall for power steering defects in May 2014. Still fighting with Ford for reimbursement of incurred repair expenses. Interior quality is poor with fading and split seams after only 2.5 years. Overall disappointed with Ford's quality and customer service.

Just purchased
By suzyq58

2012 Ford Explorer SUV Limited 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

Love my new used car! The salesmen were wonderful and informational and am very happy with my overall experience. I can't wait to take my car out on the road. The service at Fair Oaks Ford was a great experience. I have been a customer for many years and couldn't have been happier with their service department. I look forward to putting many trips on this car.

Favorite Features

Everything

Vehicle is great, MyFord Touch is terrible
By g2a2k

2012 Ford Explorer SUV Limited 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

Ford did a very good job in the design of the vehicle. It is great to drive. The part that is not great is the MyFord Touch. I have had problems from the beginning. The dealers have been nice, but have not been able to solve any of the problems I have face such as the navigation system never working and it often shutting down while driving causing me to have my vehicle in the shop at least once a month. For this reason, and all the problems I have had with the My Ford Touch, I would not recommend purchasing a Ford with it since they can't seem to solve the problems with it.

Favorite Features

The actual engineering design of the vehicle.

Suggested Improvements

Get rid of MyFord Touch. System is not reliable and a waste of money.