Used 2012 Ford Explorer SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2012 Ford Explorer SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Explorer model:

Going Great at 40K Miles
By John

2012 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

Purchased new XLT with towing package. Used to pull a boat, trailer, etc. Love the car. No issues whatsoever. Only items I'd love to improve are the Sync entertainment system (Microsoft) is slow to load, esp. when starting the car in the freezing cold and you just want to put the heat on. Takes a couple seconds to actually show the climate controls. MPG is lower than expected at 18 on average.

Great family vehicle!
By Kendra

2012 Ford Explorer SUV Limited 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

Bought my 2012 Ford Explorer as a Certified Pre Owned with 36k miles. Have had the vehicle 8 months now and still love it! Now that we are one of few families in our circle with a 7 passenger vehicle, we end up being "the bus" ... recently had 7 adults on board and even the two in the third row were comfortable and commented on how roomy it was for a third row seat. My 8 year old loves the third row and thinks it is great fun climbing in and out. Things I love: Power liftgate Power folding third row Heated and cooled front seats Great sound system Drives very smooth and quiet (except for windshield hissing/whistling - problem is solved by turning up the music!) Handles great Great rear view camera and backup sensors Looks great Great warranty since I bought Certified Pre-Owned Surprisingly good gas mileage for the size Things that bug me: -Had to have the shifting assembly replaced after getting "shift to park" messages when it was clearly in park. Covered under CPO warranty and I only paid $100, but irritating to have to pay anything for what is clearly a Ford defect, as many people have reported the same problem. -The blind spot takes some getting used to. I have gotten much more adept at using my mirrors because the blind spots on the sides are significant. I couldn't find a used model with BLIS which I gladly would have paid for, so this was a big downfall in the beginning -I hate MyFord Touch. It never works properly. Luckily, I already knew this was an issue from my research prior to purchasing the vehicle so I expected it. Works great for voice climate control and using the phone; everything else is pretty much crap. I never use the navigation; much easier to plug my iPhone in to the USB and use Google maps. -The dark blue color is very hard to keep clean; almost as bad as black. Would have preferred white or silver but when you're buying used you have to take what you can find. Overall I love the vehicle and would buy another. This is the first SUV I have ever owned after years of driving Acura sedans. I actually had my heart set on an Acura MDX until I compared the Ford Explorer and realized I could get just as many features and luxury items for a much lower price. Bonus: it's much cheaper to work on since it's American made! I was always shocked at the repair costs on my Acuras because the parts were so much more expensive. I would recommend this vehicle to anyone looking for a reliable SUV with a luxury feel at an affordable cost!

not your casa ford
By sal

2012 Ford Explorer SUV Limited 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

Bought it on 2013 had 7k on it,first thing cooling fans went out about a week after I got it had to wait for parts 3 weeks. Next the windows front, shudder when opening and squeal,have had regulators replaced but have had to return at least 5 times so they upgraded my warranty to 70 k because they can't find a solution to the windows. The brakes were recalled took them in replaced but still squeak, dealer said nothing they can do,now power steering has a recall, and before this, instrument panel at times turns off, trim panels on front windshield had to be replaced for noise ,but I still have a window squeal and shudder which there is no repairs for it yet,oh and now the inside door handles are on safety recall, I think ford has really earned it's name for "Fix Or Repair Daily"

Like it a lot
By Bob Newell

2012 Ford Explorer SUV Limited 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

We've had our explorer about 2 years now. We've taken it across the country a couple of times and have always had a positive experience. It's comfortable, roomy and quiet. We have the AWD Limited model. I've owned numerous Fords (2 trucks, 2 Mustangs, 2 Taurus, Torino) and we like this one the best.

Navigation System, My Ford Touch, AWD.

Ford needs to research this problem
By ralph1956

2012 Ford Explorer SUV 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

I have a 2012 Ford explorer that has wheel sensors on all wheels and have had to replace them all and now having to replace some again . When the sensor goes bad you have no 4 wheel drive and at times you can not drive at all. This is not reliable to me. Wondering if others are having issues with this also. Also have the check engine light come on and stay on and I am told its because of the gas tank and nothing that can be done to correct this issue.

Very comfortable driving

research the wheel sensor issues and credit back the payments already made for this problem

• SUV