2012 Ford Explorer SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Explorer model:
Explorer Quality is Poor
By kvella on 07/17/14 08:23 AM (PDT)

2012 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

Purchased a Ford Explorer in January 2012. Within three weeks started experiencing steering problems. Also had seat defects requiring repairs. Ford announced a recall for power steering defects in May 2014. Still fighting with Ford for reimbursement of incurred repair expenses. Interior quality is poor with fading and split seams after only 2.5 years. Overall disappointed with Ford's quality and customer service.

Just purchased
By suzyq58 on 08/17/13 19:08 PM (PDT)

2012 Ford Explorer SUV Limited 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

Love my new used car! The salesmen were wonderful and informational and am very happy with my overall experience. I can't wait to take my car out on the road. The service at Fair Oaks Ford was a great experience. I have been a customer for many years and couldn't have been happier with their service department. I look forward to putting many trips on this car.

Vehicle is great, MyFord Touch is terrible
By g2a2k on 04/21/13 14:05 PM (PDT)

2012 Ford Explorer SUV Limited 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

Ford did a very good job in the design of the vehicle. It is great to drive. The part that is not great is the MyFord Touch. I have had problems from the beginning. The dealers have been nice, but have not been able to solve any of the problems I have face such as the navigation system never working and it often shutting down while driving causing me to have my vehicle in the shop at least once a month. For this reason, and all the problems I have had with the My Ford Touch, I would not recommend purchasing a Ford with it since they can't seem to solve the problems with it.

Homerun with Explorer
By htown35 on 03/06/13 07:53 AM (PST)

2012 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

I brought my 2012 Explorer in December 2011. I have the XLT Model with Leather, 20 in Rims, Power Liftgate and Dual Power Seats. I love my new explorer. Only 2 problems.... Recall for Engine Cooling at 5K and had to replace the brakes under warranty at 7K. I currently have 10K miles on it. I get a lot of compliments on my explorer. I like the ride, styling and comfort. I do not have MyFord Touch so I dont have any of those issues. I think Ford did a good job overall. First new Ford!!

Explorer XLT - I love it
By htown35 on 02/26/13 10:08 AM (PST)

2012 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

I brought my 2012 Explorer XLT with leather interior, 20 in rims and power liftgate in Dec 2011. The only issues I had was replacing the brakes (covered under warr) at 8,000 miles and a recall for engine cooling. Currently I have 10,000 miles. I like driving my Explorer. It gets a lot of attention with it's 20 in rims and dark exterior color. I have gotten 25 MPG on the highway and about 18 in the city. It always has enough power and all features work correctly... It's quiet and I feel very safe in it.

Excieted at first but disappointed now
By g2a2k on 02/12/13 17:25 PM (PST)

2012 Ford Explorer SUV Limited 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

The ride is extremely smooth and quiet, especially on highway. The Interior is luxurious with upgraded seats. Well engineered on this aspect. With that said, I've had nothing but problems with MyFord Touch system and it has gotten worse lately. It continually locks up and freezes the entire system to include climate control, entertainment, and telephone. It soon after goes into a never ending loop of resetting that only works part of the time. I have all but given up on using voice commands as the voice recognition in it is poor at best. Despite getting the updates and having it at the dealer numerous times, the problems continue.

Very Pleased
By whereismyhair on 01/31/13 18:26 PM (PST)

2012 Ford Explorer SUV Limited 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

I am really happy with my Explorer. I think it is a good looking vehicle, I get 23 mph even when the 4wd is on (I live in the UP of Michigan and use it in the snow), and I like how it drives. The speed control with the auto slow down is great and it helped stop me when a car recently stopped suddenly in front of me on the highway. I have towed with it, filled it with a very large light item and many smaller heavy items and still it drives fine. I traded a F150 for it and don't regret doing it.

I love my Ford Explorer
By simsational on 11/09/12 16:04 PM (PST)

2012 Ford Explorer SUV 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

I fell in love with the new Explorers long before I purchased my new vehicle. Not knowing what new vehicle I wanted to purchase I went directly to the Ford Dealer to test drive the Explorer and I knew this was the vehicle for my family. It's been a year since I purchased the Explorer I continue to fall in love with it. I look forward to driving it each day. If I leave on vacation I can't wait to return to my Explorer. All my friends and family members love it as well especially my 4 year old daughter.

Navigation is unusable
By explorerdriver on 09/18/12 20:19 PM (PDT)

2012 Ford Explorer SUV Limited 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

I have used different navigation systems for years, but the voice-activated navigation in this vehicle is so frustrating to use that it is unusable. Nothing about it seems to work - it does not recognize what you are saying, even when you enunciate carefully. It does not allow a passenger to manually enter information, so you must always use voice activation. Could not get it to recognize numbered routes. Would not "hear" my address which is a one digit address - kept repeating its prompt. Prompts are not helpful. There are so many bugs that I think I will need to purchase a portable Garmin unit to use in the car insead of the expensive navigation. Do not waste money on purchasing this

First Ford - not very happy :(
By newfordowner on 09/06/12 11:40 AM (PDT)

2012 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

So...I leased this vehicle because I fell in love with the body style! Well...it was 2012 demo left over - but still beautiful! So after the first month - the computer froze up - went blank...I thought for sure I did something - they said it had a virus - ok - and now month 3 months later - the transmission feels like it is slipping - so today - it is back at the dealer for that and the computer again - it froze up and went black screen again. I am not really happy with my first Ford experience so far. Also - the gas mileage has been horrible! My last vehicle a Toyota Highlander (6 cylinder) was awesome - I got at least 22-25 mpg. I am only getting 16.3 mpg - and that is highway too.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2012 Ford Explorer Suv in VA is:

$134 per month*