2012 Ford Explorer Limited Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2012 Ford Explorer - Consumer Reviews

2012 Explorer Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Explorer model:

Sort Reviews by

Very Pleased
By whereismyhair

2012 Ford Explorer Limited 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

I am really happy with my Explorer. I think it is a good looking vehicle, I get 23 mph even when the 4wd is on (I live in the UP of Michigan and use it in the snow), and I like how it drives. The speed control with the auto slow down is great and it helped stop me when a car recently stopped suddenly in front of me on the highway. I have towed with it, filled it with a very large light item and many smaller heavy items and still it drives fine. I traded a F150 for it and don't regret doing it.

Favorite Features

The interior seating and comfort. The hands free commands. I think we got a lot of car for the money. The radar for cars in the blind spot.

Suggested Improvements

Something on the dashboard to let me know when the auto headlights are on.

25 mpg???
By kristen7

2012 Ford Explorer Limited 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

We traded in a large SUV (Navigator) in hopes of retaining some of the space we are used to while getting better gas mileage. We have owned the car 3 months and have gotten no better than 20 miles per gallon on the interstate. NEVER have we gotten near the advertised mpg. The gadgets are "cool" in the interior however, my phone is continually bumped from the system (sometimes during calls) and at times the whole console goes dark. We have always been Ford owners but this car has been a bit of a disappointment. Looks good but I miss my Navigator.

Explorer 2012 FWD good for the city but not for the snow
By dryan865

2012 Ford Explorer Limited 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

We are a Ford family and have owned at least one Ford car as long as we have been married. We purchased the 2012 Ford Explorer FWD 3.5L V6 Limited in March and have driven it on one long road trip (5K driven). We like the features and quality of the vehicle. However, in the snow it was very disappointing. We were misled when we purchased the vehicle by the dealership. (We were told chains were an option) After I got stuck in the snow and returned to purchase chains from the dealership, I was informed by the parts dept that Ford does not support any model of snow chains for the car. We are living in the Pacific NW currently and would not dare take a road trip in the winter with it.

Favorite Features

Some of our favorite features: * Leg Room in the back seat is awesome * With 3rd row seats down, luggage area in the back is huge. * The vista sun roof - nice * Quality of the interior is very good * Ford Sync system is great

Suggested Improvements

Ford should provide a snow-chain remedy/solution for FWD owners. Gas mileage is good for an SUV but not in the range on the carís factory sticker Ė the best we have been able to achieve is 19.5 on the highway.

Ecoboost Gas Mileage
By bctrane46

2012 Ford Explorer Limited 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

I love my new Explorer but the gas mileage is not as advertised. I would not have spent an extra $1,000.00 to get worst highway gas mileage than a V6 Explorer. I highly recommend the V6 verses the 2.0 liter ecoboost. After 2,000 miles and resetting my MPG counter after each fill-up I only get around 21 MPG on the highway at best. Combined mileage stays between 18 to 19 MPG which is ok but I am very dissappointed in the highway MPG. I know people with the V6 who get 24 to 25 MPG on the highway with their FWD Explorers. But we love everything else about the vehicle. It is a well equipped Limited and the ride is simply awesome and very comfortable. Go Ford, but drop the 2.0 unless MPG improves!

Favorite Features

Seats, Blind Spot Intervention, Rear Camera, Rear AC, Stereo, HID Headlights, Smooth Ride

Suggested Improvements

Better Gas Mileage With Ecoboost

Love the new Explorer!
By heymark

2012 Ford Explorer Limited 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

Previously drove Tahoes, last was 2008 LT. Tahoe is a great SUV, but wanted something smaller & less top heavy. Test drove the Ford and was impressed. After 6 months of owning, I'm still impressed. The ride is extremely smooth and quiet, especially on highway. I've not had the problems with Myford Touch locking or freezing, but have given up on using voice commands. Interior is luxurious with upgraded seats. 2nd row has cramped leg room. I'm 6' and briefcase barely fits between rows. Limited's features are awesome.

Favorite Features

Best feature is the smooth, quiet ride. Other reviews panned the car for the Mytouch issues (probably justified), but they never talk about how it drives. Test drive one and you'll be impressed. Other faves; great looks, inside and out. Power liftgate, flat folding 3rd row, stereo Bluetooth, a/c seats and remote start. Sony audio with subwoofer sounds great. 3rd row has decent room. USB slots are great. Put all my music on an 8gb compact USB, and it reads titles and artists on the screen. Even got playlists to work.

Suggested Improvements

Had the whistling noise on windshield at hwy speeds. Dealer replaced pillars and noise is gone. Left side of drivers floor has narrow foot room. Give a v8 option. The v6 is ok, but seems a little under powered from a standing start. Power for passing is good. Ford just announced a Sport model with V6 turbo ecoboost. Might be the answer. Audio has a hard drive, but doesn't allow music transfer from USB. Lame. I upgraded to the new touch and nav system. I'm not wowed by any of the changes. Need to reduce all of the black plastic on exterior. Worried it may fade and turn grey over time.

Explorer Limited in Naples
By vinced

2012 Ford Explorer Limited 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

I've driven the car for about 2 months. Overall I like the car very much. Was worried about the reliability with the reviews by the pro's. So far only issue is the My Ford Touch and Nav. I've had issues with voice command, some times does't work some times does't understand, some times system goes blank. This must be fixed with new software in March some time. The car runs great the engine has plenty of power and is smooth. The electronic steering is great and love the electronics overall. The power lift gate is a must and the rear power seats is excellent and eliminates the back of the rear seat controls, looks bettor. Controls LCD controls for radio, Nav, Air, and and phone-

Favorite Features

are excellent and easy to use with the touch screen. Favorite features: Power Lift gate, Side mirror power fold, great in garage and tight spaces (should auto close when car shuts down). The rear camera and size of LCD provides a fantastic view with the ability to zoom. I also like the ability to navigate on the LCD through the radio's FM, Sirius, phone and AM channels, very easy and provides great flexibility. I also like the Fab's/IKT'S memory feature to know my adjustments (seat, side mirrors etc) when unlocking the car. So many other nice electronics and also like the power socket and rear air conditioning controls. Nice headrest adjustments and also power seats controls.

Suggested Improvements

Must fix My Ford Touch glitches and the voice control's ability to understand. Should have went to Apple but maybe Microsoft will fix with March update. Also like to see the middle seat's ability to slide and the electronic tilt steering wheel added to the 2013's will be a good upgrade. Overall great SUV.

Almost the perfect car for us
By kris45

2012 Ford Explorer Limited 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

We just acquire a 2012 Limited in silver with the EcoBoost engine fully loaded. My initial impression are just Wow. We love love this car. The interior is luxurious and well put together, the configuration of the seats is nice and flexible. I do agree with an earlier review that allowing the middle row of seats to slide forward and back a little would be helpful. The Tech: I am a big tech guy, love my toys and this car fits right in with them. Voice control, touch screen, tons of options and configuration, color changing ambient lighting is cool. Proximity key is KEY! I didn't even look at the base or XLT editions because they didn't offer this feature. (continued in Fav features!...)

Favorite Features

(... continued from Review) i wasn't too excited about the power liftgate but it came with the package. now I LOVE it. easy to open and close with your arms full of stuff, easy for my wife who can barely reach the gate when it's open, to hit the button and it closes. The My Ford Touch and SYNC are slightly glitchy and pretty sluggish, frustrating if you are in a hurry but I'm hopeful some software updates will fix or improve them soon. They are functional and cool enough to outweigh the occasional inconvenience of the screen freezing up for a minute. Auto park is a cool feature, probably won't use it much but it's neat. Handling is superb. Interior space is superb. Comfort is superb.

Suggested Improvements

updates to fix My Ford Touch and SYNC I am very disappointed with the efficiency of the so-called "EcoBoost" engine. I wish I had a v6 version I could drive for a while to compare if the loss of 50 HP is worth whatever gain the EcoBoost has in MPG. When I first started driving this car it was around 11.5 MPG city. I quickly learned how to adjust my driving habits (accelerate very slowly from stops, plan ahead to maximize cruising and minimize changes in speed, etc) and have gotten to about 17.9-18.2MPG with consistency. This is ok but I wonder if the 4cyl engine just struggles too much to move the mass of the car and maybe loses it's edge over the 6cyl struggling to overcome the inertia...