Used 2012 Ford Explorer Consumer Reviews - 38 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2012 Ford Explorer - Consumer Reviews

2012 Ford Explorer

View reviews for a specific Explorer model:

A Handsome Hauler
By Kelly

2012 Ford Explorer 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

Let's say you are an outdoors type or a family type, either way you need something to haul your gear or your people or both. This truck, I like calling it a truck - it's not a car, and "SUV" sounds silly, carries your stuff in style. I sigh every time I look at my Ex. It's just so good looking! It hauls my husband, two dogs, camping gear, luggage, a bike on the back, and a small kayak on top. I keep the third-row seats lowered for more room in the cargo area. I love knowing I can raise the lift gate and easily load my gear or groceries into the cargo space. The front and back seats are comfortable. People in the back like having access to their own heating and cooling controls. Other than that, my Explorer has basic controls but I'm okay with that because it kept the price low when I bought it used. Besides, I do not want nor need navigation, bluetooth, or the MyFord touch. The truck's auxiliary ports are sufficient for playing my music through my phone. I fill up the tank once a week for my daily trips to work and back. I drive 250 miles a week plus local driving on the weekends. My only concerns are the whistling noise around the windshield at high speeds and sometimes the engine refuses to go faster than 80 miles per hour though that might be the result of a safety feature - and really who needs to go faster than 80 mph.

Real Good, Not Great
By Frank Kiv

2012 Ford Explorer 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

Going Great at 40K Miles
By John

2012 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

Purchased new XLT with towing package. Used to pull a boat, trailer, etc. Love the car. No issues whatsoever. Only items I'd love to improve are the Sync entertainment system (Microsoft) is slow to load, esp. when starting the car in the freezing cold and you just want to put the heat on. Takes a couple seconds to actually show the climate controls. MPG is lower than expected at 18 on average.

Great family vehicle!
By Kendra

2012 Ford Explorer Limited 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

Bought my 2012 Ford Explorer as a Certified Pre Owned with 36k miles. Have had the vehicle 8 months now and still love it! Now that we are one of few families in our circle with a 7 passenger vehicle, we end up being "the bus" ... recently had 7 adults on board and even the two in the third row were comfortable and commented on how roomy it was for a third row seat. My 8 year old loves the third row and thinks it is great fun climbing in and out.

Things I love:
Power liftgate
Power folding third row
Heated and cooled front seats
Great sound system
Drives very smooth and quiet (except for windshield hissing/whistling - problem is solved by turning up the music!)
Handles great
Great rear view camera and backup sensors
Looks great
Great warranty since I bought Certified Pre-Owned
Surprisingly good gas mileage for the size

Things that bug me:
-Had to have the shifting assembly replaced after getting "shift to park" messages when it was clearly in park. Covered under CPO warranty and I only paid $100, but irritating to have to pay anything for what is clearly a Ford defect, as many people have reported the same problem.
-The blind spot takes some getting used to. I have gotten much more adept at using my mirrors because the blind spots on the sides are significant. I couldn't find a used model with BLIS which I gladly would have paid for, so this was a big downfall in the beginning
-I hate MyFord Touch. It never works properly. Luckily, I already knew this was an issue from my research prior to purchasing the vehicle so I expected it. Works great for voice climate control and using the phone; everything else is pretty much crap. I never use the navigation; much easier to plug my iPhone in to the USB and use Google maps.
-The dark blue color is very hard to keep clean; almost as bad as black. Would have preferred white or silver but when you're buying used you have to take what you can find.

Overall I love the vehicle and would buy another. This is the first SUV I have ever owned after years of driving Acura sedans. I actually had my heart set on an Acura MDX until I compared the Ford Explorer and realized I could get just as many features and luxury items for a much lower price. Bonus: it's much cheaper to work on since it's American made! I was always shocked at the repair costs on my Acuras because the parts were so much more expensive.

I would recommend this vehicle to anyone looking for a reliable SUV with a luxury feel at an affordable cost!

not your casa ford
By sal

2012 Ford Explorer Limited 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

Bought it on 2013 had 7k on it,first thing cooling fans went out about a week after I got it had to wait for parts 3 weeks. Next the windows front, shudder when opening and squeal,have had regulators replaced but have had to return at least 5 times so they upgraded my warranty to 70 k because they can't find a solution to the windows. The brakes were recalled took them in replaced but still squeak, dealer said nothing they can do,now power steering has a recall, and before this, instrument panel at times turns off, trim panels on front windshield had to be replaced for noise ,but I still have a window squeal and shudder which there is no repairs for it yet,oh and now the inside door handles are on safety recall, I think ford has really earned it's name for "Fix Or Repair Daily"