What a Great SUV...We Couldn't Be Happier
By larrymcj on
2011 Ford Explorer Limited 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 6A)
First American car we've owned since 1978 and I can't tell you how impressed I am. Traded in a 2011 Lexus RX 350 (yes, you read that correctly). The cargo space in this vehicle is not only more than adequate, the power-folding rear seats make it configurable for any load...groceries, golf, vacations, etc. As a retired geek from the computing industry, I have to hand it to Ford (or maybe Microsoft) for the SYNC MyFord Touch system. This is hands-down the best navigation and bluetooth device integrated system available on any vehicle or car. The ride and comfort will truly amaze you. It sits high like a truck frame SUV although it's now a crossover, so you also get car ride comfort.
Favorite Features
- Navigation system: The SYNC MyFord Touch is simply amazing, though it will take even the most savvy technology folks days, if not weeks, to fully learn. - Cargo space: Way more cargo space than other crossover SUVs out there, with the exception of the GMC Acadia, which only has a little bit more width (but the cargo area length is equal to the Acadia). - Lack of road noise is almost equal to the 2011 Lexus RX 350 we traded in, which was very quiet. Does it ride as smooth as the Lexus...of course not, but it's still better than anything American we tested. - The fact you can buy a fully-loaded Limited version of this SUV and *NOT* be forced to have a sunroof/moonroof is a plus for me.
Suggested Improvements
- Put the Hazard Warning Light switch somewhere else. It's currently at the bottom of the navigation screen bezel and since it's touch sensitive, I'm constantly turning on my hazard warning lights by mistake...even though I know the switch is there. - Lose the painted "Remington Razor" grille design. If you live anywhere there are bugs at night flying into your car (and most of us do) you'll spend a lot of time digging them out of these holes when you wash the vehicle. It's obvious that even the greatest of car designers live in a metropolitan bubble .
By obs165
on 06/20/11 19:39 PM (PDT)

I never considered that about the grille design. I live in Florida where the love bugs live also. I can't imagine what they would do to such a grille design.