2011 Ford Explorer Consumer Review: Well-made and Stylish Car but

2011 Ford Explorer - Consumer Review

Well-made and Stylish Car but Interior Design Issues
By coerich1 on

2011 Ford Explorer Limited 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

We bought this car to replace an aging Suburban, and to downsize. We looked at the BMW X5, GMC Acadia, Buick Enclave, Ford Edge. When we were at the Ford dealer we saw a good-looking SUV we didn't recognize, and when we walked up to it realized it was an Explorer. To us the car has European styling, except for the over-sized cowling on the front end which is definitely American. The engine acceleration is adequate, but won't blow you away. We kind of miss the more powerful feeling you get with most GM SUV power-trains.

My favorites are the electric fold-down, disappearing rear seats. Not to mention its good looks, leg room, and fit-and-finish. Ford Sync should be one of my favorites (since I'm into tech), but for some reason it isn't. There is a strange delay between touching the screen for a function, and the function actually happening. Trying to learn and operate this system while driving could easily cause an accident. Be sure and bring a 'Ford Sync Operator' person (a co-pilot) with you while driving.

Trouble syncing Android phone while Iphone syncs easily. Space between seat and console is tight so dropping something (ie: phone) in there is impossible to retrieve while driving. My number one issue are the front seat armrests. The distance from the front seats to the doors has been increased to the point where the armrests on the doors are useless. In order to use these armrests you have to slump toward the door which moves your back out of the seat contours. On long drives the seat is comfortable, but not having good armrests makes the drive unpleasant for me. This could be fixed easily by installing front seats with fold down armrests. Are you listening, Ford?