Very Disappointed
By nancyo40 on
2011 Ford Explorer 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 6A)
I purchased my 2011 Ford Explorer this past summer and I love the look of it but as far as issues that's all I seem to have with it. Since day 1 I've had wind noise in my windshield and it may been on one side one day and on the other the next. I've had it in to 2 different Ford dealers which total 5 times plus I went into another dealer and they had no idea what's causing it as well. I've had everything possible changed including the entire windshield and it's still making noise but not constantly. Now it's back in the Ford shop for the windshield noise, my transmission also is not shifting correctly, a noise in my speedometer, and my MFT Navigation screen went blank the other day.
Favorite Features
I love the look of the new 2011 Explorer but never again will I buy a vehicle the first year one comes out with a new appearance. It's very comfortable and has plenty of room for a family of 5 unless you put carseats in the second row. Then not so much. I am always getting compliments about the look but TRUST me looks aren't everything. MFT screen is cool but is seems delayed alot.
Suggested Improvements
Find a fix to the front windshield noise (very irritating) especially since it's new and shouldn't have this. MFT screen needs improving-very delayed at times when wanting to switch to something new on the screen. A/C (My temp) is a joke because when it's 104' outside and you press the My Temp button it blows hot air for about a minute or two before going to the correct temp you have it set at. Second row setting could use about 6 more inches added to it especially if you have car seats.
By liz_p
on 12/15/11 17:24 PM (PST)

Hi, we just purchased our own Explorer after downsizing from an Expedition. I hate to say it, but I'm having buyers remorse. We've had problems with the Explorer as well. The wind noise happened in ours as well, but we sent it to get fixed (there was a loose flap) and we were told they removed it. We have yet to drive it at full speed because another reason we took it in was because the home screen was blanking out regularly -- couldn't access heaters, radio, etc.. We were told that they updated the system. Once again we have yet to drive it because the main reason we took it in was because there would be a knocking sound once we started it. It wouldn't happen all the time, but within a couple of times per week is more than enough, especially in a brand new vehicle. The dealership we took the Explorer to had it for almost a week and said they never heard the knocking sound, but the next day I received my car, I heard it. So once again the Explorer is in the shop being looked at. I have yet to hear what the problem is. Other than that, the SUV looks nice, drives nicely, and the remote start is an excellent feature, but if I continue to have difficulties with this, I just can't guarantee we will have the patience to deal with it. For the price we paid (we had it come fully loaded) this should not be happening. Very frustrating and extremely dissapointing.