More modern, versatile explorer
By xeon on
2011 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 6A)
Explorer is now a tech lovers car, I find more things in it than all of the others combined. The ride quality is comfortable and you really don't feel like you are driving a big vehicle. I've always driven toyota/honda my life and this is the first time with Ford (or any American)Was in the market for a larger SUV. Wanted to check out Edge because I liked ints interior. After looking, we were talking about how cool it would be to have a car like toyota highlander with the interior of ford edge. Funny we found explorer the next day, its exactly that!
Favorite Features
I really like the LCD consoles in the instrument cluster, it provides all sorts of information including fuel economy (with bar graphs, no less) song details, climate, trip information, navigation etc. The interior is nice, actually nicer than the Lexus models even. Then there is MFT and sync, which when works is amazing. Voice activation for almost everything including climate, song name, contact name, directions and even news! The fuel economy is surprisingly good. I get consistently over 21 mpg with 4 folks and luggage.
Suggested Improvements
MFT is also the main pain point of this vehicle. When it works its great, when it doesn't it drives you nut. If there is one thing Ford needs to do is to work on getting the current functionality rock solid. Its got all the bells and whistles, just make sure that it all works the way its expected. Its darn slow at times, crashes, freezes, won't recognize commands sometimes. These need to be ironed out.
By 94q45t
on 04/02/11 18:23 PM (PDT)

Rented one of these for a week, a Limited with Sync and 20"wheels. The toys were great, and for short distances around town, this is a really nice car (basically a Taurus station wagon). However, on the road and in rainy weather, the torque steer is monumental (this had the base engine, was FWD). The engine drone was interminable, and in no way is this a relaxed highway cruiser over a 200 mile trip. The constant shifting at slight throttle changes made me go to manual mode and force it to stay in 6th gear. If you pan to spend $40K for one, please be sure that its strengths suit you and that the weaknesses do not impact your style of driving. About the throttle steer: it is flat dangerous in heavy traffic in the rain on city streets. Word to the wise...