2011 Ford Explorer Consumer Review: Love my new Explorer!

2011 Ford Explorer - Consumer Review

Love my new Explorer!
By mgward3 on

2011 Ford Explorer Limited 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

I purchased the new 2011 Explorer after retiring my 1993 Explorer XLT after 18 years and 200K miles. The 93 Explorer was the most reliable vehicle I have ever owned so I figured I would buy another one. The new Explorer has more power, better gas mileage, more seating, more tech toys, better ride and handling, etc. What's not to love? After 6 months and 5K miles, the only item that required adjustment was the alarm. It would go off if a loud truck or motorcycle went by while parked. The dealer adjusted that when they did the first oil change and all is well. I can only hope this Explorer lasts as long and is as reliable as our beloved 1993 model.

Love the leather interior. The Ford SYNC system and My Ford Touch is very cool. There is a bit of a learning curve to figure out all that the system can do but it doesn't take too long. Absolutely LOVE the back up camera. Don't get an Explorer without it because the pillars and headrests in the back make for somewhat limited visibility when turning around to look while backing up. The camera solves that issue. I can't imagine having a vehicle without a backup camera at this point. It's a GREAT feature. It works really well for aligning with a trailer as well. Heated/cooled seats are sweet as well. Navigation system is very cool too. Very spacious inside.

One of my only complaints about the design is the third row seating. I like the idea of the third row seats and the ability of being able to carry 7 people. What I don't like is that when I want to have the seats down to use the back for storage, the storage area is on the backs of the seats, obviously. This means there are gaps in the cargo area for small items to fall through and the deck just is not solid like it was in my '93. I don't know any way around this but I do miss the solid cargo floor of the old design.