In shop for the 3rd time since mid February. 2500 miles
By cessna100 on
2011 Ford Explorer Limited 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 6A)
This is a follow on to the computer network problem. The week after the "soldered job" on the network wiring the cooling fan on left side of radiator makes a grinding noise as it spins down. Had to wait for new fan, on back order. Told it's OK to drive. 2 days later the fan locks-up and is very close to catching on fire. Smell the wiring starting to cook. They replaced the fan and 2 weeks later the replacement is having the same problem. This time they recommended I leave the car till it's fixed. Amazing. Anyone else having the cooling fan or network problem??
Favorite Features
In previous posting.
Suggested Improvements
Ford should recall this vehicle to check the cooling fans and to correct the stability control computer network by replacing the wiring harness in place of tying a wire to the outside of the wiring harness and soldering the connects. Unbelievable. Before you buy, ask about these problems. It is a beautiful car, but wait till Ford steps-up and fixes these problems. They should replace this car. As I told the sales manager, "I am not being paid to be a test pilot for the Ford Motor Company". For $42,000.00 I could have purchased a nicely equipped Acura MDX.
By scarf
on 03/29/11 10:16 AM (PDT)

I have the same fan problem. Going back to shop again. Replaced the fan clutch motor, now have the same issue. So back to shop.

By 4tified
on 07/11/11 15:55 PM (PDT)

Mine is in the shop for the second time. This time its for the shorted out cooling fan. Car overheated in the middle of the city spewing radiator fluid everywhere. Its embarassing as people watch you get out of your obviously newly purchased vehicle as it oozes greeen liquid from under the hood. The first time I brought it in was to replace teh MySync. After replacement its still not working properly.

By rivington
on 08/26/11 08:26 AM (PDT)

I have had the overheating problem as well. Ford has issues with this vehicle and I would recommend that no one should purchase a 2011 Ford Explorer. I only have 7000kms on it. It had to be towed!

By jen413
on 07/13/11 10:55 AM (PDT)

I have a few problems as well. The first- My Ford Touch had to be reset twice, screen kept freezing up and SD Nav card error. So far, so good with that. Next- the vehicle overheated significantly dumping anti freeze all over. The fan was replaced, but now wondering what other damamge was caused from the overheating. Most recent- intermittant tapping, knocking from the engine. Was told Ford knows about it and it's ok to keep driving. Hello Lemon Law.

By jackier2
on 01/19/12 14:57 PM (PST)

Already had the My-Ford Touch reset (Fall 2011) and now it almost overheated. I just heard from the dealer that the fan needs replaced, there is oil dumping somewhere (I can't recall where he said), and the transmission isn't registering! Only 19,500 miles on it:(