Ford Explorer Software Problems
By mjd7 on
2011 Ford Explorer 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 6A)
I recently purchased the 2011 Ford Explorer, which to date has been a marvelous vehicle, with the exception of the on board computer screen. There is a software problem that Ford currently does not have a fix for (according to my dealer). Hence, the onboard screen shows a black screen "SYNC by Microsoft" for much of my driving pleasure. This locks up all the functions of the screen including the navigation system, Heating and Cooling, Entertainment and Phone. It also locks up (for some of the time) the reverse camera, which is a liability because one cannot see anything under 4 feet when reversing.
By jmydo
on 06/15/11 22:10 PM (PDT)

We have had the same problem with the on board computer. This is the second time it has happened to us. Our car is only two weeks old. Maybe we have a lemon!

By obs165
on 06/20/11 19:31 PM (PDT)

My concern is what kind of problems will this Sync My Ford Touch be having after you have owned the vehicle for a few years? I can't imagine what it will cost to get such a system repaired after the warranty on the vehicle has run out. I'm used to keeping vehicles for at least 5 years before getting a new one. Will this computer system be a constant money pit over the coming years?

By stevesal32
on 06/20/11 11:51 AM (PDT)

I had the same problem except that while I was taking delivery of the vehicle, it went black. Actually, while the girl was showing me the features of the car and asked me to start it, nothing showed up. So, it is in the shop and I have not driven it yet. Hope it is just a reflash and if it happens again, I will try the turn off, wait, restart thing mentioned by bryks. Has anyone else foudn a fix?

By fordexp2011
on 07/27/11 05:36 AM (PDT)

I have owned my 2011 Ford Explorer for two months and have already seen the service dept. twice. Last month my engine light went on while I was parked and then started smoking and overheated. Car was towed and I got it back the next day. Yesterday my computer screen went blank. Had appt. at 8:00 took to dealership today for repair. Tech busy working on another Ford same problem . Going back later . :( Not happy two issues in two months of owning.

By bryks
on 06/16/11 19:04 PM (PDT)

We just purchased ours today and had this happen after dinner. We turned the car off and waited a minute and turned it back on and it did an update with Microsoft and then came back. I certainly hope that this is not a continuous problem with the unit we shall see.