Better than the Pilot
By gbtgd on
2011 Ford Explorer Limited 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 6A)
I got my 2011 Explorer in June. So far so good. My car is loaded. The only features I don't have on it are the sun roof and the engine upgrade for the class III hitch. In '05 I traded in my Durango (best car I EVER owned) and got a Pilot after ruling out the '05 Explorer. I HATED the Pilot. The Pilot was fairly reliable but it was BORING. Plus going from a V8 to a V6 was a real drop at the time. So when I heard the new Durango was out for '11 I tried it. It was awful. So, I went next door to the Ford dealer and tried the '11 Explorer and liked it a lot. Wish the Explorer was based on a pickup, not a car, and wish it came with a V8 option. The V6, even upgraded, is NOT the same as a V8
Favorite Features
Comfortable with lots of space (compared it to the Durango and the Pathfinder and both seemed smaller inside). Like the backup camera feature. Like that the DVD screens are in the headrests and that my kid can put the DVD in and control it from the back. Lots of trunk space. Handles well. Smooth ride. Has enough power but would like to see a V8 option. Heated seats are really warm. Like that passenger window has 1 touch operation like drive window. Has enough cup holders and like the seat divider in back seat. Love the ambient lighting. Like the USB port for my iPhone. LOVE that it has a regular plug outlet in back for my kid's DSi. Like the sliding sunshades in front.
Suggested Improvements
The My Touch doesn't always work right. It's a great idea but has lots of bugs & needs LOTS of work. 1st, it takes FOREVER to boot up. My iPhone connects 99% of the time but often the voice activation does not work. It's hard to end a call if it's dialing the wrong number. MyTouch turns down the volume so I can't hear my radio if it is beeping. I wish I could keep the seat warmer turned on so that when I start the car up the seat warmer comes on too. The NAV system is hard to use. You pretty much HAVE to have a zip code to use it. And, since the boot process for the whole MyTouch is so slow, you'll be waiting a while to leave. Rain sensing window wipers go off on clear sunny rain-free days.