Used 2011 Ford Explorer SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2011 Ford Explorer - Consumer Reviews

2011 Ford Explorer SUV

View reviews for a specific Explorer model:

OK so far
By nazareth1

2011 Ford Explorer SUV Limited 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

My 2011 Limited has 10,000 miles on it. So far, so good mechanically......kind of scared though looking at some other problems with overheating. Yes, the My Touch/Sync issue hit me too....had it back to dealer 3x times, supposedly fixed it but after getting it home, they wiped off by Nav and all phone functions...have no idea how the dealer released it, but the system is so sophisicated the dealers really do not know what to do about it unless Ford sends them software update. Finally, seems like last update in October, 2011 has worked. Rear hatch misaligned slightly at factory, not sure how that passed QC. Love the ride and tows a 3600 lb trailer fine.

Favorite Features

Ride, quiet, features

Suggested Improvements

Gas mileage about 17.3 MPG combined not the best.

Lemon
By chuckerrx

2011 Ford Explorer SUV Limited 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

I'm about to contact a lawyer about my 2011 Explorer Limited Lemon. I just spoke with a customer service manager at ford for my dealers district and was basically told tuff cookies! The MFT ( I can think of another word for the F instead of Ford) is junk. Goes black all the time and takes out the phone, stereo, nav, and climate controls. On a 100 degree day the MFT decided to turn on the heat and defrost full blast and there was no changing it until the car was off for awhile, nice. Ford said there might be an update fix in the first quarter of 2012. Might? might? great!

Better than the Pilot
By gbtgd

2011 Ford Explorer SUV Limited 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

I got my 2011 Explorer in June. So far so good. My car is loaded. The only features I don't have on it are the sun roof and the engine upgrade for the class III hitch. In '05 I traded in my Durango (best car I EVER owned) and got a Pilot after ruling out the '05 Explorer. I HATED the Pilot. The Pilot was fairly reliable but it was BORING. Plus going from a V8 to a V6 was a real drop at the time. So when I heard the new Durango was out for '11 I tried it. It was awful. So, I went next door to the Ford dealer and tried the '11 Explorer and liked it a lot. Wish the Explorer was based on a pickup, not a car, and wish it came with a V8 option. The V6, even upgraded, is NOT the same as a V8

Favorite Features

Comfortable with lots of space (compared it to the Durango and the Pathfinder and both seemed smaller inside). Like the backup camera feature. Like that the DVD screens are in the headrests and that my kid can put the DVD in and control it from the back. Lots of trunk space. Handles well. Smooth ride. Has enough power but would like to see a V8 option. Heated seats are really warm. Like that passenger window has 1 touch operation like drive window. Has enough cup holders and like the seat divider in back seat. Love the ambient lighting. Like the USB port for my iPhone. LOVE that it has a regular plug outlet in back for my kid's DSi. Like the sliding sunshades in front.

Suggested Improvements

The My Touch doesn't always work right. It's a great idea but has lots of bugs & needs LOTS of work. 1st, it takes FOREVER to boot up. My iPhone connects 99% of the time but often the voice activation does not work. It's hard to end a call if it's dialing the wrong number. MyTouch turns down the volume so I can't hear my radio if it is beeping. I wish I could keep the seat warmer turned on so that when I start the car up the seat warmer comes on too. The NAV system is hard to use. You pretty much HAVE to have a zip code to use it. And, since the boot process for the whole MyTouch is so slow, you'll be waiting a while to leave. Rain sensing window wipers go off on clear sunny rain-free days.

FIRST EVER FORD
By smallmouth

2011 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

We purchased our first ever ford vehicle. 3 days later it was in the shop for a computer failure. One week later we got it back. So far 7000 miles later we haven't had any more problems. My ford touch wasn't a well thought out plan. I think Ford released it during the devolpment stage. The road noise is bad, I have a 2004 Dodge 2500 diesel that has less road noise that this thing.

Favorite Features

Heated Leather seats are nice.

Suggested Improvements

My Ford Tough! Road noise is bad.

Love my new Explorer!
By mgward3

2011 Ford Explorer SUV Limited 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

I purchased the new 2011 Explorer after retiring my 1993 Explorer XLT after 18 years and 200K miles. The 93 Explorer was the most reliable vehicle I have ever owned so I figured I would buy another one. The new Explorer has more power, better gas mileage, more seating, more tech toys, better ride and handling, etc. What's not to love? After 6 months and 5K miles, the only item that required adjustment was the alarm. It would go off if a loud truck or motorcycle went by while parked. The dealer adjusted that when they did the first oil change and all is well. I can only hope this Explorer lasts as long and is as reliable as our beloved 1993 model.

Favorite Features

Love the leather interior. The Ford SYNC system and My Ford Touch is very cool. There is a bit of a learning curve to figure out all that the system can do but it doesn't take too long. Absolutely LOVE the back up camera. Don't get an Explorer without it because the pillars and headrests in the back make for somewhat limited visibility when turning around to look while backing up. The camera solves that issue. I can't imagine having a vehicle without a backup camera at this point. It's a GREAT feature. It works really well for aligning with a trailer as well. Heated/cooled seats are sweet as well. Navigation system is very cool too. Very spacious inside.

Suggested Improvements

One of my only complaints about the design is the third row seating. I like the idea of the third row seats and the ability of being able to carry 7 people. What I don't like is that when I want to have the seats down to use the back for storage, the storage area is on the backs of the seats, obviously. This means there are gaps in the cargo area for small items to fall through and the deck just is not solid like it was in my '93. I don't know any way around this but I do miss the solid cargo floor of the old design.