2011 Ford Explorer SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Explorer model:
Take My Ford, Please
By takemyexplorer on 01/13/12 04:36 AM (PST)

2011 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

Buyer Beware!!!! I've never written a car review, but I felt compelled after purchasing my 2011 Ford Explorer. Let me start off by stating that I had leased 5 Explorers through my old job prior to purchasing my supposed new and improved 2011 Explorer. What a waste of time and money. I've owned the car for less than 7 months and it's already been in the shop 8 times. Lemon Laws do not apply because I've had 5 different problems and did not have the same problem more than 4 times until I had already driven over 12,000 miles. Do not buy this car until they work out all of the "kinks."

Pleased with Purchase
By onetahoegal on 01/09/12 20:48 PM (PST)

2011 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

Seats are beyond comfortable. Love the back up feature for parallel parking. The navagation system was recently updated by the Ford dealer so I don't have problems with the clock or temperature reading anymore. I can fit 6 teenagers comfortably. Noticed a tapping sound on the "A" pillar (on the passenger side). Having it replaced on warranty as it's broken. Otherwise, I've been very pleased with our purchase. This is my 2nd Ford Explorer as well.

Very Disappointed
By nancyo40 on 12/01/11 10:33 AM (PST)

2011 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

I purchased my 2011 Ford Explorer this past summer and I love the look of it but as far as issues that's all I seem to have with it. Since day 1 I've had wind noise in my windshield and it may been on one side one day and on the other the next. I've had it in to 2 different Ford dealers which total 5 times plus I went into another dealer and they had no idea what's causing it as well. I've had everything possible changed including the entire windshield and it's still making noise but not constantly. Now it's back in the Ford shop for the windshield noise, my transmission also is not shifting correctly, a noise in my speedometer, and my MFT Navigation screen went blank the other day.

OK so far
By nazareth1 on 11/29/11 16:44 PM (PST)

2011 Ford Explorer SUV Limited 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

My 2011 Limited has 10,000 miles on it. So far, so good mechanically......kind of scared though looking at some other problems with overheating. Yes, the My Touch/Sync issue hit me too....had it back to dealer 3x times, supposedly fixed it but after getting it home, they wiped off by Nav and all phone functions...have no idea how the dealer released it, but the system is so sophisicated the dealers really do not know what to do about it unless Ford sends them software update. Finally, seems like last update in October, 2011 has worked. Rear hatch misaligned slightly at factory, not sure how that passed QC. Love the ride and tows a 3600 lb trailer fine.

Lemon
By chuckerrx on 11/10/11 12:58 PM (PST)

2011 Ford Explorer SUV Limited 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

I'm about to contact a lawyer about my 2011 Explorer Limited Lemon. I just spoke with a customer service manager at ford for my dealers district and was basically told tuff cookies! The MFT ( I can think of another word for the F instead of Ford) is junk. Goes black all the time and takes out the phone, stereo, nav, and climate controls. On a 100 degree day the MFT decided to turn on the heat and defrost full blast and there was no changing it until the car was off for awhile, nice. Ford said there might be an update fix in the first quarter of 2012. Might? might? great!

Better than the Pilot
By gbtgd on 11/09/11 06:53 AM (PST)

2011 Ford Explorer SUV Limited 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

I got my 2011 Explorer in June. So far so good. My car is loaded. The only features I don't have on it are the sun roof and the engine upgrade for the class III hitch. In '05 I traded in my Durango (best car I EVER owned) and got a Pilot after ruling out the '05 Explorer. I HATED the Pilot. The Pilot was fairly reliable but it was BORING. Plus going from a V8 to a V6 was a real drop at the time. So when I heard the new Durango was out for '11 I tried it. It was awful. So, I went next door to the Ford dealer and tried the '11 Explorer and liked it a lot. Wish the Explorer was based on a pickup, not a car, and wish it came with a V8 option. The V6, even upgraded, is NOT the same as a V8

FIRST EVER FORD
By smallmouth on 11/06/11 14:55 PM (PST)

2011 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

We purchased our first ever ford vehicle. 3 days later it was in the shop for a computer failure. One week later we got it back. So far 7000 miles later we haven't had any more problems. My ford touch wasn't a well thought out plan. I think Ford released it during the devolpment stage. The road noise is bad, I have a 2004 Dodge 2500 diesel that has less road noise that this thing.

Love my new Explorer!
By mgward3 on 10/27/11 12:36 PM (PDT)

2011 Ford Explorer SUV Limited 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

I purchased the new 2011 Explorer after retiring my 1993 Explorer XLT after 18 years and 200K miles. The 93 Explorer was the most reliable vehicle I have ever owned so I figured I would buy another one. The new Explorer has more power, better gas mileage, more seating, more tech toys, better ride and handling, etc. What's not to love? After 6 months and 5K miles, the only item that required adjustment was the alarm. It would go off if a loud truck or motorcycle went by while parked. The dealer adjusted that when they did the first oil change and all is well. I can only hope this Explorer lasts as long and is as reliable as our beloved 1993 model.

Buyer Beware, many problems
By layhe on 10/08/11 15:45 PM (PDT)

2011 Ford Explorer SUV Limited 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

We picked up our 2011 Ford Explorer Limited about 3 months ago. I have never owned a vehicle with this many problems. It is in the dealer service department more often then it is at home. It is in my opinion a nice looking vehicle but that is the only thing it has going for it. We have had issues with the sync system, most of the features will quit working at some time. The radio will come on and off, the rain sensing wipers will turn on and off for no reason. The cruise control speeds up and slows down. The windshield has been replaced and the side mouldings twice now because of a whistling noise and the problem persists. The front axle seals have been replaced because they leaked.

2011 Ford Explorer XLT 4WD
By patrick66 on 09/19/11 07:53 AM (PDT)

2011 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

Bought my Explorer in April to replace our 2008 Toyota Highlander. The Explorer is a major upgrade. We have driven over 10,000 miles including an across country trip this summer. The Explorer is much nicer to drive than the Toyota. Much better handling, and the manual mode on the transmission was great driving through mountains. Gas mileage is generally 19-20 mpg in our normal mixed driving. But we were getting up to 27 mpg on our vacation. We have not had any mechanical problems - perfect for my family of 5.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2011 Ford Explorer Suv in VA is:

$89 per month*