2011 Ford Explorer SUV 3.5L V6 6-speed Automatic Consumer Reviews

2011 Ford Explorer - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Explorer model:

2011 Explorer Consumer Reviews

Date Most Helpful Highest Rating Lowest Rating
We Love it!
By jonics

2011 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

Bought the Ford SUV in Dec. 2010 when we traded in a F150. The looks were pleasing and interior comfortable, the back seats folding down for cargo is a plus! On a very cold day the heated seats are great! At the beginning we had several issues with the phones not connecting, had to take it in several times for help with this issue and software updates. Seems to have cleared up. For those who say their phones don't connect all the time, I found a setting on my BB that fixed that. It says to auto connect instead of prompt and that took care of the problem. I do have problems with the clock changing time but it's not very often. I am happy with it so far.

Favorite Features

Love the heated leather seats, the navagation system, SIRIUS radio, rear view back up system and audible alarm when vehicles / people are behind you. Light on side mirrors to let you know a vehicle is coming up next to you. Plenty of room for family with third row seating and all rear seats fold down for cargo. Love having vanity lighted mirrors for both driver and passenger. Rear seat cup holders on door and middle of back seats. Lift gate opener on key.

Suggested Improvements

Side foot railings for help with getting in for elderly and those with disabilities. When both back windows are partially open and you are driving, there is such a horrible noise that envelopes the vehicle it could pop your ear drums. It is a pain to hook up our grandchilds car seat, we hurt/scrape our hands a great deal trying to hook it to the latch...has to be an easier way.

Very Disappointed
By nancyo40

2011 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

I purchased my 2011 Ford Explorer this past summer and I love the look of it but as far as issues that's all I seem to have with it. Since day 1 I've had wind noise in my windshield and it may been on one side one day and on the other the next. I've had it in to 2 different Ford dealers which total 5 times plus I went into another dealer and they had no idea what's causing it as well. I've had everything possible changed including the entire windshield and it's still making noise but not constantly. Now it's back in the Ford shop for the windshield noise, my transmission also is not shifting correctly, a noise in my speedometer, and my MFT Navigation screen went blank the other day.

Favorite Features

I love the look of the new 2011 Explorer but never again will I buy a vehicle the first year one comes out with a new appearance. It's very comfortable and has plenty of room for a family of 5 unless you put carseats in the second row. Then not so much. I am always getting compliments about the look but TRUST me looks aren't everything. MFT screen is cool but is seems delayed alot.

Suggested Improvements

Find a fix to the front windshield noise (very irritating) especially since it's new and shouldn't have this. MFT screen needs improving-very delayed at times when wanting to switch to something new on the screen. A/C (My temp) is a joke because when it's 104' outside and you press the My Temp button it blows hot air for about a minute or two before going to the correct temp you have it set at. Second row setting could use about 6 more inches added to it especially if you have car seats.

FIRST EVER FORD
By smallmouth

2011 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

We purchased our first ever ford vehicle. 3 days later it was in the shop for a computer failure. One week later we got it back. So far 7000 miles later we haven't had any more problems. My ford touch wasn't a well thought out plan. I think Ford released it during the devolpment stage. The road noise is bad, I have a 2004 Dodge 2500 diesel that has less road noise that this thing.

Favorite Features

Heated Leather seats are nice.

Suggested Improvements

My Ford Tough! Road noise is bad.

Worthy of Luxury - Not your typical SUV
By arsenal1

2011 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

The Explorer is outfitted with an incredible ride and a spacious interior marked with quality components. The electronics seem overwhelming at first with MYFORD TOUCH, but it is well worth it. The programing and ease of use is excellent, although I would not have said this on my first ride home from the dealership. Too much to play with it . . . .but functional. The SYNC system works efficiently and is a great feature.

Favorite Features

My Ford Touch; SYNC and overall interior room, comfort and class. Fold down rear seats and handling. Panoramic moon roof and rear AC unit for passengers. Keyless entry. Dual exhaust is pretty cool looking.

Suggested Improvements

Memory seats on XLT version is needed and memory settings for electronic set up of MY Ford Touch and items on the instrument panel. Step bumper protector for loading things on roof top.

will NEVER buy a ford again
By buyahonda

2011 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

this is HORRIBLE. the exterior is awesome but that is all you get. Too many blind spots...if we didn't have the back up camera we would have been in numerous accidents. the sync system sucks..blacksout/ resets/reboost itself out of now where. you definately need someone with you to operate any radio/ac controls or you will crash the car. it is worse then people trying to text while driving. major safety issues. our trunk door is attached improperly. has been in shop 3 times for sync system and the dealers have no idea how to fix. I get car sick everytime I sit in rear seats. 3rd row makes you feel like you are in a closet. recommend you place car seats and entire family in for test dr

Favorite Features

exterior.....that is all. you can't put down 1 window without having them all cracked or you get a horrible sound in your ear. it is difficult to figure out how to activate rear controls from main panel. the gas mileage that say is soooo good...is a flat lie...its just another SUV-gas hog. wish I would have purchased another vehicle or I could return the one I have. very disappointed

Suggested Improvements

Take the 2011 Explorer off the assembly line and remove the existing ones off the dealer lots. Ford is stealing peoples money and am not sure how it past any safety measures many many blind spots

Wait til the bugs are worked out!
By larryhat

2011 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

Less that 5k miles and I have had problems with overheating and air conditioning. Both were resolved by dealer. MyTouch is problematic to say the least. Being computer savvy, I could not get the "upgrades" to install. Took it to my dealer and they had the same issues. The website is as useless as I have seen. Bluetooth phone adapter is no where near as good as the one I had in my F150. Everyone complains that they can't hear me...even though its the same phone as before!

Favorite Features

Beautiful car inside and out. Lots of fun features if Ford ever gets them to work.

Suggested Improvements

Stop lying about the "expected" gas mileage. I drove 700 miles on mostly flat interstate at 65 mpg and the best I got was 21.7! Start from scratch on the myFord Touch. Retrain your quality people! There are few things more frustrating than taking a new car in for repairs!

2011 Explorer problems
By lj5

2011 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

I have brought the car in 3 times so far for "software update" because the clock can't keep time accurately. Today after a routine oil change( the first) I was told that I had a leak in some hose or part that would take TWO WEEKS to get because it is backordered. Very disappointed in this car.

2011 Explorer
By david_tx

2011 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

We ordered our XLT in January, and took delivery in early March. We have 5k miles on it now, and are very happy with it. The quality and comfort is much, much better than any Ford we have owned previously. Interior sound levels are wonderfully quiet, and ride is firm but comfortable. Stability is much better than previous explorer models. Seats are very comfortable -- even on long road trips. Rear seats (both rows) fold completely flat, which is perfect for loading cargo or hauling the family dog pack. The standard V6 has ample power, and we still get over 22 mpg with mostly highway driving. Good job, Ford!

Favorite Features

Fold flat rear seating/cargo area, seat comfort, quiet ride.

Suggested Improvements

Move hazard switch so it is not accidently activated when using my touch screen.