Used 2011 Ford Explorer Limited SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2011 Ford Explorer - Consumer Reviews

2011 Ford Explorer SUV

View reviews for a specific Explorer model:

Lemon - Ford doesn't fix customer complaints
By socalstacy

2011 Ford Explorer SUV Limited 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

LEMON ALERT!!!!! FORD has the WORST customer service in their repairs! I have a 2011 FORD Explorer that anytime I park for the last 3 weeks, it DOES NOT REGISTER that the car is on PARK and I turn off the ignition and the car chimes "SHIFT TO PARK" It's in park, and it does this repeatedly and I have to press in and out the black lever on the gear shift 10 or more times before it "registers" that the car is on park. I have a video of it on my phone, I took a picture of it when I parked at the dealership and they WILL NOT FIX IT because they can't get it to fault. This is NOT my issue alone, just search the internet for the number of people with this issues that DID NOT get fixed!!!!

Favorite Features

Second row bucket seats and second row console. Heated and cooled front seats. Sunroof. Tow package.

Suggested Improvements

Major overhaul...Had for 2 years and already had several non-recall "customer service" improvements suggested by Ford on it. Improve USB interface and that fact that is you use "shuffle" on a playlist it only works until you shut the engine off, each time you get into the car you have to reset shuffle to continue, otherwise it plays the playlist alphabetically by artist. Navigation sent me up the wrong streets because it lacks pinpointing your location, A/V ports continually tell me they are plugged in and to remove usb connections when I have nothing in the a/v (never have).

Beautiful vehicle, but in the shop on a regular basis
By jaholmes

2011 Ford Explorer SUV Limited 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

I have had my 2011 For Explorer Limited for 1 1/2 years. So far I have had to have the following replaced: Air-conditioning unit, back up camera, and a couple of modules (whatever those are.No one could explain it to me) and several trip to update the My Ford Touch (Which is completely unreliable) I just got it out of the shop last week and now my air-bag light is on. The earliest Jim Burke Ford in Bakersfield is able to make an appointment for me, is in 10 days! Whenever I have it in the shop, it is there for several days as they seem to have trouble figuring out how to fix it. I have problems with the Ford Touch responding slow. Don't know how much is the car or if it's incompetent service

Favorite Features

Beautiful car, drives well

Suggested Improvements

My Ford Touch

Lemon
By chuckerrx

2011 Ford Explorer SUV Limited 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

I'm about to contact a lawyer about my 2011 Explorer Limited Lemon. I just spoke with a customer service manager at ford for my dealers district and was basically told tuff cookies! The MFT ( I can think of another word for the F instead of Ford) is junk. Goes black all the time and takes out the phone, stereo, nav, and climate controls. On a 100 degree day the MFT decided to turn on the heat and defrost full blast and there was no changing it until the car was off for awhile, nice. Ford said there might be an update fix in the first quarter of 2012. Might? might? great!

Let me count the problems
By wilkg

2011 Ford Explorer SUV Limited 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

First, I've been a loyal Ford owner for 30 years now. My last Ford was an Expedition. We had no problems with the SUV and put about 120k miles on it. Needless to say, with the current performace of my 2011 Explorer, this will be the last Ford I own. That being said, here are the issues: 1) Transmission slips in first-I almost plowed through the back of the garage last week. 2) Overheating 3) Sync system: a) Bluetooth errors b) Nav slow to react c) system reboots when driving d) radio stays on after car is turned off e) time is wrong f) destination history is wiped out 4) Right rear window is loose..how that got past quality control is beyond me. 5) dashboard noise update to come...

MySync killing a great SUV....
By drvenkman

2011 Ford Explorer SUV Limited 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

We've had our 2011 Explorer for about two months now. From the start we had multiple issues with the MySync system. As I write this review, the Explorer is yet again in the dealer for repair. We've already had to take it back three times. This time the car over heated due to a cooling fan that shorted out. Making the issue worse, though, was the fact that after the car over heated, the MySync system crashed. We've had two updates to the software and we are still experiencing issues with the phone, climate, navigation and audio. We had iSync in our previous 2008 Edge (IT WORKED FLAWLESSLY). Somebody rushed MySync out the door. It's ruining the other outstanding features of this SUV!

Favorite Features

It's got a great ride and we love the design of both the exterior and interior. My wife loves the third row seats. It has some really well thought out features that were implemented with common sense and everyday life in mind.

Suggested Improvements

They have to fix the MySync system!!!