Used 2011 Ford Explorer SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2011 Ford Explorer SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Explorer model:

Problems 2011 Ford Explorer
By neslerspecial

2011 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

First the computer display screen had to be replaced when we first got car because it was not working. Next car was randomly having dead battery issues, as something was drawing from the battery and running. Took to dealership and they said there was an APIM recall and fixed it. It happen 2 weeks later again. Then they said it was a gear shift issue where it kept recognizing it was in park. Was not a recall or a Ford issue so cost $500 to repair. Had a recall on the doors as well. I find it odd that the same battery issued happened 4 times and this time they said it was due to the gear shift problem.

My Explorer after 30,000km
By musicman12456

2011 Ford Explorer SUV Limited 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

I've now had my Ex for 7 months and put 30,000km on the car so I figured it was time for a proper review after driving it for more than a few weeks. 2011 Ex Limited AWD bought used with 69,000km on it. Both key fobs stopped working when more than a foot away from the car. Ford is unable to fix the issue. Shaking from front end when accelerating from a stop. Ford can't find the issue. Rust on the inside door panels (car is always spotless). Knocking from suspension when going over speed bumps. Ford can't find the issue. Stereo gets very muddy at higher than normal volume. Hazard light button started ejecting the CD $1300 to replace the complete head unit.

Smooth as butter on the highway at speed. Effortless to drive. AVG 12.7L/100km. As low as 9.9 and as high as 18.2. Radar cruise is nice when it works. Sensor is always dirty and not working.

Dealers who know how to fix cars. I've been to a few already.

Suspicion of a sensor problem
By xeniadribble1

2011 Ford Explorer SUV Limited 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

Our 2011 Ford Explorer is a fantastic vehicle that has caused us no problems until now. It started approximately two weeks ago, the vehicle does not recognize when it is in park. When we open the door a dash light comes on telling us to put the car in park. So far it takes just once for us to re-start the car, shift into neutral, then back to park, and the problem is sloved. This happens about 60% of the time. I have read elsewhere that other people are having the same problem and Ford does not recognize it as a problem, at least there has been no recalls. I hate to complain because it has been such a great vehicle for us.

The radar feature that prevents tailgating when the cruise control is on has worked out to be a great feature. The dual sunroof's are great, the heated and cooled seats are great, the body style is great. Needless to say we love the vehicle.

Not sure how you could improve on this vehicle.

Lemon - Ford doesn't fix customer complaints
By socalstacy

2011 Ford Explorer SUV Limited 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

LEMON ALERT!!!!! FORD has the WORST customer service in their repairs! I have a 2011 FORD Explorer that anytime I park for the last 3 weeks, it DOES NOT REGISTER that the car is on PARK and I turn off the ignition and the car chimes "SHIFT TO PARK" It's in park, and it does this repeatedly and I have to press in and out the black lever on the gear shift 10 or more times before it "registers" that the car is on park. I have a video of it on my phone, I took a picture of it when I parked at the dealership and they WILL NOT FIX IT because they can't get it to fault. This is NOT my issue alone, just search the internet for the number of people with this issues that DID NOT get fixed!!!!

Second row bucket seats and second row console. Heated and cooled front seats. Sunroof. Tow package.

Major overhaul...Had for 2 years and already had several non-recall "customer service" improvements suggested by Ford on it. Improve USB interface and that fact that is you use "shuffle" on a playlist it only works until you shut the engine off, each time you get into the car you have to reset shuffle to continue, otherwise it plays the playlist alphabetically by artist. Navigation sent me up the wrong streets because it lacks pinpointing your location, A/V ports continually tell me they are plugged in and to remove usb connections when I have nothing in the a/v (never have).

2011 Explorer
By tdbmd

2011 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

We traded in a GMC Yukon XL for a new Explorer XLT. This SUV has better seats, ride and handling. There is a bit more road noise on some surfaces. It is surprisingly good in the snow/ice. Especially given the all season type tires. We have had a few issues with the Sync/My Touch system, but all have resolved with the software upgrades. The engine is good, with fairly good power but you have to rev it to get to the powerband, which seems to be the case with many of the new V-6s these days. Gas mileage is very good for a AWD vehicle. Just returned from a 1500 mile trip and averaged 24 mpg with mostly interstate at 70 mph. Back seats are comfortable.

Front seat comfort, AWD system.

More low end torque. Fix bugs in Sync system