Used 2011 Ford Explorer XLT Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2011 Ford Explorer - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Explorer model:

We Love it!
By jonics

2011 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

Bought the Ford SUV in Dec. 2010 when we traded in a F150. The looks were pleasing and interior comfortable, the back seats folding down for cargo is a plus! On a very cold day the heated seats are great! At the beginning we had several issues with the phones not connecting, had to take it in several times for help with this issue and software updates. Seems to have cleared up. For those who say their phones don't connect all the time, I found a setting on my BB that fixed that. It says to auto connect instead of prompt and that took care of the problem. I do have problems with the clock changing time but it's not very often. I am happy with it so far.

Love the heated leather seats, the navagation system, SIRIUS radio, rear view back up system and audible alarm when vehicles / people are behind you. Light on side mirrors to let you know a vehicle is coming up next to you. Plenty of room for family with third row seating and all rear seats fold down for cargo. Love having vanity lighted mirrors for both driver and passenger. Rear seat cup holders on door and middle of back seats. Lift gate opener on key.

Side foot railings for help with getting in for elderly and those with disabilities. When both back windows are partially open and you are driving, there is such a horrible noise that envelopes the vehicle it could pop your ear drums. It is a pain to hook up our grandchilds car seat, we hurt/scrape our hands a great deal trying to hook it to the latch...has to be an easier way.

Very Disappointed
By nancyo40

2011 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

I purchased my 2011 Ford Explorer this past summer and I love the look of it but as far as issues that's all I seem to have with it. Since day 1 I've had wind noise in my windshield and it may been on one side one day and on the other the next. I've had it in to 2 different Ford dealers which total 5 times plus I went into another dealer and they had no idea what's causing it as well. I've had everything possible changed including the entire windshield and it's still making noise but not constantly. Now it's back in the Ford shop for the windshield noise, my transmission also is not shifting correctly, a noise in my speedometer, and my MFT Navigation screen went blank the other day.

I love the look of the new 2011 Explorer but never again will I buy a vehicle the first year one comes out with a new appearance. It's very comfortable and has plenty of room for a family of 5 unless you put carseats in the second row. Then not so much. I am always getting compliments about the look but TRUST me looks aren't everything. MFT screen is cool but is seems delayed alot.

Find a fix to the front windshield noise (very irritating) especially since it's new and shouldn't have this. MFT screen needs improving-very delayed at times when wanting to switch to something new on the screen. A/C (My temp) is a joke because when it's 104' outside and you press the My Temp button it blows hot air for about a minute or two before going to the correct temp you have it set at. Second row setting could use about 6 more inches added to it especially if you have car seats.

FIRST EVER FORD
By smallmouth

2011 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

We purchased our first ever ford vehicle. 3 days later it was in the shop for a computer failure. One week later we got it back. So far 7000 miles later we haven't had any more problems. My ford touch wasn't a well thought out plan. I think Ford released it during the devolpment stage. The road noise is bad, I have a 2004 Dodge 2500 diesel that has less road noise that this thing.

Heated Leather seats are nice.

My Ford Tough! Road noise is bad.

Worthy of Luxury - Not your typical SUV
By arsenal1

2011 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

The Explorer is outfitted with an incredible ride and a spacious interior marked with quality components. The electronics seem overwhelming at first with MYFORD TOUCH, but it is well worth it. The programing and ease of use is excellent, although I would not have said this on my first ride home from the dealership. Too much to play with it . . . .but functional. The SYNC system works efficiently and is a great feature.

My Ford Touch; SYNC and overall interior room, comfort and class. Fold down rear seats and handling. Panoramic moon roof and rear AC unit for passengers. Keyless entry. Dual exhaust is pretty cool looking.

Memory seats on XLT version is needed and memory settings for electronic set up of MY Ford Touch and items on the instrument panel. Step bumper protector for loading things on roof top.

will NEVER buy a ford again
By buyahonda

2011 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

this is HORRIBLE. the exterior is awesome but that is all you get. Too many blind spots...if we didn't have the back up camera we would have been in numerous accidents. the sync system sucks..blacksout/ resets/reboost itself out of now where. you definately need someone with you to operate any radio/ac controls or you will crash the car. it is worse then people trying to text while driving. major safety issues. our trunk door is attached improperly. has been in shop 3 times for sync system and the dealers have no idea how to fix. I get car sick everytime I sit in rear seats. 3rd row makes you feel like you are in a closet. recommend you place car seats and entire family in for test dr

exterior.....that is all. you can't put down 1 window without having them all cracked or you get a horrible sound in your ear. it is difficult to figure out how to activate rear controls from main panel. the gas mileage that say is soooo good...is a flat lie...its just another SUV-gas hog. wish I would have purchased another vehicle or I could return the one I have. very disappointed

Take the 2011 Explorer off the assembly line and remove the existing ones off the dealer lots. Ford is stealing peoples money and am not sure how it past any safety measures many many blind spots