2011 Ford Explorer - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Explorer model:
Lemon - Ford doesn't fix customer complaints
By socalstacy on 08/24/13 10:28 AM (PDT)

2011 Ford Explorer Limited 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

LEMON ALERT!!!!! FORD has the WORST customer service in their repairs! I have a 2011 FORD Explorer that anytime I park for the last 3 weeks, it DOES NOT REGISTER that the car is on PARK and I turn off the ignition and the car chimes "SHIFT TO PARK" It's in park, and it does this repeatedly and I have to press in and out the black lever on the gear shift 10 or more times before it "registers" that the car is on park. I have a video of it on my phone, I took a picture of it when I parked at the dealership and they WILL NOT FIX IT because they can't get it to fault. This is NOT my issue alone, just search the internet for the number of people with this issues that DID NOT get fixed!!!!

Beautiful vehicle, but in the shop on a regular basis
By jaholmes on 08/14/12 12:06 PM (PDT)

2011 Ford Explorer Limited 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

I have had my 2011 For Explorer Limited for 1 1/2 years. So far I have had to have the following replaced: Air-conditioning unit, back up camera, and a couple of modules (whatever those are.No one could explain it to me) and several trip to update the My Ford Touch (Which is completely unreliable) I just got it out of the shop last week and now my air-bag light is on. The earliest Jim Burke Ford in Bakersfield is able to make an appointment for me, is in 10 days! Whenever I have it in the shop, it is there for several days as they seem to have trouble figuring out how to fix it. I have problems with the Ford Touch responding slow. Don't know how much is the car or if it's incompetent service

Lemon
By chuckerrx on 11/10/11 12:58 PM (PST)

2011 Ford Explorer Limited 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

I'm about to contact a lawyer about my 2011 Explorer Limited Lemon. I just spoke with a customer service manager at ford for my dealers district and was basically told tuff cookies! The MFT ( I can think of another word for the F instead of Ford) is junk. Goes black all the time and takes out the phone, stereo, nav, and climate controls. On a 100 degree day the MFT decided to turn on the heat and defrost full blast and there was no changing it until the car was off for awhile, nice. Ford said there might be an update fix in the first quarter of 2012. Might? might? great!

Let me count the problems
By wilkg on 07/20/11 07:50 AM (PDT)

2011 Ford Explorer Limited 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

First, I've been a loyal Ford owner for 30 years now. My last Ford was an Expedition. We had no problems with the SUV and put about 120k miles on it. Needless to say, with the current performace of my 2011 Explorer, this will be the last Ford I own. That being said, here are the issues: 1) Transmission slips in first-I almost plowed through the back of the garage last week. 2) Overheating 3) Sync system: a) Bluetooth errors b) Nav slow to react c) system reboots when driving d) radio stays on after car is turned off e) time is wrong f) destination history is wiped out 4) Right rear window is loose..how that got past quality control is beyond me. 5) dashboard noise update to come...

MySync killing a great SUV....
By drvenkman on 06/17/11 13:32 PM (PDT)

2011 Ford Explorer Limited 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

We've had our 2011 Explorer for about two months now. From the start we had multiple issues with the MySync system. As I write this review, the Explorer is yet again in the dealer for repair. We've already had to take it back three times. This time the car over heated due to a cooling fan that shorted out. Making the issue worse, though, was the fact that after the car over heated, the MySync system crashed. We've had two updates to the software and we are still experiencing issues with the phone, climate, navigation and audio. We had iSync in our previous 2008 Edge (IT WORKED FLAWLESSLY). Somebody rushed MySync out the door. It's ruining the other outstanding features of this SUV!

What a Great SUV...We Couldn't Be Happier
By larrymcj on 06/05/11 06:34 AM (PDT)

2011 Ford Explorer Limited 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

First American car we've owned since 1978 and I can't tell you how impressed I am. Traded in a 2011 Lexus RX 350 (yes, you read that correctly). The cargo space in this vehicle is not only more than adequate, the power-folding rear seats make it configurable for any load...groceries, golf, vacations, etc. As a retired geek from the computing industry, I have to hand it to Ford (or maybe Microsoft) for the SYNC MyFord Touch system. This is hands-down the best navigation and bluetooth device integrated system available on any vehicle or car. The ride and comfort will truly amaze you. It sits high like a truck frame SUV although it's now a crossover, so you also get car ride comfort.

Just Awesome!!!
By sooners88 on 04/22/11 04:12 AM (PDT)

2011 Ford Explorer Limited 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

After driving a BMW for the past 12 years, I am extremely please with the new 2011 Ford Explorer. Detroit (Ford) has finally caught up with the Japanese and German auto manufacturer. It drives like a luxury sedan and the limited option has all the bells and whistles that you ever wanted.

I Loooove My Explorer
By traveler21 on 02/05/11 18:07 PM (PST)

2011 Ford Explorer Limited 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

After driving my new Explorer Limited for over a month, I can safely say that it is one of the best cars that I have owned. It is comfortable and has more muscle than my Flex that stayed in the family although out of town. The Ford Touch takes a little getting used to but is very responsive to voice commands. We also have a new E 350 in the garage, but is has stayed parked since the Explorer showed up. The only con, we can find is the difficulty in programming the garage door opener.

update from review on 12/24
By feels_good on 01/18/11 08:22 AM (PST)

2011 Ford Explorer Limited 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

This is an update on my 2011 ford explorer that I originally posted on 12/24/10. No after having the vehicle for 4 weeks and almost 2000 miles I feel everyone should know about the many bugs in the ford mytouch system. This feature is definitely not what Ford has advertised. The clock is constantly wrong on the display, when starting the vehicle the volume goes crazy and very high/loud. Also, many issues with syncing phone via bluetooth. Often the screen will freeze up when trying to connect my phone...and the problem is not with the phone because same issue occurs with other phones. When driving vehicle screen will sometimes simply "black out". Taking vehicle to dealer tomorrow.

Great vehicle
By traveler21 on 01/07/11 14:23 PM (PST)

2011 Ford Explorer Limited 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

Have been so impressed with my new Ford Explorer . I knew that It had a great looking exterior but the comfort and use of the new Sync system is beyond my expectations. We have a new Mercedes in the garage and my husband and I rush out the door to see who gets to the Explorer first. Truly an outstanding SUV. Ford has a real winner on it's hands.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2011 Ford Explorer in VA is:

$134 per month*