Used 2011 Ford Explorer Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2011 Ford Explorer - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Explorer model:
Problems 2011 Ford Explorer
By neslerspecial on 04/16/15 09:14 AM (PDT)

2011 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

First the computer display screen had to be replaced when we first got car because it was not working. Next car was randomly having dead battery issues, as something was drawing from the battery and running. Took to dealership and they said there was an APIM recall and fixed it. It happen 2 weeks later again. Then they said it was a gear shift issue where it kept recognizing it was in park. Was not a recall or a Ford issue so cost $500 to repair. Had a recall on the doors as well. I find it odd that the same battery issued happened 4 times and this time they said it was due to the gear shift problem.

My Explorer after 30,000km
By musicman12456 on 03/10/15 12:32 PM (PDT)

2011 Ford Explorer Limited 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

I've now had my Ex for 7 months and put 30,000km on the car so I figured it was time for a proper review after driving it for more than a few weeks. 2011 Ex Limited AWD bought used with 69,000km on it. Both key fobs stopped working when more than a foot away from the car. Ford is unable to fix the issue. Shaking from front end when accelerating from a stop. Ford can't find the issue. Rust on the inside door panels (car is always spotless). Knocking from suspension when going over speed bumps. Ford can't find the issue. Stereo gets very muddy at higher than normal volume. Hazard light button started ejecting the CD $1300 to replace the complete head unit.

Suspicion of a sensor problem
By xeniadribble1 on 10/28/13 14:26 PM (PDT)

2011 Ford Explorer Limited 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

Our 2011 Ford Explorer is a fantastic vehicle that has caused us no problems until now. It started approximately two weeks ago, the vehicle does not recognize when it is in park. When we open the door a dash light comes on telling us to put the car in park. So far it takes just once for us to re-start the car, shift into neutral, then back to park, and the problem is sloved. This happens about 60% of the time. I have read elsewhere that other people are having the same problem and Ford does not recognize it as a problem, at least there has been no recalls. I hate to complain because it has been such a great vehicle for us.

Lemon - Ford doesn't fix customer complaints
By socalstacy on 08/24/13 10:28 AM (PDT)

2011 Ford Explorer Limited 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

LEMON ALERT!!!!! FORD has the WORST customer service in their repairs! I have a 2011 FORD Explorer that anytime I park for the last 3 weeks, it DOES NOT REGISTER that the car is on PARK and I turn off the ignition and the car chimes "SHIFT TO PARK" It's in park, and it does this repeatedly and I have to press in and out the black lever on the gear shift 10 or more times before it "registers" that the car is on park. I have a video of it on my phone, I took a picture of it when I parked at the dealership and they WILL NOT FIX IT because they can't get it to fault. This is NOT my issue alone, just search the internet for the number of people with this issues that DID NOT get fixed!!!!

2011 Explorer
By tdbmd on 04/01/13 13:34 PM (PDT)

2011 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

We traded in a GMC Yukon XL for a new Explorer XLT. This SUV has better seats, ride and handling. There is a bit more road noise on some surfaces. It is surprisingly good in the snow/ice. Especially given the all season type tires. We have had a few issues with the Sync/My Touch system, but all have resolved with the software upgrades. The engine is good, with fairly good power but you have to rev it to get to the powerband, which seems to be the case with many of the new V-6s these days. Gas mileage is very good for a AWD vehicle. Just returned from a 1500 mile trip and averaged 24 mpg with mostly interstate at 70 mph. Back seats are comfortable.

Explorer
By patrick66 on 02/05/13 15:03 PM (PST)

2011 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

The 2011 Explorer must have the worst electronics of any vehicle in history. I bought mine in April 2011. After a few weeks, the audio system was a mess. The speakers would cut out intermittently. It eventually got to the point that there was almost no sound on the left side. After a spending nearly a year of regular visits to the dealer, Ford finally replaced the wiring on the left side of the vehicle. but now the left side has muffled sound, and there is an occasional humming sound in the speakers on the right side. Now the dealer refuses to deal with the problem, and customer service at Ford says there is nothing they can do. Last Ford for me.

Too many problems
By rryan5 on 12/15/12 09:46 AM (PST)

2011 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

Swore I would never buy another Ford after the Explorer I bought in 2000 had the transmission go out at 37000 miles and Ford would only cover half the cost even though I had sevice records showing I had been complaining about it from 15000 miles on. If I didn't have those records they weren't going to cover any of it even thought it was only 1000 miles past warranty. But when the new model came out in 2011 I really liked it and since Ford looked like they had a turn-around the past few years I figured they must have improved their quality control and customer service. Wrong again! Not going to go over every problem (just read through these reviews) but this time, never again!

Beautiful vehicle, but in the shop on a regular basis
By jaholmes on 08/14/12 12:06 PM (PDT)

2011 Ford Explorer Limited 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

I have had my 2011 For Explorer Limited for 1 1/2 years. So far I have had to have the following replaced: Air-conditioning unit, back up camera, and a couple of modules (whatever those are.No one could explain it to me) and several trip to update the My Ford Touch (Which is completely unreliable) I just got it out of the shop last week and now my air-bag light is on. The earliest Jim Burke Ford in Bakersfield is able to make an appointment for me, is in 10 days! Whenever I have it in the shop, it is there for several days as they seem to have trouble figuring out how to fix it. I have problems with the Ford Touch responding slow. Don't know how much is the car or if it's incompetent service

DO NOT BUY or LEASE THIS CAR!!!!
By modernart1 on 05/25/12 06:03 AM (PDT)

2011 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

In May of 2011 I leased a Brand New 2011 Ford Explorer. In July of 2011 I began to have problems with the tire pressure monitor fault sensor. It was going off ever 10 minutes or so every time we drove on a highway. I brought the car into a certified ford dealer to get fixed and 3 days after they fixed it the sensor kept going off again. I had to bring the car in in August and November for the same issue. In March of 2012 my car OVERHEATED!!They had to replace the engine coolant fan.. Yesterday my ford touch screen that controls heat, ac and radio went blank...I have called Ford a few times and they say it does not have enough problems with it to replace the vechile..They are also VERY RUDE!!

Fix Or Repair Daily
By kxteem on 01/31/12 16:00 PM (PST)

2011 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

We purchased our new 2011 Ford Explorer in March of 2011 because the looks sold my Husband and I. From that moment until November 2011 when we finally got rid of it were those most aggravating months dealing with Ford, Ford Reps and several Ford dealers. The My Ford Touch is a driving disaster and constantly takes yours eyes off the road because it does not work. Our screen froze so many times, and we were left without a/c or heat or radio. This system is the main brain of this vehicle. The voice commands would not operate either. We have been to the dealer for an upgrade, and they keep saying that "This will fix the problem". Also problem with Gas vent hose. Do not buy this vehicle!!