Used 2010 Ford Explorer SUV Consumer Reviews - 18 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2010 Ford Explorer SUV - Consumer Reviews

2010 Ford Explorer SUV

View reviews for a specific Explorer model:

2010 Explorer long-term review!
By golf

2010 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Bought XLT used in 2012 w/16384 mi. turned 70k today! No problems to speak of. The 2010 is the last model year of this style before the new/current style came out in 2011, so you'd think most every problem was worked out by 2010 :>) I bought a battery 1/16 to rpl orig. Replaced radiator cap too. Oh, and one set of tires around 50k is all.
MPG rating of 14/20 is wrong - I consistently get 17.5 mpg around town [ in New England] and hwy is 23+mpg...!
All around excellent SUV; comfort, 7 passenger, rear AC, 4WD etc...
The 200hp V6 is a very good engine. What it 'might' lack in [V8-like] power, it makes up for in mpg and all other areas. And you feel safe driving it! What's your life worth, right :>)

Trying Again With a Newer Model
By WNYFordGuy

2010 Ford Explorer SUV Limited 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I bought this model used in Aug 2012 after finding it on the lot before it was advertised for sale.
I wanted to trade in my '04 Explorer XLT after a mechanic told me the rear differential would fail 'soon'.
The '04 was a money pit and I wasn't going to spend another cent on it, despite putting a rebuilt tranny
into it at 67k miles. I'd read the '10 Explorer's reliability was much better (more like my '97 Explorer),
and this vehicle, with only 23.5k on it, seemed like a steal. I've been very happy with it so far after
3 years, because...

When I complained in a customer reply survey that the cheap wheel bearings used on this (needed replacement
at 34.4k) and my '04 was outrageous and pushed me to look at non-Ford products, Ford reimbursed my expenses
for the repair - even though it wasn't done at a Ford dealer! I've never formally complained to Ford before,
but it paid off here.

As another reviewer noted, the Goodyear OEM tires have no lifespan - almost shot after only 34.4k miles.
I get around 15 MPG on my winter commuting loop, though this past winter with record cold resulted
in 12 MPG in February. Summer round trips average between 17-21 MPG.

Favorite Features: Extremely smooth ride. Roomy interior. Love the heated seats and mirrors for cold upstate NY
winters. Thank goodness for the backup sensors. Six-CD changer works/sounds great, and I really like the
steering-mounted audio system controls. I really like the Sirius satellite radio, too. My wife loves the
dual-zone A/C.

Suggested Improvements: I don't even bother to use the SYNC package. I think I will no longer buy upper-end
trim lines in vehicles because I'm sick of paying for options/features I don't want/need.
Plugging my iPod into the sound system without SYNC works fine for me. The headrests, and the seating
position they forced, took some time to get used to, and the blind spots they create are enormous. I learned
that if I adjusted the side-view mirrors much wider than usual, it helped.

My 2010 Explorer
By bobbyabby

2010 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

My 2010 Explorer XLT has been awesome! I do not put a lot of miles on a vehicle (have 36,000 after 3 years) but I have only had to replace the battery & tires. I will say the Goodyear tires that came on the Explorer was almost bald after 35,000 miles- I was disappointed in the tires but replaced them with Michelin Tour brand and it rides even better, smooth as silk now. Leather seats & great lumbar support-excellent! Other than these issues the vehicle has no rattles and looks like new. The paint, body quality, interior, brakes etc. are excellent quality and I am more than happy. I plan to keep this one for 10 to 12 years total and have no doubt it will make it.

Interior, smooth ride, great quality, great lumbar support.

Tires- wish they had been better quality than the Goodyear radials that were gone at 35,000 miles.

The last and best Explorer 4X4
By jblakus

2010 Ford Explorer SUV Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

My Explorer has been on the road since 2/2011 with 16,200 miles.
I got this model over the new 2011, because I want a true 4x4 Explorer. It drives smoothly and is very comfortable.
The transmission is smooth in AWD and typical in high and low 4X4. The 3rd row sitting is nice to have, but I have never needed it yet .This is my second EB model and the features are better than ever. The only con is the gas mileage, but I knew about the lower mileage performance before buying it. If you want a true 4x4 Explorer, this is the model to get.

The electric adjustable and heated seats are great. The sound system is very good. The interior style and finish is very well done. Many electric connections including: 3 - 12V plug-ins, 120V plug-in, powered USB, and AUX connection

SYNC needs a major software upgrade to be truly useful. Using K&N air filter and synthetic oil seems to have given an extra 2 MPG. Info display could have been larger.

LIFE NOT MORE THAN 100,000 KMS
By shajan

2010 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

i was driving Japanese Four wheel drives.
when i decided to buy an american car, i bought FORD EXPLORER 2007.
immediately after 100,000 kms it started giving problems.
first with the air conditioning system and had to replace the evaporator.
at 115,000kms some cable system had to be replaced.
then started the gear to slip and had to get it repaired.
now again the air condition system started giving problems.
the repairs are so expensive that i had already spent Dhs. 25,000/= on these repairs.
am not at all happy with the vehicle.
and shall never purchase any american vehicles.