First Rate!
By Tom on
2009 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)
This is my company vehicle that I got to choose. Prior to this I had a 2004 Chevy Trailblazer. This is by far a better vehicle, better style, greater comfort, and a solid build. I've put on 16,000 miles so far and have had no problems. The 4x4 works great, especially the automatic 4x4, you normally won't feel it engage and the traction control works very well off road. The independent suspension all around does a great job on washboard gravel roads. My trailblazer would be bouncing sideways in the same conditions. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend the Explorer to anyone needing a capable all road vehicle. Too bad they're changing it into a crossover soon, what a shame!
Favorite Features
Body on frame construction with a true 4 wheel drive system, independent suspension with automatic 4x4, interior comfort is very good, exterior styling, the ability to tow 5000 lbs. with the V6, fuel economy has been decent also.
Suggested Improvements
Ground clearance and a skid plate option would be my no. 1 change. Also it would be sweet to have an FX4 package with a differential lock for the Explorer for those needing greater off road ability as I could use.