Nice SUV, Cheesy Interior Changes
By Petersdraggon on
2008 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)
Previously owned a 2005. This one has the cheesy chromed instrument cluster/tunnel?),chromed round air vents. I liked the retangular ones better, not gimmicky, but kept with the truck-like theme and feel of the rest of the SUV. I also liked the column mounted shift lever, now in the console it takes up space; lever so huge-looks out of place and gets in the way of the controls especially when in park-that was another gimmicky move, form over function, I hate that. New door handles are bulbous. Engine roars-needs insulation but bulletproof. U-Haul still won't rent a trailer to Explorer owners, what a shame. It pulls them great. With that said, it is solid, boxed framed and spacious. Buy it!
Favorite Features
Large storage behind 2nd row seating, towing ability, comfortable, handles better than a new Durango that I drove. I like the solid truck-like feel.
Suggested Improvements
Sound insulation, more horsepower for the v6 and better fuel economy- although I realize the thing weighs 4600 pounds and it takes fuel to move that mass. Move shift back to column, restyle the vents & instrument cluster.