Used 2008 Ford Explorer Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Ford Explorer - Consumer Reviews

2008 Ford Explorer

View reviews for a specific Explorer model:

Used 2008 explorer
By Freddy

2008 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I purchased my 2008 explorer 17 days ago. This is my 6th Explorer since 91. The 2008 model year is nicely styled, although personally I like the 05 much better - much classier look opposed to the chrome bars and round gauges. At first I hated the center mounted shift knob but my hand rests on it when using the arm rest, so its actually comfortable. Like others have said, interior parts are cheap. Overall I like Explorers, but this 08 has had a number of issues. In 17 days of ownership (bought with 16,200 mi on it) a speaker died, a part in the catalytic converter system failed and needed to be replaced, and the no cap gas cap filler neck had to be replaced due to improper sealing.

Favorite Features

I have never had problems with past explorers, so did I just get a bad one, or should you overlook the 08? Favorites: Exterior styling, comfort, drivability, safety, size, height, availability of parts for when it has problems, and durability.

Suggested Improvements

improve quality of interior parts, better gas mileage, re-think the no cap tanks - its cheaper to replace a gas cap then the filler neck to solve a vapor seal issue (mine was done on warranty), and improve the very large blind spots not helped with the rear seat head rests even when folded down.

Best SUV
By AnthraciteAspec

2008 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I had my Ex for about 3 months now. It's great SUV because it has everything I need. The V6 is just enough for me, I mainly do city driving. I like the leather quality on the seats. It is very quiet and I love the comfort on the 2nd row.

Favorite Features

Sync has to be the best feature on this car. It lets you control your stereo without lifting a finger. The power running boards are great.

Suggested Improvements

I think Ford needs to redesign the 3 row because there isnt that much leg room for 2 grown teenagers. They also need to re-design the center console, there isnt enough space to have accessories in your car.

Great car, bad seat design
By Pd

2008 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Drivers over 6' 3" should consider another vehicle. The power seats tilt back when they go down so you sit leaning back which is very uncomfortable. With the moon roof you loose about 1.5" of headroom so tall people will have their head rubbing the roof. I thought I could live with this but the car must go!

Favorite Features

Car look great drives great. My last one ran to 195K and still looked good.

Suggested Improvements

Redesign the seat so when it goes lower it does not tilt back.

Good value for the money
By Baxter

2008 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV AWD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Went from an '07 4Runner to the Explorer. Really love the Sync system and the softer ride. Seems to be a really solid vehicle and very capable. "Classy" seems to be a word that is very appropriate for the Explorer, expecially given the re- design of the front end. Given that the V-6 gets similar mileage to the V-8, wish I would have gone with the V-8 now for the extra power. Would also suggest going with the upgraded stereo system as the standard unit is very mediocre. However, I feel the Explorer is a very good value for the money.

Favorite Features

Sync System is awesome! Interior is very comfortable and puts you up in the air like an SUV should. Overall ride is also very good for a truck- based SUV. Really love the look of the 18" chrome wheels. Safety features aren't sexy, but are appreciated. Did I mention how cool the Sync System is?

Suggested Improvements

A better base-level stereo and a grab handle on the driver's side "A" pillar would be welcome improvements. The tilt wheel is just awful. Think hard about whether you can live with the awkwardness of the under-the-column lever. Larger rubber on the nice wheels would improve the looks and function.

Nice SUV, Cheesy Interior Changes
By Petersdraggon

2008 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Previously owned a 2005. This one has the cheesy chromed instrument cluster/tunnel?),chromed round air vents. I liked the retangular ones better, not gimmicky, but kept with the truck-like theme and feel of the rest of the SUV. I also liked the column mounted shift lever, now in the console it takes up space; lever so huge-looks out of place and gets in the way of the controls especially when in park-that was another gimmicky move, form over function, I hate that. New door handles are bulbous. Engine roars-needs insulation but bulletproof. U-Haul still won't rent a trailer to Explorer owners, what a shame. It pulls them great. With that said, it is solid, boxed framed and spacious. Buy it!

Favorite Features

Large storage behind 2nd row seating, towing ability, comfortable, handles better than a new Durango that I drove. I like the solid truck-like feel.

Suggested Improvements

Sound insulation, more horsepower for the v6 and better fuel economy- although I realize the thing weighs 4600 pounds and it takes fuel to move that mass. Move shift back to column, restyle the vents & instrument cluster.