2008 Ford Explorer SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Explorer model:
Burrr....my feet are cold!
By Lynziee on 11/30/09 19:14 PM (PST)

2008 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

This is actually a company vehicle for me. I've had it 2 years and put on over 51,000 miles so I have spent many hours driving in this truck. The major problem with this specific model is that the floor heat on the driver's side does not push out as much heat as the passenger side. So, the passenger is roasting and the driver's feet are still frozen. With no dual zone climate control this is a problem. I took it into the dealer and they said they knew of the problem and tried to redirect the vents but were not very successful. So, if you drive it by yourself or live in a warm climate you are fine. If you drive in the cold and like to have company, this may not be the vehicle for you.

Love it!
By lynn on 10/04/09 19:35 PM (PDT)

2008 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

After reading, test driving,etc. etc. I just couldn't talk myself out of getting this Explorer and am so glad I didn't! I love it, the ride is great, easy for my elderly parents to get in and out, as well as the grandkids! I actually look forward to driving to work! Interior is very nice and easy to use audio system. Can't say anything bad about it!

what a GREAT CAR!!!
By tom galvin on 07/17/09 17:41 PM (PDT)

2008 Ford Explorer SUV Limited 4dr SUV AWD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

This car has been great from day one no problems very comfortable great power, turning radius, design and everything!! ive only owned fords in the past and have had an explorer before but this blows all of them out of the water!!!

Great buy for the money
By Robert on 06/30/09 20:05 PM (PDT)

2008 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I have had this car for about a year now. Great pickup with the v6 and good power. Would suggest to anyone who wants an import. It just is not worth the extra money when this car is so much less and preforms just as well if not better. As for the interior not being stiched leather, get over it. its a ford, not a lincoln. No problems whatsoever. Car tells me when to get my oil changed, low tire pressure, low gas, etc. It has a very smart on board computer.

Good bang for the buck.
By Harry on 06/14/09 20:50 PM (PDT)

2008 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

This marks my third Ford Explorer. My only complaint is the center mounted shifter. The previous one (2002) had ample amounts of area for your stuff. Considering the price as compared to a Toyota 4Runner, Nissan Pathfinder or other comperable vehicles the explorer was WAY WAY WAY more truck for the money. It literally cost almost 1/3 less than the two above mentioned rides. I can live with some small quirks for the money I saved.

Used 2008 explorer
By Freddy on 03/30/09 07:24 AM (PDT)

2008 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I purchased my 2008 explorer 17 days ago. This is my 6th Explorer since 91. The 2008 model year is nicely styled, although personally I like the 05 much better - much classier look opposed to the chrome bars and round gauges. At first I hated the center mounted shift knob but my hand rests on it when using the arm rest, so its actually comfortable. Like others have said, interior parts are cheap. Overall I like Explorers, but this 08 has had a number of issues. In 17 days of ownership (bought with 16,200 mi on it) a speaker died, a part in the catalytic converter system failed and needed to be replaced, and the no cap gas cap filler neck had to be replaced due to improper sealing.

Best SUV
By AnthraciteAspec on 02/27/09 10:02 AM (PST)

2008 Ford Explorer SUV Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I had my Ex for about 3 months now. It's great SUV because it has everything I need. The V6 is just enough for me, I mainly do city driving. I like the leather quality on the seats. It is very quiet and I love the comfort on the 2nd row.

Great car, bad seat design
By Pd on 02/12/09 05:33 AM (PST)

2008 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Drivers over 6' 3" should consider another vehicle. The power seats tilt back when they go down so you sit leaning back which is very uncomfortable. With the moon roof you loose about 1.5" of headroom so tall people will have their head rubbing the roof. I thought I could live with this but the car must go!

Good value for the money
By Baxter on 01/06/09 13:55 PM (PST)

2008 Ford Explorer SUV Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV AWD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Went from an '07 4Runner to the Explorer. Really love the Sync system and the softer ride. Seems to be a really solid vehicle and very capable. "Classy" seems to be a word that is very appropriate for the Explorer, expecially given the re- design of the front end. Given that the V-6 gets similar mileage to the V-8, wish I would have gone with the V-8 now for the extra power. Would also suggest going with the upgraded stereo system as the standard unit is very mediocre. However, I feel the Explorer is a very good value for the money.

Nice SUV, Cheesy Interior Changes
By Petersdraggon on 11/17/08 17:24 PM (PST)

2008 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Previously owned a 2005. This one has the cheesy chromed instrument cluster/tunnel?),chromed round air vents. I liked the retangular ones better, not gimmicky, but kept with the truck-like theme and feel of the rest of the SUV. I also liked the column mounted shift lever, now in the console it takes up space; lever so huge-looks out of place and gets in the way of the controls especially when in park-that was another gimmicky move, form over function, I hate that. New door handles are bulbous. Engine roars-needs insulation but bulletproof. U-Haul still won't rent a trailer to Explorer owners, what a shame. It pulls them great. With that said, it is solid, boxed framed and spacious. Buy it!

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.