2008 Ford Explorer SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Explorer model:
Definitely a family SUV
By George Torres on 10/03/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2008 Ford Explorer SUV Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV AWD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

2008 with 37000 miles already on it. First driving experience was very good. Lot of room for the whole family and very comfortable seating.It drives very quite but reaching 70 miles per hours a front road noise surprised me. I have to check with the dealer. My experience with cars is telling me that something has to do with the ball bearings. Also a squeaky noise came from the front of the car. I checked under the hood and looks like the serpentine belt is the problem and since many people already are talking about it in the internet, I do not have doubt that that it is the problem. I will bring the car to the dealer to be checked but if those two problems can be fixed t

The Best SUV You Can Buy
By Mike on 08/16/10 23:36 PM (PDT)

2008 Ford Explorer SUV Limited 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I've owned Explorers since they were introduced and have owned several. I have used them for business. They are, absolutely, the best, most dependable vehicle I have ever owned. New or previously owned. I still have the first one I bought. It has almost 290k in mileage on it. Other than standard maintanence, oil changes, tires, brakes, scheduled maintenance, etc. I have never had not one single problem with this vehicle. Not one. I just purchased a very low mileage 2008 limited. And it's like coming home again. Only better. The one that I have is a 99' and it's like the every ready bunny. It just keeps going and I love the new one. These are really fantastic SUV's.

Great SUV
By SUVLover on 07/19/10 20:03 PM (PDT)

2008 Ford Explorer SUV Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV 4WD (4.6L 8cyl 6A)

Overall, a very good SUV. Great power/performance, very good towing capacity/capability, lots of interior room, 3rd row seating that actually can fit 2 smaller adults, nice styling. 4WD cuts in flawlessly when needed. Seats are comfortable but not as much as others I've driven. Bad blind spot in the passenger rear corner but can be compensated for by adjusting the side view mirror. Transmission sometimes has harsh engagement before it warms up when accelerating from a stop. Brakes get some getting used to since it takes more pressure than most vehicles I've driven over the past 40 years.

very good, I love it!
By valeria on 06/04/10 06:58 AM (PDT)

2008 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I just love this car, always had a big car as, Navigator, Suburban, Avalanche, but I'm very happy with is one.

C'mon man!
By John on 04/26/10 09:56 AM (PDT)

2008 Ford Explorer SUV Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV 4WD (4.6L 8cyl 6A)

The transmission is crappy in first gear. Big clunk when coming to a complete stop. Pretty much have to stand on the brakes. No info about automatic door opener in standard manual. Interior is lame, no place comfortable for the knees. Biggest right side blind spot on the planet, and no vision through the rear view mirror when the video screen is down.

WoW ford hit a home run!!
By Ford Lover on 02/21/10 09:20 AM (PST)

2008 Ford Explorer SUV Limited 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 6A)

This car is amazing!!! I drive it for work all around the city and it gets 18.9 mpgs overall!!! This car has great power and pick up. I like to brag that I always beat those Bmw suvs out of the traffic lights! Its got a very nice interior 9 cup holders but don't use them i pack people it in all the time and love to take it off road!!! no problems and a sunny future together!

software problems
By classy chic on 02/02/10 17:29 PM (PST)

2008 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4dr SUV 4WD (4.6L 8cyl 6A)

So I just bought my 2008 ford explorer last friday, january 30, 2010. When I come to a complete stop it the car jerks. Sometimes when I am at 70mph or higher it jerks also. I talk to ford about it and they said that the software in the transmission needs to be re-programmed. I have a 3 yr warranty, but it is still very inconvenient to have to already take the suv back to get something fixed and I just bought it. After reading the reviews and hearing about all the radiator problems, I guess I better prepare myself for this pretty soon. Ford should be more wise on the certain parts they put on vehicles, because when you have so many other people with similar problems, that's a big problem!!

disappointed
By redstang on 01/27/10 13:20 PM (PST)

2008 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Had a '96 Explorer V6 RWD, 185000 miles and ran good. Decided it was time to update, now have an 08 RWD V6, 4 speed auto with O/D. The 96 got 22 mpg highway, 08 lucky to get 20 mpg. The seat/steering is difficult to get in a comfortable position, steering lever knob way down under, tough to find and tougher to set in an exact position. Turn signal lever is high behind the steering wheel, fumble to find it. Idiot light for battery, reset button for mileage, etc is in indiotic position on dash, diappointed obviously with interior design of dash, etc. The '96 egronomically, was much more user friendly. '08 ride is nicer and traction control helpful in winter conditions.

Piece of Car
By sdexplorer on 01/16/10 16:33 PM (PST)

2008 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

First family SVU. Thought of buying XTerra but decided to stick with american built.

Ford Explorer - poor design and quality
By TKenn on 12/07/09 10:07 AM (PST)

2008 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

1. Roll-over alarm goes off at 20 mph on straight road. Dealership said it was a "short" in the system. 2. Both Vanity Mirror covers broke off allowing the light to stay on and drain battery. Dealership replaced with visors having cuts in the fabric. 3. Tail light assembly missing both attaching screws. 4. Eyelash (decorative trim at wheel area) pulling away from body. 5. Oil changed - but the oil indicator was not reset. Found out the oil indicator only tracks mileage and time - not actual oil life. Second Explorer - same visor problem. Paint failure. Technicians failed to reset oil indicator.

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.