Used 2007 Ford Explorer Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2007 Ford Explorer - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Explorer model:

V8 Lurching Transmission
By Stephen

2007 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV 4WD (4.6L 8cyl 6A)

I've owned a lot of Fords and this is the worst. The V8 with the 6 speed transmission lurches from 1st to 2nd gear and again when slowing it feels like you've been rear ended. Ford has issued a lot of TSBs and none can fix the problem. Dealer won't or can't do anything for you, and Ford is playing the deaf ear. Mines been in the shop 6 times, had a Ford engineer confirm the problem, and they still won't buy the darn thing back. I'm going the Lemon Law route to get them to take the lemon back. Too bad for Ford!

None at this time.

Stop using that transmission. Deal with the owners that have it. Or continue to lose hordes of customers.

Old-style power and reliability
By Polychrest

2007 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV 4WD (4.6L 8cyl 6A)

This iteration of the Explorer has been given a bad rap by the Consumer Reports mavens. It's a competent, comfortable, reliable ride with only one bad habit: it drinks too much. If you need serious hauling capacity, sweet highway manners, bad-weather & bad road capability, and aren't averse to a little interior luxury, this ride deserves a look. I've had it for almost a year, and it's been a pleasure from day one. It laughs at winter (and we've had a bad one so far).

The Mustang V8 and the 6-speed tranny. Power and pep, smoothly delivered. There's serious cargo capacity in this vehicle--biggest among all the competitors I checked out. The 4Runner was my 2nd choice, partly for this reason.

Gas mileage, obviously. And the fake wood trim....it doesn't do anything for me.

The Best SUV in the market
By ptyexplorer

2007 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Enjoy the driving of the car. I drive long distance, it is comfortable, excellent acceleration, handling is great. Drives similar to my Mercedes Benz. Great improvement from the previous model. Dashboard is elegant, and instrument panel are easy to read. Great features, such as suede, heated seats, memory seats and on-board computer.

Everything, several features from Volvo. Third-row seat is a plus. Great visibility. Solid vehicle. Elegant and impressive style. Excellent value. I feel safe when driving or riding the car.

Gas mileage is not that great, but it is an SUV. What do you expect!

Versatile family vehicle
By PT

2007 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Bought a 1 year old rental through a dealer - $20K less than new price. Alternatives considered were mini-vans (domestic and Japanese), other mid size Japanese SUVs. Though reputation was strong for Toyota, I found Highlander was very cheap feeling and felt I was doing better here. After 4 months with the vehicle, I am very happy with it. No problems, good fuel economy (highway) though nasty when driving only short distances in town with a cold engine. Traction and control in Canadian winter is amazing, easily able to take logging roads that left other vehicles stranded - with barely a reaction from the traction control system.

Winter driving drive comfort 2" receiver and 7 pin hookup 3rd row seat fits me fine (5' 10")

Highlander gets 50% better combined mileage with a smaller and more powerful engine (3.5 litre Lexus engine in the 2008). Ford could get some improvements there.

Great SUV
By Ford07EB

2007 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Picked up the Explorer in March of 07, so far it has been one of the best SUVs that I have owned. Taking it to Vegas twice getting about 22mpg. Feels and handles great. Acceleration from 0- 40 great no problems at all. I opted for the V-6 engine since I only drive on the highway and don't do any heavy towing. DVD Entertainment system was a must for my 2 year old daughter. Overall I am very happy with my Ford.

Exterior rims, two tone leater, DVD entertainment system, third row seat.

Gas mileage.