Used 2007 Ford Explorer SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2007 Ford Explorer - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Explorer model:

I don't think I got the right car?
By AngieB

2007 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4dr SUV 4WD (4.6L 8cyl 6A)

I owned an Explorer previously and it was great! Something went seriously wrong with this model. Since I have had it (9 months), I have had the e-brake handle break, the rear struts go out, the seat belt actually come apart, and my drivers seat control panel fall completly off. I didn't even have my car back a week from the mechanic and then this morning water came leaking through the buttons for the reading lights(and no I did not leave my sunroof open). The dealership said one of the drain tubes for the sunroof must have a problem and they would need if for at least three days. So if you cannot tell, no I would not recommend this vehicle, nor would I recomend any Ford prior to 2004.

Favorite Features

Exterior design, two-toned leater seats

Good truck
By chris

2007 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

We bought our 07 in 07 and have over 20k on the clock. It is an awesome road trip car and tows my 4k lb boat very well even with just the V6 (make sure to get 373 gears) we get 19-20 mpg in mixed driving. Bad weather is joke with the traction control and auto 4wd. I wish I had better mpg but it's a body on frame truck that ways 4000+ and has 373 gears, it's only going to do so well. All in all it does very well hauling, towing, and cruising, and I always enjoy driving it.

Favorite Features

Towing talent, 4wd, traction control, MP3 jack, dual piston front brakes, storage compartments in cargo area (under floor)

Suggested Improvements

Easier to remove oil and fuel filters, better mpg when not "working"

Best ever
By MGS 79

2007 Ford Explorer SUV Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV 4WD (4.6L 8cyl 6A)

This Explorer rocks! The most stable and quite vehicle that I have ever owned. I have the 4.6L V8 which has been at 19 mpg city/hwy combined. The only thing that I don't like is the 6 spd tranny. It makes the V8 lag. Should of put the 5 spd that comes with V6. Good quality interior parts. Smooth looking exterior for a truck. Explorer has 13K miles with no problems so far.

Favorite Features

Leather interior. V8. Quiet ride. Second and third row fold flat seating.

Suggested Improvements

Different transmission.

Check it out...you'll dig it
By dex2112

2007 Ford Explorer SUV Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV 4WD (4.6L 8cyl 6A)

I bought this Explorer almost a year ago and have zero problems. I am very happy with it thus far. The 4WD plows throw snow and mud. The traction control is also great in icey conditions. I love the safety features for the family. Everyone who rides along is confortable and satisfied to the fullest. First times usually cant find the exit handle, but I think its kinda funny. The V8 has plenty of power, but hay I could always use a little more. My one compaint is the amount of interior plastic. Come on, can't we spring for something a little more solid.

Favorite Features

4 wheel drive, safety features, exterior and interior design, size, powerful V8

Suggested Improvements

Gas mileage, interior plastic, could use some mud flaps

Lovin' my new car/truck
By brandi2596

2007 Ford Explorer SUV Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

We just purchased our 07' Explorer and we love it. I have done about 1 years worth of research and had narrowed it down to either the Honda Odyssey or the Explorer. We choose the Explorer because we are still very young and wasn't ready to go to the mini-van yet. This Explorer so far has been great, drives smoothly, no sounds, very stylish and lots of extra room which is very important to us with having 2 small children. If you are looking for a new ride with plenty of room for your family, and cargo storage this one is it. Gas mileage is also pretty good, we get around 22 mpg which isn 't bad considering that it is an SUV, although there is always room for improvement.

Favorite Features

Exterior styling, smooth ride, no inside cabin noise, plenty of storage rooms, Great layout of controls, and 4wd.

Suggested Improvements

My only complaints at the moment is that the Eddie Bauer should come standard with wheel mounted audio controls, and it should come standard with DVD. Since the EB edition is the top of the line Explorer...I think anyways.