Used 2007 Ford Explorer Consumer Reviews - 49 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2007 Ford Explorer - Consumer Reviews

2007 Ford Explorer

View reviews for a specific Explorer model:

Instruments somewhat hard to read
By Richard Hedman

2007 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

the steering wheel somewhat blocks the gas gauge; difficult to read the speedometer because of the way it's illuminated.
The cruise controls are awkward to set (located on left spoke of the steering wheel).

The 200K Explorer
By D G

2007 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Bought this vehicle new in 2007. I've had to do very few repairs and have had the oil changed every 5,000 miles. I took over changing oil at around 120,000 miles and started with synthetic oil. As of writing this review, I have just over 200K on this vehicle and did an oil change on it yesterday. All in all, this has been, and continues to be a very solid and reliable vehicle. The only repairs I have needed to do so far are replace the thermostat bypass hose, replace upper and lower thermostat housings, and replace the front and rear wheel bearings. I have had a coolant leak for some time now. I'm not sure where it is going, but I keep filling the overflow tank to keep a proper level in it. Yesterdays oil change was not normal though. The oil was congealed inside, therefore I figured out where the coolant is going. I would have expected the oil to get milky, but apparently the gold coolant that Ford uses does not do this, and normally the vehicle gets driven far enough every day to bring the engine up to proper operating temperatures. I pulled the oil pan off and cleaned out what I could. At this point, I will continue to run the vehicle until the engine gives up. I will switch to regular high mileage non-synthetic oil and increase the oil change frequencies to 3,000 miles. I will pull the oil pan off as needed to clean out the sump to keep the oil pump pick up screen clear.

I would say that if I had to do it over again, I would get the V8 and not the V6. The V8 would be easier to work on. The V6, although a great engine with more than enough torque, has a cam chain and chain driven oil pump on the back side of the engine that require the engine to be pulled to service them. I mention this because I also found a piece of chain tensioner in yesterdays oil change. Whether it is from a cam chain tensioner or the oil pump drive chain tensioner is unclear, but I'm sure I will find out soon enough.

This was also my first 4WD vehicle. The 4WD has only been needed a handful of times since purchased, but I try to exercise the system at least every six months to make sure everything still works. So far I've had no problems with either the 4WD system or the Stabilitrac Traction System in it.

Under the performance category, I gave road handling and transmission OK ratings. It's an SUV, so road handling is low on the list anyway, but it does a pretty good job. The transmission has always been a bit twitchy, but has not exhibited any of the failures of the earlier model sealed transmissions.

I gave the overall rating 5 stars. 8 years, 200,000 miles, and many miles of vacation memories. Hopefully, it will last a few more months, at which point I can start car shopping again.

The Dream Car
By memartin7

2007 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I love this 4th generation Explorer the most out of all of them. The interior and exterior is designed to my liking as well as the ride and handling. I was concerned the vehicle looks narrow, but it's very spacious and "wide-looking" once you get inside. The reliability is good until you reach a certain mileage range (100-120k) where a lot of age related repairs come to play. My only issues that are not typical is the LED radio display going out and the power running boards failing. But, after they are fixed, you are good to go another 100k miles. I would recommend this generation for someone in the market for a used car. Oh, and gas is better than expected. Don't be fooled by low mileage!

Power Running Boards - Power Sunroof - MP3 Capability - Single Overhead DVD Monitor - 2nd Row Captains Chairs w/ Console - 3rd Row Seat w/ Power Fold

(Interior) Better leather quality, as is seems to wear prematurely. And also better plastic over the doors, as they seem to fade more so than previous generations. It costed me around $300 to "recondition' my interior when it hit 7 years of age. (Mechanical) I wish they had switched to a regular transmission instead of sealed starting in 2006 rather than 2008. Also, it would have been nice if they had made a power lift-gate an option on this generation. (Options) I would have liked to seen more of the Reverse Sensing Systems (RSS) placed on the Eddie Bauer's, as it is less common to find vs. a top of the line XLT.

Worst vehicle ever!
By zerpantes

2007 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 6A)

I have a 2007 Explorer that I bought new in late 2006. It worked flawlessly until about september of last year. By then it started having transmission problems so severe that it has been out of the shop for only about a month in the last eight.

About two weeks ago I got it back and since then the battery died and now a white smoke is coming out of the engine, so I guess on Monday it will be back to the shop again.

The problems have been so severe that I haven't been able to repair a minor scratch to put it up for sale. It simply never works long enough between shop visits to repair the scratch!

This is my second Ford (after a 2007 Mustang) and I will never buy another again!!!

RELIABILITY!!!!!

Perfect for the small family
By Texan stuck in Pa

2007 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Second Explorer we have owned, first was a 2004 Explorer Police edition ( police engine, was retired from a small town P.D. fleet). Was so Impressed with first one, had to get a second one. This one isn't a police package, but I don't mind one bit. Perfect vehicle for my small family, has a plug in the back for my daughter (4 yrs old) to plug in her portable DVD player, plus the air vents she don't have to wait for the heat/air.Took 3 trips to Texas-Pa in the 04,(1735 miles one way) and was a great ride. This one is super smooth, rides great on highway, fuel mileage goes over 19 mpg longer we drive on highway, so might make it over 22 by Texas. lots of room in the back for all my wife's luggage.

Adjustable gas/brake pedals, air vents& power plug in back seat area, super smooth ride, sleek front and rear design, the rear cargo area has TONS of room. MPG go up longer you stay on highway with cruise control on. super quiet! Have to check RPM gauge at stop lights to make sure its even on

Improve the MPG a little more since it's such a big tank, maybe make the drink holders in front area a little deeper.