Used 2007 Ford Explorer SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2007 Ford Explorer - Consumer Reviews

2007 Ford Explorer SUV

View reviews for a specific Explorer model:

The Dream Car
By memartin7

2007 Ford Explorer SUV Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I love this 4th generation Explorer the most out of all of them. The interior and exterior is designed to my liking as well as the ride and handling. I was concerned the vehicle looks narrow, but it's very spacious and "wide-looking" once you get inside. The reliability is good until you reach a certain mileage range (100-120k) where a lot of age related repairs come to play. My only issues that are not typical is the LED radio display going out and the power running boards failing. But, after they are fixed, you are good to go another 100k miles. I would recommend this generation for someone in the market for a used car. Oh, and gas is better than expected. Don't be fooled by low mileage!

Favorite Features

Power Running Boards - Power Sunroof - MP3 Capability - Single Overhead DVD Monitor - 2nd Row Captains Chairs w/ Console - 3rd Row Seat w/ Power Fold

Suggested Improvements

(Interior) Better leather quality, as is seems to wear prematurely. And also better plastic over the doors, as they seem to fade more so than previous generations. It costed me around $300 to "recondition' my interior when it hit 7 years of age. (Mechanical) I wish they had switched to a regular transmission instead of sealed starting in 2006 rather than 2008. Also, it would have been nice if they had made a power lift-gate an option on this generation. (Options) I would have liked to seen more of the Reverse Sensing Systems (RSS) placed on the Eddie Bauer's, as it is less common to find vs. a top of the line XLT.

Worst vehicle ever!
By zerpantes

2007 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 6A)

I have a 2007 Explorer that I bought new in late 2006. It worked flawlessly until about september of last year. By then it started having transmission problems so severe that it has been out of the shop for only about a month in the last eight. About two weeks ago I got it back and since then the battery died and now a white smoke is coming out of the engine, so I guess on Monday it will be back to the shop again. The problems have been so severe that I haven't been able to repair a minor scratch to put it up for sale. It simply never works long enough between shop visits to repair the scratch! This is my second Ford (after a 2007 Mustang) and I will never buy another again!!!

Suggested Improvements

RELIABILITY!!!!!

Perfect for the small family
By Texan stuck in Pa

2007 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Second Explorer we have owned, first was a 2004 Explorer Police edition ( police engine, was retired from a small town P.D. fleet). Was so Impressed with first one, had to get a second one. This one isn't a police package, but I don't mind one bit. Perfect vehicle for my small family, has a plug in the back for my daughter (4 yrs old) to plug in her portable DVD player, plus the air vents she don't have to wait for the heat/air.Took 3 trips to Texas-Pa in the 04,(1735 miles one way) and was a great ride. This one is super smooth, rides great on highway, fuel mileage goes over 19 mpg longer we drive on highway, so might make it over 22 by Texas. lots of room in the back for all my wife's luggage.

Favorite Features

Adjustable gas/brake pedals, air vents& power plug in back seat area, super smooth ride, sleek front and rear design, the rear cargo area has TONS of room. MPG go up longer you stay on highway with cruise control on. super quiet! Have to check RPM gauge at stop lights to make sure its even on

Suggested Improvements

Improve the MPG a little more since it's such a big tank, maybe make the drink holders in front area a little deeper.

Very Nice Truck!
By NSGF

2007 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Owned this truck for almost a year now, and am overall very impressed. The ride is amazing for an SUV this size, the power for the v6 is decent, plenty of power for everyday driving or on the highway. The ride is very smooth even on cruise control at 80-85. The fuel economy for most people's driving habits is about 15 around town and 19-20 highway. If you drive fuel consciously, I am able to get 17 around town and 22 highway. Very roomy, third row can fit two grown adults with ease. Plenty of cargo space, great for towing, better than average stock sound system. Good looking truck inside and out. I highly recommend this truck!

Favorite Features

Keyless entry Smooth Ride Sound System Auxiliary input jack Very nice looking dash and gauges

Suggested Improvements

Better fuel economy USB input

I love this truck!
By builtfordtough78

2007 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Second Explorer I've owned and by far the better of the two. Had an 2004 v-8 SSV (special services vehicle) police package that we bought used. Loved the big police interceptor, but the 2007 V- 6 feels just as strong. love the power pedal adjuster ( so all the wife has to do is press the button and move the pedals instead of moving my seat and forgetting to put it back) love where they moved the 4wd buttons instead of where they were by the radio and I love the positioning of the gear shifter. Overall A+++ job Ford.

Favorite Features

Power pedal adjuster, new gear shifter, how quiet it is, even on the interstate

Suggested Improvements

a little better MPG would be nice. '04 SSV Police package got around 20 city/26 highway, but still I average 19 highway now and still climbing.