You guessed it.... radiator issues
By ddau on
2006 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)
Bought my 2006 XLT used in 2006 with 7K miles. Still have it and now have 87K. I replaced the radiator at 25K, 49K, and 69K. All were covered by factory or extended warranties. I live in CO and when I am up in the mountains going up hill with the car full of family, the transmission will literally shake the car when up shifting into 3rd or 4th gear. It's one of those problems you can't replicate for the dealership though. The driver's side stablizer link just broke and will be replacing this weekend. Outside of the radiator and stabilizer link, I have had no other problems with it.
Favorite Features
I like all of the safety features of the vehicle (traction control, rollover stability). XLT trim is ho-hum.
Suggested Improvements
The radiator is a joke and obviously I am not not the only one. When I saw one review about having it replaced 6 times, it made my car look fantastic. My extended warranty runs out at 108K miles, so you can plan on seeing my Explorer on Craiglist with 107K on the odometer. Unless I can get the extended warranty to pony up a new engine and transmission!