2006 Ford Explorer Consumer Review: The Achilles Heel of the 2006

2006 Ford Explorer - Consumer Review

Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV (4.0L V6 5-speed Automatic)

The Achilles Heel of the 2006 explorer (Radiator & Transmission)
By sr_engineer42 on

2006 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I purchased my 2006 explorer in 2007 with 19k miles... It looks sharp and performs very well in traffic and on the interstate. Has a sport car feel imo.. however, the radiator started to leak,, then stopped for some time (seems to leak more in the colder months, not at all in the summer months) this happed at about 100k miles. I have also replace both front (wheel hubs), and the CD player. you can purchase an aftermarket radiator on-line for about $125.. much cheaper than the ford one for about 500.. The other design flaw is the Transmission.. I noticed that now 3rd gear was very shaky.. in the shift... hense the tranny is going .. .. at that point I traded the Ford for a GMC.

tight handling, good accelleration and control on the interstate.. can get 25 MPG if you keep it under 65.. interior is stylish and sharp..

FORD should improve and recall the radiators, and beef up the tranny.. no excuse for these problems.. none! The CD 6 player,,, will also fail... CDs will get stuck and the unit will have to be replaced..