2006 Ford Explorer Consumer Review: OMG - And I thought that it wa

2006 Ford Explorer - Consumer Review

XLS 4dr SUV (4.0L V6 4x4 5-speed Automatic)

OMG - And I thought that it was just me
By Christina on

2006 Ford Explorer XLS 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I purchased my 06 Ford Explorer brand new off of the lot in Sept 06. Around 38K miles I had a radiator leak. I called Ford corporate and to no avail they would not negotiate with me on the radiator since it was out of the 30K warranty. Several months later while attempting to get out of my driveway, the gearshift was stuck in park. After an hour I was able to get it, but after that the transmission would shift horribly from Park into reverse. I took it to the dealer and told them that it had to be because of the sticking gearshift (that was recalled) only to be told that that transmission needed to be partially replaced. I'm at 68K miles and I refuse to replace the transmission on a 3.5 year old car.

This is my second Ford truck that has had problems early on in its life. Instead of the dealer telling me to "come in and trade it" please just fix the car correctly the first time! I have two fam members who are Ford employees and so I try to stay true to their profession, but ENOUGH ALREADY!