Gas mileage
By Chris on
2006 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV 4WD (4.6L 8cyl 6A)
I have put 6000 miles on my 06 XLT V-8 4WD. I will start with the statement "It is the quietest vehicle I have ever driven." Inside the cab, it is virtually silent. I can't even hear the rumble of the V-8, or the hum of the highway. Sometimes you have to check the tach to see if it's running at a stoplight. The interior is great, except the shifter on the console versus the column, and the wiper/headlight all-in-one stalk. The only performance complaint I have is gas mileage. I am getting 9-11 mpg in city and 12-13 mpg on the freeway. I think there may be something wrong, but the engine sounds great. Overall I highly recommend, if only the gas mileage was better.
Favorite Features
No road noise, stylish interior, very easy third row operation, great audiophile sound system, good handling, plenty of rear space with third row down. Rear windows roll all the way down (it's the little things).
Suggested Improvements
Gas mileage is horrible, controls could be better, shifter blocks access to drink holders, no rear drink holders for middle row, only 6 holders in the whole truck, unless you count front doors. A family SUV should have double that like the Volvo.