Built to last
By Rick on
2006 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV 4WD (4.6L 8cyl 6A)
I bought my truck new in 2006, needing a 4wd family vehicle (traded my '94 Cobra for it). The only problem I've had is my manual lumbar support breaking twice. The transmission problem everyone is talking about is solved with a simple trip to the dealer to get the transmission reprogrammed. Problem fixed!!! It gets about 14.5 mpg in the city and 21.9 on the hwy at hwy speeds. if you drive aggressively though, expect it to be worse. We've driven across the country and it's very comprortable for me and my family. The V8 is powerful enough to haul a trailer and get into traffic with ease, and sits at 2k rpm on the hwy. Have a light foot in the city and get respective mpg there too.
Favorite Features
Foldable 2/3 row seats (leave headrests down for better visability). powerful engine. could use an after market mp3 player input jack though (offered on 07 models). Good highway mpg for a V8 SUV. Good accelleration. Quiet inside the vehicle on the highway. Quiet engine noise
Suggested Improvements
Aside from the lumbar support, not much to complain about. City driving with a heavy SUV is going to yield lower mpg, but that's what you get with a V8. Maybe add a cylinder management/shut off system for hwy use to get better hwy mpg.