2006 Ford Explorer SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Explorer model:
Good, but could be better
By lagonzal on 06/10/08 13:00 PM (PDT)

2006 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I bought it used with 59963 miles on the odo for $16500. No problems so far. Replaces an 07 4Runner which was totalled in a crash. I didn't feel like spending another 30 grand on a 4Runner so I went with the cheaper Ford. This is my weekend vehicle. Mon thru Fri I use my much more economical Camry. Didn't realize it was a 4x4 til I took it home and saw the buttons on the dash, neither did the salesman, oh well. Overall, a decent family vehicle which fits nicely in my garage, but the 4Runner was lighter and got better gas mileage and overall felt a tad more refined.

Nice Style - Poor Quality
By Bill on 04/24/08 10:48 AM (PDT)

2006 Ford Explorer SUV Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV 4WD (4.6L 8cyl 6A)

Get the V-8. I get 20 mpg on a trip at 65. Nice looking truck but poor Ford quality - I've had it 4 mos with 2 major breakdowns. No problems with the transmission. The dealer was great and I'm glad I got the extended warranty. The 18' chrome rims look great. I've previously had Pilots - not as nice looking but far more reliable. I am impressed with the ride and how quiet it is at highway speeds.

Explorer XLT 06 diappointment
By Ford Explorer XLT on 03/17/08 10:07 AM (PDT)

2006 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I loved my Explorer at first. The drive is nice & smooth. I am 5' 2" and the driver's seat was an excellent fit for me one of the reasons I bought it. The color was a great match to the inside interior color. Do not like where the front hood release hard to see the lever and the parking brake the same way. Since I bought it I have had it towed back to dealer and in the dealership at least 7 times (bought Oct.06)

All around bad S.U.V.
By Jake on 03/10/08 02:23 AM (PDT)

2006 Ford Explorer SUV XLS 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I use this SUV at work and it just plain sucks. My car has more horsepower and it has been in the shop 3 times in little over a year. 1st issue was the tire sensor error would not clear. Next was the rear windshield wiper had a mind of its own. Then the CV joints went out ohh and even after 3 separate attempts by Ford the tire pressure error still wont go away.

Best SUV
By uglyflamm on 03/09/08 03:41 AM (PDT)

2006 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I bought this SUV for the wife, she never gets to drive it. I love this thing. I drive the heck out of it, it already almost have 50,000 miles. We live in Germany everyone told me not to buy a Ford because the engines can't take it. I drive it over 100 mph almost everyday the engine has held on great have had no problems at all not even a leak the engine still looks like the day I picked it up at the port. I get an oil change almost every other month. The only issue is a speaker in the passenger side rear door blew a few months ago. Other than that everythings great! Plenty of room and comfortable. If the computer is right I get about 17.8 mpg.

Ford needs to Wake up!
By DickandJane on 03/07/08 19:37 PM (PST)

2006 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

This is the worst Ford I have ever owned. 27000 miles and numerous problems. The radiator is leaking and they will now have to replace it. The chrome grill is bubbling, and Ford dealer says its not covered on warranty. (HMMM! Defective part not covered) There was an obnoxious vibration (Rattle) in the steering wheel. The dealer said there was an advisory out on that. They must replace the lower steering rod. The other things I dislike: The gas mileage sucks. I should have kept my 2005 v8 4wd F150. My F150 got about the same MPG and had way more power than this hunk of crap. There is no heated mirrors! Every car has them now. No XM radio. Get with the times already. All in all don't buy a Ford

Last Explorer for me
By Aaron on 02/29/08 19:48 PM (PST)

2006 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

This is the fourth Ford Explorer we have owned. It is by far the worst!!! Extremely poor fuel economy. 7-9mpg in winter, and maybe 13mpg in the summer. Dealership, cant seem to figure the problem out, and isn't fixed yet. Also, don't ever get rear ended, because there isn't much of a bumper. Its all plastic. I don't like the RSC system either. I don't like the fact you cant over-ride the system when needed. It leaves you completely handi-capped in the deep snow. The vehicle is a little sluggish on the take off.

Decent Vehicle - Lousy Interior
By Thomas Judge on 02/19/08 17:48 PM (PST)

2006 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

This was our 8th consecutive Ford vehicle, and will probably be our last. Overall, this SUV had the potential to be a great vehicle, but an awful interior design and numerous quality issues ruined it. The 4.0L engine and 5-speed trans are terrific. Body style, ride, handling, etc. all very good. Excellent for moderate towing - we towed a boat and dual snowmobile trailer. The interior is awful. Poor hiproom, inaccessible parking brake release, stupid/awkward door pulls. Experienced following failures: broken lumabar mechanism, 4wd motor failed, PB release failed, engine failed to start, shift lever locked in park. Ford botched an otherwise decent vehicle.

Change of Heart
By Mini Van Mom on 02/18/08 17:33 PM (PST)

2006 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I had been shopping around for my long awaited chance to trade our tired mini van. The 2006 Ford Explorer was too nice to pass up. Just after a few months, it has to go. Even with our NE Winters - it is just too much truck for me. I keep reading about the transmission - does that explain why is has rolled on my 3 times! When I park this big truck, it needs to stay in the same place. And yes, the mileage is the pits.

Great truck, very solid
By ryan r on 02/13/08 15:49 PM (PST)

2006 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I am a route salesman and I drive at least 28,000 miles a year.. I bought my Explorer in 2006 with 28k on it and just rolled over to 89k. The only problem I had was the back window stopped working but was fixed under warranty. I have driven through the Rockies in the snow, North Dakota, through mud, -30 temperatures and this Explorer has always got me home. Nealy 90k and perfect. My last Explorer in 98 gave me 260k. Just keep it serviced.

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.