Used 2006 Ford Explorer SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Ford Explorer - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Explorer model:

2006 Explorer Issues
By DeJarnette23

2006 Ford Explorer SUV Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I bought this Explorer in 12/08 with only 20k miles and it was in pristine shape inside & out. Around 30k miles, I noticed that it would occasionally shift hard into reverse and finally took it in a month ago at 40k miles after reading many of these posts. Needless to say they had to rebuild the tranny, luckily it was under the drivetrain warranty. At 35k miles I replaced the radiator, which appears to be another huge issue with this model. As soon as the warranty is up, this thing is destined for sale or trade.

Favorite Features

Interior, navigation, 3rd row, decent gas mileage, smooth ride

Suggested Improvements

Reliability (Transmission & Radiator) so far

Transmission issues- BAD!
By DawnLowery

2006 Ford Explorer SUV Limited 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I have had plenty of Explorers but my 2006 limited was final purchase for awhile and the plan was to "drive it till the wheels fall off," I am not a heavy driver. My commute to work is about 20 miles total. I took the Explorer in for service after the second year of owning it. I was told I had "cracked hoses" and that was why my fluids leaked. I mentioned all the complaints that I saw on the internet with radiators, the ford garage did not know of any "problems." They fixed it and then the next summer it was leaking again. I was told that was "normal" in the summer and was talked out of making an appointment. Just after 36,000 miles I was then told my radiator was shot.

Suggested Improvements

Ford should have recalled the radiators!

Radiator Problems
By Rod

2006 Ford Explorer SUV Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

You will have radiator problems with this vehicle and all repair shops know this is a common problem. I thought I had transmission problems but discovered my radiator was empty and the fail safe mode caused shifting and engine performance changes as designed. This could be a nice car but Ford needs to recall the transmission, they are aware of numerous complaints with tranny and radiator problems.

Favorite Features

Looks

Suggested Improvements

Radiator and transmission issues.

Recall the Radiators!
By arichmond

2006 Ford Explorer SUV Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Purchased this car w/12k miles, @ 36,900 miles the radiator & thermostat went out only 900 miles over warranty the dealership declined to cover the repairs. @ 38k the radiator and thermostat went out again! Took it back to the dealership & once again they would not negotiate the manufacturer warranty because it was a few hundred miles over. Took it to another repair shop got it fixed AGAIN so about 5 grand later of repairs 3 thermostats 3 radiators later I hate my Ford and will never buy again. I think its a heap of crap that an american company will not supply a better warranty for us or at least give a little wiggle room on the warranty's.

Suggested Improvements

RECALL the RADIATORS and THERMOSTATS!

No More Fords
By Jim

2006 Ford Explorer SUV Limited 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 6A)

Here is the issue..bought new 2006 Ford Explorer; thought I'd buy American; big big mistake; numerous mechanical problems latest is the transmission. (Numerous problems with Radiator has leak-could be another $1,000.) Dealer advises could be low of $1,700- $3,000. to repair/replace. Many Internet sites from buyers suggest this is a manufacturing defect; some suggest the updated operating software could have helped; both for the trans and the radiator. SUV has only 29,000 miles on it; check the internet 100's of problems with the transmission. Ford consumer services really doesn't care. I will never buy a Ford product again. I am shopping foreign SUVs now.

Favorite Features

Thought Ford had arrived on the world market, unfortunately same old crap.

Suggested Improvements

Get the manufacturing right! and when there is a defect (when you get 100's (if not 1000's) of complaints; take the issue and make it right. Transmissions should not go out at 28,000 miles; same for the radiator. Make a product that you and the buyer can be proud of or at a minimum use.