Used 2006 Ford Explorer SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Ford Explorer - Consumer Reviews

2006 Ford Explorer SUV

View reviews for a specific Explorer model:

Graetly Disappointed in FORD
By RYTYJAY

2006 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I purchased the truck brand new, I brought the truck in for Recall (shift Plate) very difficult to shift, I told them I was having a hard shift jolt when putting it in reverse like being rearended. They told me they couldn't find the problem, they put in a new PCM. (new computer) after the new PCM they stated there still was no answers for the transmission problem. I asked if it had anything to do with the recall they said no! I didn't understand how they could say that if they didn't know what the problem was? anyway they asked if they could pull the transmission for $600 and then they would call me and let me know what damage needed to be repaired. I declined to pay $600 for a diagnostic.

Suggested Improvements

If you see a pattern do the recall! Take responsibility. You have no problem taking our money!

Air Explorer
By Wolf's Den

2006 Ford Explorer SUV Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I brought this vehicle used and I must say im very happy. No problems yet and praying that I don't. Brought it with a 36K service contract and have been driving it like a jet. 80 mph on the highway. GREAT TRUCK!

Favorite Features

Nav, smooth leather seats.

Suggested Improvements

windshield glare at times. but you will get used to it.

Radiator broke again
By Adam

2006 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I bought the explorer with about 17,000 miles 3 years ago. At approximately 34,000 miles the radiator sprung a leak. While the dealer was fixing the leak they broke 2 instrument clusters. Just this week the radiator started leaking again. The dealership stated it would be at least $1,000.00 to fix it. After complaining to the dealership they said they will help with some of the costs. Ford needs to step up and do something about this radiator problem. I am a huge Ford fan and I have owned numerous ford vehicles, but this is the most disappointed I have been with a Ford vehicle.

Junk!
By sjoyl61

2006 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 6A)

Purchased Explorer new, started having trouble at 415 miles. 1. shifter wouldn't move. 2. jerks when stopping, feels like someone hit the back end. 3. shifts hard 4. cruise stuck 5. replaced radiator. 6. FORD WILL NOT FIX OR BACK THEIR PRODUCT! Dealership claims Ford Motor Co. said not to try and fix it. Have purchased Fords for 30 years, will never buy another. Can't even get rid of this overpriced piece of junk.

Suggested Improvements

Recall the transmission and radiator

Legit Ride
By Hunter

2006 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Great all around car. Have a few complaints about the fuel economy, but it's a SUV so what do you expect. Not too many problems, only a few weird sounds here and there. I'm a 16 year old guy and it gets me and my friends here, there and then some. I love the room it has, and the stock sound system. The performance is great for big SUV with a V6. Looks great too. Everyone that rides in it loves it, and I do too. Great buy. Consider this instead of a car.

Favorite Features

Sound system, room, functionality, styling.

Suggested Improvements

Fuel economy, get rid of the green speedometer lighting.