2006 Ford Explorer SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Explorer model:
Waste of money
By afk on 01/23/09 10:53 AM (PST)

2006 Ford Explorer SUV Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV 4WD (4.6L 8cyl 6A)

I think this vehicle sums up why Amrican auto industry is going down. I have 2008 BMW 335i convertible. I bought this Explorer for cold/snowy winter days. What a mistake! Interior is nothing but dollar store hard plastic which starts peeling after a while. Handling is a nigthmare. Original tires are a joke. This type of handling from $38000 vehicle is unacceptable. After I replaced the tires with Michelins and added 1 inch wheel spacers to front and rear, handling got little better. But nothing drives me more crazy than the wind noise at highway speeds. Once you are over 70mph, it is impossible to have normal conversation. New tires eliminated the road noise but wind noise is redicilious

Great family vehicle!
By Papa on 01/05/09 17:49 PM (PST)

2006 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I bought this truck at just under 19,000 miles in April 2008. We had upgraded from a Toyota Corolla because our family was growing. We love everything about this truck! It's stylish, roomy (7 passengers), handles extremely well (Overdrive kicks in great when needed). Everyone has nothing but good things to say about it. It's perfect for my family of 5 with lots of room for baby's XL stroller and the kids' bags. I hope the next few years are good to me since this is my first major vehicle purchase. So far so good!

A great vehicle for what it is
By Jim C on 01/04/09 09:04 AM (PST)

2006 Ford Explorer SUV Limited 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I sought out this vehicle mainly because reading about all of the problems with the V8/6spd auto combo problems. I bought this for my wife and I drive a BMW 3-series. If you need a utility that is a little of everything, this is your vehicle. I read reviews criticizing this vehicle because it is no hot rod. It is a box on wheels! The acceleration with the V6 is more than adequate, unless you are towing (which will do not). The limited trim as all the goodies and a ton of cargo space. The main reason we bought this vehicle is that it has adjustable pedals, adjustable seat belts, a tilt wheel and power seat, which is wonderful for my wife who is 5 feet tall. This vehicle is terrific!

So Far So Good
By Rokgod1 on 12/18/08 08:23 AM (PST)

2006 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4dr SUV 4WD (4.6L 8cyl 6A)

Had issues right after I drove it off the lot, but the dealer fixed everything. No problems since, other than a rear window not operating. That's minor to me. I can't believe a closeable outside air vent is an upgrade on a $35k + vehicle. Didn't know that nugget until after I bought the car. I have asthma and love other cars' exhaust and pollen streaming into the car at all times. As a result of outside air at all times, the defroster, heating, and AC take more time to get up/down to temperature. Front defrosters are horrible. External audio/video inputs in the ceiling mount DVD is annoying, especially with cables dangling.

Why am I driving a Ford?
By T in Miami on 10/05/08 20:27 PM (PDT)

2006 Ford Explorer SUV Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Honeymoon period was over too quickly. Although I love driving it--great pick- up at start up and highway--the problems soon began. Electrical malfunctions: Windows, power seats get stuck when adjusting, a/c sometimes dose not turn on, etc. But the worst-- the transmission. The transmission rises to 2 revolutions and revs there all by itself. It gets stuck in 2nd, and I often (more often lately)have to pull over. Car also turned off (at 25 mph) while driving and all functions were stuck--very scarey when steering and brakes don't work! Technicians finally reparied after three weeks-- say it can happen with any car. I don't buy that.

Hate the 2006 Explorer
By Connie on 09/29/08 10:35 AM (PDT)

2006 Ford Explorer SUV Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I bought a used 2006 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer in March 2008. I have had it at the dealership five times. I've had the shifter replaced and the whole fan assembly for the heat and air. I have had an ongoing problem with a loud noise coming from under the dash when I first take off. Overheard the mechanic telling the service guy that its a vacuum problem and its because of the design. Now it won't start, the road slippery light comes on and stays on even when driving on dry pavement. It also shifts hard and jerks when taking off. This is my third Explorer. I will NEVER buy one again.

Handsome SUV
By Roddy on 09/22/08 12:39 PM (PDT)

2006 Ford Explorer SUV Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I bought my Explorer with 18K miles on it. It is 4x4, Eddie Bauer edition and the v-6. I was sold on it the minute I sat in it. Great interior, very comfortable and well laid out. I'm not crazy about the speedometer and tach layout. They sometimes seem to be in a hole, but a minor issue. It rides and drives great and will get 21 mpg or so on the highway. City is about 16. Great factory stereo, great A/C, rides like a Lincoln.

Very Good Explorer
By Ben on 07/01/08 06:57 AM (PDT)

2006 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Purchased from a dealership last year, and so far no problems, other than a tire sensor indication. This SUV drives like a dream. No sudden jerking as far as acceleration; very smooth ride. I like the fact that it's equipped with a 5-speed automatic transmission, and a middle console transmission gear shift, a very first for the explorer family. Gas mileage is really good for a normal SUV's; I drove up to 25 mpg with a 65- 70 mph speed. Very nice interior! A/C system is really good front and back. Has great exterior lighting, especially the front headlights and fog lights. Definintely recommend the explorer to anyone who desires a SUV. As long as you treat it well, it'll drive well.

I give!
By Daisee86 on 06/30/08 18:16 PM (PDT)

2006 Ford Explorer SUV Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

So sad. I dreamed of this car for 7 years while I drove beat up car waiting to afford this one. Now I have had every trouble listed on all the complaint websites - back driver window won't roll down (fixed 3 times), stick shift stuck (had to be replaced), radiator leaking (has to be replaced), Transmission problem (not yet diagnosed). At least it is all covered under warranty but what a pain to have to keep taking it in. I am so upside down, I can't trade it. I am likley never to buy a Ford again and I have driven them all my life. No more.

Built to last
By Rick on 06/25/08 15:17 PM (PDT)

2006 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4dr SUV 4WD (4.6L 8cyl 6A)

I bought my truck new in 2006, needing a 4wd family vehicle (traded my '94 Cobra for it). The only problem I've had is my manual lumbar support breaking twice. The transmission problem everyone is talking about is solved with a simple trip to the dealer to get the transmission reprogrammed. Problem fixed!!! It gets about 14.5 mpg in the city and 21.9 on the hwy at hwy speeds. if you drive aggressively though, expect it to be worse. We've driven across the country and it's very comprortable for me and my family. The V8 is powerful enough to haul a trailer and get into traffic with ease, and sits at 2k rpm on the hwy. Have a light foot in the city and get respective mpg there too.

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.