2006 Ford Explorer XLS Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Ford Explorer - Consumer Reviews

2006 Explorer Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Explorer model:

Sort Reviews by

Won't buy another Ford
By B

2006 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

We are a Ford family...have 4 of them. My next vehicle will not be a Ford. I have had nothing but one problem after another with my Explorer from day one it seems. Blinkers and tail lights have gone out repeatedly and had to be replaced, dealership would have done it at no charge if I wanted to leave it all day to have a bulb replaced. Gear shift locks up, take it in and they aren't sure how to fix it even though it's a known issue with Explorers. Now my radiator is leaking. Glad it's under warranty, thinking I ought to just trade it in before that changes or it will cost me a fortune.

Favorite Features

Looks nice, roomy enough for what we've needed.

Suggested Improvements

Go over it with a fine tooth comb and fix all the kinks. Why can't you fix a known issue unless it happens while the mechanic is looking at it right at that time? If it's known to be sporadic then what are the odds of it happening right then? Figure out the issue and be able to fix it on all.

Waste of money
By afk

2006 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV 4WD (4.6L 8cyl 6A)

I think this vehicle sums up why Amrican auto industry is going down. I have 2008 BMW 335i convertible. I bought this Explorer for cold/snowy winter days. What a mistake! Interior is nothing but dollar store hard plastic which starts peeling after a while. Handling is a nigthmare. Original tires are a joke. This type of handling from $38000 vehicle is unacceptable. After I replaced the tires with Michelins and added 1 inch wheel spacers to front and rear, handling got little better. But nothing drives me more crazy than the wind noise at highway speeds. Once you are over 70mph, it is impossible to have normal conversation. New tires eliminated the road noise but wind noise is redicilious

Favorite Features

Cargo space

Suggested Improvements

Road noise, wind noise, better tires, better handling, better breaking, more power. I have v8 and can't imagine driving v6. I recently drove Honda Pilot and the difference is day and nite. Don't waste your money on this vehicle, buy Pilot. Pilot has much better resale value.

Great family vehicle!
By Papa

2006 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I bought this truck at just under 19,000 miles in April 2008. We had upgraded from a Toyota Corolla because our family was growing. We love everything about this truck! It's stylish, roomy (7 passengers), handles extremely well (Overdrive kicks in great when needed). Everyone has nothing but good things to say about it. It's perfect for my family of 5 with lots of room for baby's XL stroller and the kids' bags. I hope the next few years are good to me since this is my first major vehicle purchase. So far so good!

Favorite Features

Rugged, powerful, reliable, comfortable, looks great. DVD system, awesome speakers.

Suggested Improvements

Handle on interior of door takes getting used to. Should be higher up.

A great vehicle for what it is
By Jim C

2006 Ford Explorer Limited 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I sought out this vehicle mainly because reading about all of the problems with the V8/6spd auto combo problems. I bought this for my wife and I drive a BMW 3-series. If you need a utility that is a little of everything, this is your vehicle. I read reviews criticizing this vehicle because it is no hot rod. It is a box on wheels! The acceleration with the V6 is more than adequate, unless you are towing (which will do not). The limited trim as all the goodies and a ton of cargo space. The main reason we bought this vehicle is that it has adjustable pedals, adjustable seat belts, a tilt wheel and power seat, which is wonderful for my wife who is 5 feet tall. This vehicle is terrific!

Favorite Features

Great vehicle for those who are vertically challenged, tons of ajustability. 5 star safety, RSC give piece of mind. Perfect size not to be overwhelming to drive but have space to transport items. Good looking but not showy, very easy to use interior controls, can get fixed anywhere, if needed.

Suggested Improvements

Get rid of the chrome wheels, I am not a rap star and do not need to look like a rap star. Interior door handles are awkward, but I know their placement was due to crash safety changes. Too many hard plastics in interior (doors, console, glove compartment). Would like tilting rear seats.

So Far So Good
By Rokgod1

2006 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV 4WD (4.6L 8cyl 6A)

Had issues right after I drove it off the lot, but the dealer fixed everything. No problems since, other than a rear window not operating. That's minor to me. I can't believe a closeable outside air vent is an upgrade on a $35k + vehicle. Didn't know that nugget until after I bought the car. I have asthma and love other cars' exhaust and pollen streaming into the car at all times. As a result of outside air at all times, the defroster, heating, and AC take more time to get up/down to temperature. Front defrosters are horrible. External audio/video inputs in the ceiling mount DVD is annoying, especially with cables dangling.

Favorite Features

Comfortable seats, plenty of cargo room, nice stereo system, rear window opens for cargo, etc., ability to listen to steeo during DVD play, wireless headphones, abilty to go out with 2 other couples in one car!

Suggested Improvements

Low fuel indicator comes on at 50 miles to go and keeps coming on every 2-5 miles thereafter. Annoying, especially since it overrides the other displays. It should stop once you scroll past it. Add closeable air vents to all HVAC systems! Move center seat cup holders- I bang into drinks often.

Why am I driving a Ford?
By T in Miami

2006 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Honeymoon period was over too quickly. Although I love driving it--great pick- up at start up and highway--the problems soon began. Electrical malfunctions: Windows, power seats get stuck when adjusting, a/c sometimes dose not turn on, etc. But the worst-- the transmission. The transmission rises to 2 revolutions and revs there all by itself. It gets stuck in 2nd, and I often (more often lately)have to pull over. Car also turned off (at 25 mph) while driving and all functions were stuck--very scarey when steering and brakes don't work! Technicians finally reparied after three weeks-- say it can happen with any car. I don't buy that.

Favorite Features

Pretty to look at, nice to drive, auto lights, spacious.

Suggested Improvements

Third row too tight, interior door handles chip easily, transmission chronically ill.

Hate the 2006 Explorer
By Connie

2006 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I bought a used 2006 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer in March 2008. I have had it at the dealership five times. I've had the shifter replaced and the whole fan assembly for the heat and air. I have had an ongoing problem with a loud noise coming from under the dash when I first take off. Overheard the mechanic telling the service guy that its a vacuum problem and its because of the design. Now it won't start, the road slippery light comes on and stays on even when driving on dry pavement. It also shifts hard and jerks when taking off. This is my third Explorer. I will NEVER buy one again.

Favorite Features

Interior is nice

Suggested Improvements

Recall all these vehicles or fix the problem.

Handsome SUV
By Roddy

2006 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I bought my Explorer with 18K miles on it. It is 4x4, Eddie Bauer edition and the v-6. I was sold on it the minute I sat in it. Great interior, very comfortable and well laid out. I'm not crazy about the speedometer and tach layout. They sometimes seem to be in a hole, but a minor issue. It rides and drives great and will get 21 mpg or so on the highway. City is about 16. Great factory stereo, great A/C, rides like a Lincoln.

Favorite Features

Keyless entry on the driver side door is very handy; rear a/c vents; 4-wheel discs, antilock; anti-skid, leather interior, great color combination; Lights under the mirrors on the doors; heavy thunk when shutting the doors means it is built well.

Suggested Improvements

Very few because it is overall a great vehicle; however, I would redesign the interior arm rests and the layout of the gauges. The center stack with the stereo and A/C controls is nice as is.

Very Good Explorer
By Ben

2006 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Purchased from a dealership last year, and so far no problems, other than a tire sensor indication. This SUV drives like a dream. No sudden jerking as far as acceleration; very smooth ride. I like the fact that it's equipped with a 5-speed automatic transmission, and a middle console transmission gear shift, a very first for the explorer family. Gas mileage is really good for a normal SUV's; I drove up to 25 mpg with a 65- 70 mph speed. Very nice interior! A/C system is really good front and back. Has great exterior lighting, especially the front headlights and fog lights. Definintely recommend the explorer to anyone who desires a SUV. As long as you treat it well, it'll drive well.

Favorite Features

5-speed transmission, V6 4.0L engine, very good suspension, nice indication system (all digital instead of analog), nice looking interior, outstanding turning radius.

Suggested Improvements

Make running boards standard. Tire sensors need improvement or not have them equipped at all.

I give!
By Daisee86

2006 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

So sad. I dreamed of this car for 7 years while I drove beat up car waiting to afford this one. Now I have had every trouble listed on all the complaint websites - back driver window won't roll down (fixed 3 times), stick shift stuck (had to be replaced), radiator leaking (has to be replaced), Transmission problem (not yet diagnosed). At least it is all covered under warranty but what a pain to have to keep taking it in. I am so upside down, I can't trade it. I am likley never to buy a Ford again and I have driven them all my life. No more.

Favorite Features

Drives smooth - when it does actually drive.

Suggested Improvements

Everything!