Used 2006 Ford Explorer Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Ford Explorer - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Explorer model:

OMG - And I thought that it was just me
By Christina

2006 Ford Explorer XLS 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I purchased my 06 Ford Explorer brand new off of the lot in Sept 06. Around 38K miles I had a radiator leak. I called Ford corporate and to no avail they would not negotiate with me on the radiator since it was out of the 30K warranty. Several months later while attempting to get out of my driveway, the gearshift was stuck in park. After an hour I was able to get it, but after that the transmission would shift horribly from Park into reverse. I took it to the dealer and told them that it had to be because of the sticking gearshift (that was recalled) only to be told that that transmission needed to be partially replaced. I'm at 68K miles and I refuse to replace the transmission on a 3.5 year old car.

This is my second Ford truck that has had problems early on in its life. Instead of the dealer telling me to "come in and trade it" please just fix the car correctly the first time! I have two fam members who are Ford employees and so I try to stay true to their profession, but ENOUGH ALREADY!

Graetly Disappointed in FORD
By RYTYJAY

2006 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I purchased the truck brand new, I brought the truck in for Recall (shift Plate) very difficult to shift, I told them I was having a hard shift jolt when putting it in reverse like being rearended. They told me they couldn't find the problem, they put in a new PCM. (new computer) after the new PCM they stated there still was no answers for the transmission problem. I asked if it had anything to do with the recall they said no! I didn't understand how they could say that if they didn't know what the problem was? anyway they asked if they could pull the transmission for $600 and then they would call me and let me know what damage needed to be repaired. I declined to pay $600 for a diagnostic.

If you see a pattern do the recall! Take responsibility. You have no problem taking our money!

Air Explorer
By Wolf's Den

2006 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I brought this vehicle used and I must say im very happy. No problems yet and praying that I don't. Brought it with a 36K service contract and have been driving it like a jet. 80 mph on the highway. GREAT TRUCK!

Nav, smooth leather seats.

windshield glare at times. but you will get used to it.

Radiator broke again
By Adam

2006 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I bought the explorer with about 17,000 miles 3 years ago. At approximately 34,000 miles the radiator sprung a leak. While the dealer was fixing the leak they broke 2 instrument clusters. Just this week the radiator started leaking again. The dealership stated it would be at least $1,000.00 to fix it. After complaining to the dealership they said they will help with some of the costs. Ford needs to step up and do something about this radiator problem. I am a huge Ford fan and I have owned numerous ford vehicles, but this is the most disappointed I have been with a Ford vehicle.

Junk!
By sjoyl61

2006 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 6A)

Purchased Explorer new, started having trouble at 415 miles. 1. shifter wouldn't move. 2. jerks when stopping, feels like someone hit the back end. 3. shifts hard 4. cruise stuck 5. replaced radiator. 6. FORD WILL NOT FIX OR BACK THEIR PRODUCT! Dealership claims Ford Motor Co. said not to try and fix it. Have purchased Fords for 30 years, will never buy another. Can't even get rid of this overpriced piece of junk.

Recall the transmission and radiator