Used 2006 Ford Explorer Consumer Reviews - 182 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Ford Explorer - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Explorer model:

Not radiator, check your head gasket
By Tanner

2006 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I went through 5 radiators before I figured out I had a blown head gasket. Now, my block is warped which happens to all 06-07 4.0's when they overheat.

Recall the Radiator!
By Sukijoe

2006 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I bought my Explorer with 18000mi. in Feb of 09'. Thought I was in heaven till the engine started making a hideous noise, pulled off highway, dash went red and car shut off! Has 42,212 miles, Ford will not make good on this. Again, they say they've never heard of this! I think it's time for the Attorney General's office to step in. No warning of this! They tell me it's a maintenance issue. I also have a 96' Explorer with 257000 miles that my son is now driving! I seem to have maintained that without a problem! Been driving Ford for 26 years! How 'bout something for loyalty? Anything but this. There is a $5,680 price tag on a new engine and radiator. Really Ford? Quality is not job one.

I could go anywhere in this! (when it was running)

Recall the radiator and check the warning system so that we don't have to replace an engine on a low mileage car and you blame us for the issue and pretend you never heard of it. This is laughable.

Bad Radiator
By Mike S.

2006 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

2006 Ford Explorer From what i am reading it looks like our 2006 explorers are having radiator problems. I got the truck new in 2006 and in less then 1 year had to have the radiator replaced. the 2nd radiator is starting to give me problems now at about 40k miles. i notice my recovery tank getting low on coolant. I don't see any leaks but i can smell it. I took it to the dealer for a pressure test but they say they can't find a problem. Over all i don't have any other problems so far with the truck. I was at a Lowe's store and i parked my explorer next to another explorer. I asked the owner if his was a 2006 and if he had any problems. he said yes a 2006 and the radiator was replaced

Bad Radiator
By Nate

2006 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV 4WD (4.6L 8cyl 6A)

*Contact Ford about your BAD RADIATOR! I have a 2006 Ford Explorer and I have had the same "bad radiator" experience that many other people have posted about. At 45,000 miles it started to leek and finally began to separate from the vehicle. I wrote a letter to Ford about the problem and they sent a letter back to me with a number to call. I called and spoke with a representative who took down all of my info, she told me if they get enough complaints they will post a recall and we can get a reimbursement for the repairs we had to pay for. If you haven't already contacted them, do it!

Must do a recall for the radiator problems they are having.

Bad radiator
By gn

2006 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

It will surge at slow speeds while going forward or reverse. Now at 41,000 miles the radiator has sprung a leak. The dealer says this is the first they have heard of explorers having radiator problems. A fun thing to do is when you see someone with a 2006 explorer ask them if they have replaced the radiator yet. You get a surprised look and an answer like "how did you know?"

Ford needs to own up to the bad radiators and stand behind the product.