2006 Ford Explorer - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Explorer model:
fantastic vehicle
By jarrad on 10/23/09 20:31 PM (PDT)

2006 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I have had alot of vehicles before, this has been one of the best. I was scared at first of buying a ford so I bought a service contact for repairs. I have not had one thing go wrong in the vehcle. I would buy another one again.

Radiator Problems
By jashmon on 10/21/09 15:35 PM (PDT)

2006 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Bought the 2006 Ford Explorer, Eddie Bauer edition, and thought I had a great deal. Wrong!! Had to replace the radiator and thermosatat in October 2009 because of a leak cost me $823.00. I've owned a lot of cars, older and newer, and have never had to replace the radiator. Get this...the radiator is not covered by the warranty or the extended warranty I bought from Ford. My next and future vehicles WILL NOT be a Ford. Foreign cars here I come.

Ford Certified ???
By Tim on 09/30/09 20:03 PM (PDT)

2006 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Bought this Ford used two months ago with a Ford Certified guarantee. 169 point inspection? Well, they missed a few things... almost immediatly we noticed a hesitation when accelerating on the highway, but it was rare and never presented when we took it to the shop. Over the last month it was more frequent and this week when we took it in they said the transmission needed to be replaced. While working on it, they also found the radiator has a leak and will need to be replaced. This is a 3 year old truck with 55,000 miles! Not what we expected from Ford.

Never again
By Rebecah on 08/12/09 13:44 PM (PDT)

2006 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

This is my first (and LAST) Ford. 2 radiator replacements. The heater does not work anymore and I now have to replace the housing and gasket which supplies coolant to the radiator. Waste of $ and time. This is not a reliable vehicle.

Luv almost all of it!
By Scotch&Cigars on 08/03/09 19:26 PM (PDT)

2006 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I purchased my SUV with 40000 miles. I now have about 72000 miles and have had nothing but good luck with it. Although the gas mileage is a little lower than I'd like, I bought an SUV, so I'm not going to complain. No problems with the power train, electronics, or anything else with the mechanics. The only problem has been with the front driver's seat comfort. A large person must have owned it prior to me and mashed out the seat, which I didn't notice until I sat for a longer drive.

Someone Take Mine!
By M. Murphy on 05/26/09 10:53 AM (PDT)

2006 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Year 1: gear shifter replaced. Dash electronics went nuts and computer needed to be reset. Year 2: rear shocks blew out (I have a 4 mile commute!) Exhaust hose blew and fuel filter resembled that of a car with 100k miles. Both replaced. Currently in the shop because the transmission feels like it is ready to drop. Car has 24k miles.

Chronic radiator problems
By Wendy on 05/11/09 16:11 PM (PDT)

2006 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV 4WD (4.6L 8cyl 6A)

Bought my Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer when it was just 2 years old. I've had it for 9 1/2 months and am on the 6th radiator! Yes, you heard correctly...even a reputable Ford auto shop can not find the source of the problem. So the radiator keeps getting replaced and every 1-2 months (this time it was literally only a matter of 1 week!)...it ends up leaking radiator fluid everywhere, overheating and roaring/not running properly. This was the worst purchase I've ever made and now I fell totally stuck. I HATE this car and will NEVER EVER EVER buy Ford again...Nothing but a big hassle, headache, money pit and inconvenience.

Great So Far
By xploder06 on 04/21/09 18:26 PM (PDT)

2006 Ford Explorer Limited 4dr SUV 4WD (4.6L 8cyl 6A)

I have had this vehicle going on almost 3 years and love it! First, the negatives. The first year I owned it I had the 4WD motor and shifter replaced. During the second year, I experienced the common "clunk" when starting from rest or moving slowly then pressing on the gas. Initially, dealer replaced faulty transmission part and re-flashed computer. Computer had to be re-flashed again recently to totally fix the problem. All covered under warranty. Now the positives. The cabin is ultra quiet when driving highway speeds of 65 mph or more. Lots of cargo space, decent performance, and very comfortable seats on long trips. Best mid-sized SUV out there IMO!

Please buy it back
By exploder on 03/05/09 17:18 PM (PST)

2006 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV 4WD (4.6L 8cyl 6A)

Short list of problems on the day of delivery lenses were full of water radio did not work in the past two years air con quit seat quit working right rear half shaft broke.Rear door filed with water,complete new muffler system,rear lense filled with water,rear sensing system failed door closed sensor as failed wiper motor drowns out radio.Passenger seat air sensor failed .Battery dead after two years Transmission continues to bang but they tell me this is normal.I have ask my dealer service dept to work some magic and turn it into a toyota i could go on and on but I would not want to put anyone of buying one LOL

Won't buy another Ford
By B on 02/07/09 20:54 PM (PST)

2006 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

We are a Ford family...have 4 of them. My next vehicle will not be a Ford. I have had nothing but one problem after another with my Explorer from day one it seems. Blinkers and tail lights have gone out repeatedly and had to be replaced, dealership would have done it at no charge if I wanted to leave it all day to have a bulb replaced. Gear shift locks up, take it in and they aren't sure how to fix it even though it's a known issue with Explorers. Now my radiator is leaking. Glad it's under warranty, thinking I ought to just trade it in before that changes or it will cost me a fortune.

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.