Used 2006 Ford Explorer Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Ford Explorer - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Explorer model:

Bad Radiator
By Mike S.

2006 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

2006 Ford Explorer From what i am reading it looks like our 2006 explorers are having radiator problems. I got the truck new in 2006 and in less then 1 year had to have the radiator replaced. the 2nd radiator is starting to give me problems now at about 40k miles. i notice my recovery tank getting low on coolant. I don't see any leaks but i can smell it. I took it to the dealer for a pressure test but they say they can't find a problem. Over all i don't have any other problems so far with the truck. I was at a Lowe's store and i parked my explorer next to another explorer. I asked the owner if his was a 2006 and if he had any problems. he said yes a 2006 and the radiator was replaced

Bad Radiator
By Nate

2006 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV 4WD (4.6L 8cyl 6A)

*Contact Ford about your BAD RADIATOR! I have a 2006 Ford Explorer and I have had the same "bad radiator" experience that many other people have posted about. At 45,000 miles it started to leek and finally began to separate from the vehicle. I wrote a letter to Ford about the problem and they sent a letter back to me with a number to call. I called and spoke with a representative who took down all of my info, she told me if they get enough complaints they will post a recall and we can get a reimbursement for the repairs we had to pay for. If you haven't already contacted them, do it!

Must do a recall for the radiator problems they are having.

Bad radiator
By gn

2006 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

It will surge at slow speeds while going forward or reverse. Now at 41,000 miles the radiator has sprung a leak. The dealer says this is the first they have heard of explorers having radiator problems. A fun thing to do is when you see someone with a 2006 explorer ask them if they have replaced the radiator yet. You get a surprised look and an answer like "how did you know?"

Ford needs to own up to the bad radiators and stand behind the product.

NoMoreFords
By NoMoreFords

2006 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Thank God for the extended warranty. 3 radiators, 1 A/C, shifter column, back windshield motor, tire sensor, and 4 other problems later I'm done with Ford. Several problems lurking too (transmission, 4 wheel drive). This vehicle is a piece of junk after 20,000 miles. Too bad cause I like the styling. Trading it in soon for a 4Runner. Resale value was surprising positive.

Transmission
By AmandaP

2006 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I didn't have any problems with this car, in fact, I bragged to my husband all the time about how much I loved it. Then at 55,000 miles I was broke down on the side of the road an hour away from home because the transmission went out with no warning. Then it cost $2,200 to fix it.

The size is perfect.