Used 2006 Ford Explorer Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Ford Explorer - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Explorer model:

Bad radiator!
By Cosmoang

2006 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Loved it until last week at 60k miles it takes me forever to shift into reverse. Then once in reverse it feels like I was rear ended. Now it shifts hard while going down the hwy. A little ticked that Ford refuses to acknowledge the transmission issue the explorers are having. Guess that what I get for buying American!

Love this tank
By spidermann59

2006 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 6A)

Loved it the moment I saw it. I love driving it anywhere, anytime. The v8 is the way to go with the towing package, you can haul anything. Bought the Eddie Bauer with the all the goodies and I drive it with the sun roof open and the stereo blasting with 292 hp available she is the bomb. When my wife lets me drive it.

#1 Sun roof, heated seats, overhead air conditioning, booming radio, mustang engine!

Adjustable suspension.

Not radiator, check your head gasket
By Tanner

2006 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I went through 5 radiators before I figured out I had a blown head gasket. Now, my block is warped which happens to all 06-07 4.0's when they overheat.

Recall the Radiator!
By Sukijoe

2006 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I bought my Explorer with 18000mi. in Feb of 09'. Thought I was in heaven till the engine started making a hideous noise, pulled off highway, dash went red and car shut off! Has 42,212 miles, Ford will not make good on this. Again, they say they've never heard of this! I think it's time for the Attorney General's office to step in. No warning of this! They tell me it's a maintenance issue. I also have a 96' Explorer with 257000 miles that my son is now driving! I seem to have maintained that without a problem! Been driving Ford for 26 years! How 'bout something for loyalty? Anything but this. There is a $5,680 price tag on a new engine and radiator. Really Ford? Quality is not job one.

I could go anywhere in this! (when it was running)

Recall the radiator and check the warning system so that we don't have to replace an engine on a low mileage car and you blame us for the issue and pretend you never heard of it. This is laughable.

Bad Radiator
By Mike S.

2006 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

2006 Ford Explorer From what i am reading it looks like our 2006 explorers are having radiator problems. I got the truck new in 2006 and in less then 1 year had to have the radiator replaced. the 2nd radiator is starting to give me problems now at about 40k miles. i notice my recovery tank getting low on coolant. I don't see any leaks but i can smell it. I took it to the dealer for a pressure test but they say they can't find a problem. Over all i don't have any other problems so far with the truck. I was at a Lowe's store and i parked my explorer next to another explorer. I asked the owner if his was a 2006 and if he had any problems. he said yes a 2006 and the radiator was replaced