5 Months with the '06 XLT
By Katz on
2006 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)
I've had this '06 XLT for almost 5 months now. I had an '04 before, and I can tell you the '06 is a vast improvement. The ride is better, interior comfort is better, and the build quality is much superior. There are some quirky features on the interior that you have to put up with, but I understand that some of these (the door handles for one) will be corrected on the '07. My highway gas mileage (21.5) is substantially better than the '04 (17.5), although I think my '04 never did run right.
Favorite Features
I like the gauges, the ESC, the stereo quality, the ride and the overall quietness of the vehicle. I drive over 2,000 miles a month for business, plus take the vehicle off road to job locations, so I need a comfortable 4WD.
Suggested Improvements
Fix the quirky dash (it looks pieced together) and the door handles (people who ride in this vehicle the first time can't find the door release). Also, the rear head rests need fixing, they tend to block the rear view. I actually keep them folded down when no one is riding in the back.