Used 2006 Ford Explorer SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Ford Explorer SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Explorer model:

5 stars for me
By tempist1

2006 Ford Explorer SUV XLS 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I bought this explorer awhile ago and put a lot of miles on it. I have never had a problem with it at all. I always get the regular oil changes, brakes etc. I have had Chryslers and gm vehicles that are completely worthless but so far with all of the Ford products I have purchased, I have been very lucky. This Explorer is great for everything from handling to pulling. Maybe some of the others out there may have been a bad batch or something. So far so good. All 5 Fords that I have owned I have taken over 100,000 miles with no problems at all and I hope this explorer will be the same. I will write another review if it's not.

4 wheel drive with excellent turning radious.It's power. It's looks are very striking.

Include more 3rd row seating it more models. Work on better gas mileage.

Do Not Buy This Car!!!!!
By snooker84

2006 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Horrible car, Other reviews on here are extremely accurate, bad trannys, bad radiators, electricolosis, transfercase leaked after 40,000 miles, went thru 3 radiators, 2 transmistions, door handles breaking off every few months, overall, very baaaad vehicle..they look and drive well but i don't trust them :(

2006 traded for a 2004 Tahoe thats better
By chevylover229

2006 Ford Explorer SUV XLS 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

we have 7 kids (4 at the time we bought it in(2006) it looked OK, were we ever wrong. The only good thing about it was it broke down under warranty(16,320 miles) it was used with 15,000 miles on it we barley owned it. every thing under the hood needed to be fixed, Everything. and ford wouldn't fix it. and it was under warranty.

stop selling explorers.

Beautiful Car...Worthless!!
By samoanmadness

2006 Ford Explorer SUV Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 6A)

So, I find my soulmate...Sleek Black, sunroof, powered everything, leather seats, shiny rims, and a third row of seats for my family. Now, Im crying that I have to trade it in. After investing over $7,000 in repairs, I am Done. Here are the repairs -$2,500 For Complete Transmission Overhaul -$2,500 For Complete Cooling System Change (new radiator, water pump...ect) -$200.00 For Transfer Case Filter change -$400.00 Raplacement of Wheel Berring -$1,100 To Replace all Wheels with Guarentee Guess What? Now, There is a Random Misfire and no one knows how to fix it!! My guess....another $850.00 (including a new cat. converter) worth of repairs!! I am now officially giving up on Ford!!

Looks, Looks, Looks...

My suggestion is that this vehicle be Recalled!! I have done my homework and am seeing a ton of reviews similar to mine, but broken up between consumers. Many complaints on the cooling system. Many complaints on the Transmission. Many complaints on my new problem.......Severe hesitation and jerking with a rotten egg smell. It remains as to how many complaints there are not reported. The gov.has a site called "Safer Car" that allows people with these issues to call their complaints in. I believe that a Recall is needed for this vehicle.

Seized Engine due to Overheating WithOut any Warning
By tinman69

2006 Ford Explorer SUV XLS 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Our Explorer got warm once . Gauge shot from normal to 3/4 of the way up then went down, then shot almost to the red. I pulled over added water after waiting 45 minutes to cool engine (cool winter night) . There was no more overheating indicated & was driven a few more miles before the engine seized without Any indication of anything wrong . Dealer says piston is fused to block & will cost $ 5,100 for New ford engine, doesn't mention about the cause of the problem, most likely the Manufacturer Defective Radiator or the Head Gasket is to blame from my research on this Model/Year (06/07) of Ford. Transmission is sure to go out soon I fear

It's an American Car. HATE that It Is A Ford and has Problems. All my uncles are mechanics and, except for major engine and tranny work, I replace and repair all on my own vehicle (this is my Fiancee's) . This is the worst reviewed vehicle I have ever seen.

RUN from this (2006) and 2007's FOrd Explorers They stink