2006 Ford Explorer - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Explorer model:
Radiator broke again
By Adam on 07/02/10 00:04 AM (PDT)

2006 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I bought the explorer with about 17,000 miles 3 years ago. At approximately 34,000 miles the radiator sprung a leak. While the dealer was fixing the leak they broke 2 instrument clusters. Just this week the radiator started leaking again. The dealership stated it would be at least $1,000.00 to fix it. After complaining to the dealership they said they will help with some of the costs. Ford needs to step up and do something about this radiator problem. I am a huge Ford fan and I have owned numerous ford vehicles, but this is the most disappointed I have been with a Ford vehicle.

Junk!
By sjoyl61 on 07/01/10 16:19 PM (PDT)

2006 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 6A)

Purchased Explorer new, started having trouble at 415 miles. 1. shifter wouldn't move. 2. jerks when stopping, feels like someone hit the back end. 3. shifts hard 4. cruise stuck 5. replaced radiator. 6. FORD WILL NOT FIX OR BACK THEIR PRODUCT! Dealership claims Ford Motor Co. said not to try and fix it. Have purchased Fords for 30 years, will never buy another. Can't even get rid of this overpriced piece of junk.

Legit Ride
By Hunter on 06/17/10 13:52 PM (PDT)

2006 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Great all around car. Have a few complaints about the fuel economy, but it's a SUV so what do you expect. Not too many problems, only a few weird sounds here and there. I'm a 16 year old guy and it gets me and my friends here, there and then some. I love the room it has, and the stock sound system. The performance is great for big SUV with a V6. Looks great too. Everyone that rides in it loves it, and I do too. Great buy. Consider this instead of a car.

2006 Explorer Issues
By DeJarnette23 on 06/15/10 18:07 PM (PDT)

2006 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I bought this Explorer in 12/08 with only 20k miles and it was in pristine shape inside & out. Around 30k miles, I noticed that it would occasionally shift hard into reverse and finally took it in a month ago at 40k miles after reading many of these posts. Needless to say they had to rebuild the tranny, luckily it was under the drivetrain warranty. At 35k miles I replaced the radiator, which appears to be another huge issue with this model. As soon as the warranty is up, this thing is destined for sale or trade.

Transmission issues- BAD!
By DawnLowery on 06/02/10 10:29 AM (PDT)

2006 Ford Explorer Limited 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I have had plenty of Explorers but my 2006 limited was final purchase for awhile and the plan was to "drive it till the wheels fall off," I am not a heavy driver. My commute to work is about 20 miles total. I took the Explorer in for service after the second year of owning it. I was told I had "cracked hoses" and that was why my fluids leaked. I mentioned all the complaints that I saw on the internet with radiators, the ford garage did not know of any "problems." They fixed it and then the next summer it was leaking again. I was told that was "normal" in the summer and was talked out of making an appointment. Just after 36,000 miles I was then told my radiator was shot.

Radiator Problems
By Rod on 05/14/10 05:47 AM (PDT)

2006 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

You will have radiator problems with this vehicle and all repair shops know this is a common problem. I thought I had transmission problems but discovered my radiator was empty and the fail safe mode caused shifting and engine performance changes as designed. This could be a nice car but Ford needs to recall the transmission, they are aware of numerous complaints with tranny and radiator problems.

Recall the Radiators!
By arichmond on 04/27/10 13:43 PM (PDT)

2006 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Purchased this car w/12k miles, @ 36,900 miles the radiator & thermostat went out only 900 miles over warranty the dealership declined to cover the repairs. @ 38k the radiator and thermostat went out again! Took it back to the dealership & once again they would not negotiate the manufacturer warranty because it was a few hundred miles over. Took it to another repair shop got it fixed AGAIN so about 5 grand later of repairs 3 thermostats 3 radiators later I hate my Ford and will never buy again. I think its a heap of crap that an american company will not supply a better warranty for us or at least give a little wiggle room on the warranty's.

No More Fords
By Jim on 04/12/10 12:38 PM (PDT)

2006 Ford Explorer Limited 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 6A)

Here is the issue..bought new 2006 Ford Explorer; thought I'd buy American; big big mistake; numerous mechanical problems latest is the transmission. (Numerous problems with Radiator has leak-could be another $1,000.) Dealer advises could be low of $1,700- $3,000. to repair/replace. Many Internet sites from buyers suggest this is a manufacturing defect; some suggest the updated operating software could have helped; both for the trans and the radiator. SUV has only 29,000 miles on it; check the internet 100's of problems with the transmission. Ford consumer services really doesn't care. I will never buy a Ford product again. I am shopping foreign SUVs now.

no problems here
By jim g on 03/16/10 15:44 PM (PDT)

2006 Ford Explorer Limited 4dr SUV 4WD (4.6L 8cyl 6A)

This is my 3rd Explore and by far my best. Plenty of power and the ride is very smooth. Every feature works as expected. Very stable on the highway and easy to drive in town. No comparison to the explores of the early years.

Heap of JUNK!!
By Fee on 02/23/10 20:08 PM (PST)

2006 Ford Explorer XLS 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

At this current time my Ford 2006 Explorer XLS is at the service department at the purchase dealership. This time it was returned for the recall on and having too heavily accelerate when in reverse and especially in drive. They think it maybe an engine or transmission problem at (108000 miles). The joke is the transmission is sealed and must be returned to the service department for servicing and of course money. Also, the radiator has been replaced twice. I am very afraid to maintain this vehicle due to the current and previous mechanical problems. This vehicle is American Made but itís a heap of joke and I wonder was it assembled on Monday or Friday.

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.